Meaning of Luke 12:10

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheMilkman

I am sure this has been answered before, but this verse really worries me. What does the verse Luke 12:10 mean? Here is what it says in the NAB (the KJV and others are almost identical on this verse):

"Everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but the one who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven."

Then in Mark 3:29 the bible says:

"Whosoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit can never have forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin."

poppinskw

Senior Contributor
Apr 17, 2005
✟20,994.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
TheMilkman said:
I am sure this has been answered before, but this verse really worries me. What does the verse Luke 12:10 mean? Here is what it says in the NAB (the KJV and others are almost identical on this verse):

"Everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but the one who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven."

Then in Mark 3:29 the bible says:

"Whosoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit can never have forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin."

Also in Matthew 12:31,

blasphemy against the Spirit. Technically, according to the scribes, blaspehemy involved direct and explicit abuse of the divine name. Jesus here teaches that it also may be the reviling of God by attributing the Spirit's work to satan. Some believe that this sin cannot be committed today, but I am not convinced of that.

Les

Upvote 0
T

TheMilkman

poppinskw said:
Yes that would be blasphemy, but I believe you know that.. I am sorry that you did not think that my definition was clear enough for you, I did the best I could.

Les

Eek, I just reread what I wrote. I came off as really rude and I appologize. It is 4:30am so bare with me. All I meant was I still don't understand, not that your definition was inadaquate for more intelligent people.

Upvote 0

Y_Cathol

Ego Sum Servus Iesu Christi - I am an exile.
May 17, 2004
Alberton
Visit site
✟17,424.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Ok... let's put it this way: Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit - the Unforgivable Sin, is Final Impenetance, that is, Dying in a State of Mortal Sin - ie. rejecting Sanctifying Grace.

So, if we reject Sanctifying grace, we reject God, and therefore Blaspheme against the Holy Spirit, as we reject Him...

does that make any sense??? -- (I'm not so good with words :p )

Upvote 0

BrotherKnight

Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.
Oct 24, 2005
Mesa, AZ
✟16,914.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Y_Cathol said:
Ok... let's put it this way: Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit - the Unforgivable Sin, is Final Impenetance, that is, Dying in a State of Mortal Sin - ie. rejecting Sanctifying Grace.
Another thing people forget (related to this) is that God wishes to bestow on us Sanctifying Grace even more than we ourselves wish to receive it...meditate on that for a while. ;)

Upvote 0

geocajun

Priest of the holy smackrament
Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Y_Cathol said:

So, if we reject Sanctifying grace, we reject God, and therefore Blaspheme against the Holy Spirit, as we reject Him...

does that make any sense??? -- (I'm not so good with words :p )
I think you said it quite well :thumbsup:

1864 "Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven." There are no limits to the mercy of God, but anyone who deliberately refuses to accept his mercy by repenting, rejects the forgiveness of his sins and the salvation offered by the Holy Spirit. Such hardness of heart can lead to final impenitence and eternal loss.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

geocajun

Priest of the holy smackrament
Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
TheMilkman said:
Define "Sanctifying Grace." So basically what it is, is denying God up until death?
technically, the call to repent is prevenient grace, while sanctifying grace is the grace which helps us grow and conform more to Christ - it us the grace by which we increase in virtue. However you get the general idea here, which is that the unforgivible sin is refusing God's mercy, love, and ones salvation.

Upvote 0

BrotherKnight

Oct 24, 2005
Mesa, AZ
✟16,914.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Tonks said:
Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is dying in a state of unrepentence. It's pretty simple. Some folks add presumption and despair as descrete categories as well. Check EWTN....
That's because a person who perseveres in presumption believes that they do not need to repent; and the person who perseveres in despair believes that repenting will not help - therefore neither person repents and the perseverence of such leads to eternal damnation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tonks

No longer here
Site Supporter
Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟49,042.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian
BrotherKnight said:
That's because a person who perseveres in presumption believes that they do not need to repent; and the person who perseveres in despair believes that repenting will not help - therefore neither person repents and the perseverence of such leads to eternal damnation.

I know...jus' spellin it out.....

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟438,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Yep yep...lack of faith in Him.

Blaspheming the Lord and His Spirit is not believing, and truly if you believe, you are not blaspheming.

This takes in a few things.....and it is a broad enough brush to paint with that we can sin against the Spirit in a few ways.

But disregarding Him in these ways is all one sin.

Ex; Distrusting His Authority to maintain Church error free.
Suicide, and not believing in His grace.
Denying He is part of the Trinity.
Denial He exists...

These are a few examples of how we can Blaspheme Him.

Hope I make sense...and this is the various ways we can show lack of respect for Him.

Anyone disagree?
:scratch:

Upvote 0

BrotherKnight

Oct 24, 2005
Mesa, AZ
✟16,914.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
TheMilkman said:
Well until recently as a lot of you know I have been an atheist. That means I have done all the things WarriorAngel mentioned except for suicide of course. So does that mean I will go to hell no matter what even though I believe in God?
Only if you perservere in those things until the end...

Repent. Confess your sins. Sin no more. Strive to know and love God above all things. Persevere in this!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.