Me-What's the real reason I oppose war?

GTX

<font size=1><font color=gray><b>Rapid Transit Aut
Nov 24, 2001
✟1,444.00
Susan,

Matthew 24:7. "Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom." Also in the previous verse he said, "You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come."

It is quite apparent that war is a necessity and a tool of God for His purposes, even if it is us who must instigate or defend in the name of peace.

Upvote 0

Tami

Your friendly neighborhood FUNdie at your service!
Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
✟8,668.00
Faith
Protestant
Upvote 0

datan

Nov 16, 2002
Visit site
✟6,836.00
Faith
Protestant
Upvote 0

datan

Nov 16, 2002
Visit site
✟6,836.00
Faith
Protestant
Yesterday at 11:16 PM NurseMK said this in Post #58 (http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?postid=665920#post665920)

THIS IS A FREE COUNTRY. I CALL HIM MR PRESIDENT BUSH. NO ONE CAN STOP ME!

it's a free country (which country are you referring to btw? the forum's founded is based in Australia, people from all around the world post here), but this forum isn't as free. It has rules, by which you have to abide.

Upvote 0

O'Mara

<marquee behavior=scroll direction=left scrollamou
Apr 6, 2002
All over.
✟374.00
Today at 02:13 AM RufusAtticus said this in Post #63 (http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?postid=666218#post666218)

What about football coaches? Does this apply only to presidents or to any public figure?

No,

I just wonder when respect for figures of authority went down the tubes in this country.

Was no one here brought up to call elders "Mr." and "Mrs." or Police Officers "Officer" etc.

Maybe it's just my personal background, but in my social circle, even if I don't like the President, they still deserve the respect and honors granted to them by my government, and I am expected to show that respect as a civilized and sensative person.

And it is just common courtesy to refer to leaders of other countries by their titles to avoid alienating those from that country.

It is rather arogant for someone to believe that they have the right to denounce someone's title based on their own personal beliefs about the person.

Upvote 0

My Higher Self

Sense Offender
Aug 20, 2002
Florida
✟880.00
Yesterday at 08:52 PM Annabel Lee said this in Post #60

And please don't try to silence me by insisiting I take the entire bible literally. I don't appreciate it.

So let me recap here, because I think I may be hearing this incorrectly.....you think the bible is wrong? :scratch:&nbsp; Is that right...because by saying that you shouldn't follow the advice of Romans 13 that's what you are doing...correct?

Or maybe since you insist on not taking it literally, what you really mean is that the bible is not accurate?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

YouthPastor

Name = Brett
Feb 11, 2003
Visit site
✟8,526.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As for Iraq:
this current situation is here because Hussein signed a cease-fire agreement that said we would let him remain in power and "end" the gulf war on the basis that he would dis-arm. He said he would destroy ALL weapons of mass destruction etc.. He said Inspectors could some in and oversee that it was all destroyed. He kicked them out in '98 - He still had WMD - Currently - he has not proved nor even said that the weapons he had are destroyed. He will not say anything about the weapons we knew he had when the inspectors left in 98. So because he dodges that issue, one can only assume he still has them.

The coming war is a continuation of the gulf war. Hussein HAS NOT complied with the cease-fire agreement that HE signed

Upvote 0

Angel75

Sep 28, 2002
✟805.00
Yesterday at 09:46 PM datan said this in Post #43

um...does this remind anyone else about Nazi Germany...?

Wow. If I were you, I would be embarrassed about comparing Bush to Hitler. lets look at this....hitler murdered savagely innocent men women and children for being jews. Bush is threatening to war against a man who has proven in the past to not care about his civilians, harm and kill them, and now has shown it is likely to be carrying and hiding&nbsp;weapons of mass destruction.&nbsp;&nbsp; OOOOH bush so bad. gimme a break, if you arent going to respond with something intelligent dont respond to me at all.

***hnot sure if the above is a "personal attack" or not...editing to say if it is mods, go ahead and remove it...did not intend for it to be

Upvote 0

Evangelion

<b><font size="2">δυνατός</b></font>
She's not a "pick and chooser." She's actually a Catholic. Now, you tell me - are Catholics "pickers and choosers"?

I don't think you know what the word "literal" means in this context, anyway.

Perhaps if you weren't so bent on insulting other people, you might start to realise what's actually being said here. :cool:

Upvote 0
Today at 02:17 PM YouthPastor said this in Post #71 (http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?postid=667236#post667236)

The coming war is a continuation of the gulf war. Hussein HAS NOT complied with the cease-fire agreement that HE signed

I mostly agree with you, but I think there's more to the upcoming war than there was to the last war. Human rights and terrorism weren't an issue last time, but now they've been put to the front.
Was it planned all along to remove Hussein from power last time? I was under the impression that war was waged to get Hussein out of Kuwait.

Upvote 0

My Higher Self

Sense Offender
Aug 20, 2002
Florida
✟880.00
Okay, lets break this down.....

Romans 13, 1. Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God. 2. Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.

Either you believe this to be the word of God or you don't. If this passage doesn't apply to you or the way you live your christian life then what passage does. I think the point Angel is trying to make is that you can use the bible as an excuse to say "Gay people are wrong and bad" and then turn around and ignore this passage because it doesn't suit your fancy. Its an all or nothing proposition...and if its not, then you are simply "picking and choosing" the passages you find help you in your case. If any single passage does not hold true, then that speaks for all the passages and the bible becomes nothing but a historical document....

And according to dictionary.com there doesn't seem to be a lot of lee way on the term literal

lit·er·al ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ltr-l)
adj.
-Being in accordance with, conforming to, or upholding the exact or primary meaning of a word or words.
-Word for word; verbatim: a literal translation.
-Avoiding exaggeration, metaphor, or embellishment; factual; prosaic: a literal description; a literal mind.
-Consisting of, using, or expressed by letters: literal notation.
-Conforming or limited to the simplest, nonfigurative, or most obvious meaning of a word or words.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Angel75

Sep 28, 2002
✟805.00
Today at 03:43 PM Evangelion said this in Post #74

She's not a "pick and chooser." She's actually a Catholic. Now, you tell me - are Catholics "pickers and choosers"?

I don't think you know what the word "literal" means in this context, anyway.

Perhaps if you weren't so bent on insulting other people, you might start to realise what's actually being said here. :cool:

By saying I have more respect for a christian who believes the book to be literal is not insulting those who don't. I am not friends with fundies...I do however have friends who consider themselves liberal christians....I don't have to agree with their choices&nbsp; and think they are reasonable to be friends with them. I love them and accept them, flaws and all :) I simply still think it makes more sense to believe it all if you are going to believe a bit. I won't argue that point.

And don't bring in Anabel Lee...I am making a general reference to liberal vs literal....Dont make this personal. Again..though I would enjoy the company, and morals and views of a liberal christian as opposed to a fundamentalist....I DO NOT AGREE WITH what I consider to be picking and choosing. I was in no way insulting her.

Upvote 0

Angel75

Sep 28, 2002
✟805.00
I will respond to whatever I like....someone needs to get their mod hat resized, think yours is too small. The post that was removed of mine was in no way insulting. It says a lot about those managing this board that it was taken so. adios CF see ya in my next CF incarnation...due to arguing with the almitey mods :bow: I am sure to be banned...so save the time, this isnt a fine enough establishment to kick me out :D

Upvote 0

datan

Nov 16, 2002
Visit site
✟6,836.00
Faith
Protestant
Today at 02:17 PM YouthPastor said this in Post #71 (http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?postid=667236#post667236)

As for Iraq:
this current situation is here because Hussein signed a cease-fire agreement that said we would let him remain in power and "end" the gulf war on the basis that he would dis-arm. He said he would destroy ALL weapons of mass destruction etc.. He said Inspectors could some in and oversee that it was all destroyed. He kicked them out in '98 - He still had WMD - Currently - he has not proved nor even said that the weapons he had are destroyed. He will not say anything about the weapons we knew he had when the inspectors left in 98. So because he dodges that issue, one can only assume he still has them.

that may be true--but its up to the United Nations Security Council--which implemented the ceasefire--to decide, not President Bush or Prime Minister Blair.

Upvote 0