• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

McConnell: No Senate Republicans will back Biden on $4T (msn.com)

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by ArmenianJohn, May 3, 2021.

1. TLK Valentine

TLK Valentine You will be who you will be. We are our choices.

+25,834
    Agnostic
    Single
    Well, that tooth ain't getting any better.

Would you prefer to call it an infrastructure/jobs/families bill?

2. ArmenianJohn

ArmenianJohn Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist

+4,515
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Nobody has proposed 4 Trillion in boondoggles. Please provide your source for that, if you have one (but I'm sure you don't).

3. ArmenianJohn

ArmenianJohn Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist

+4,515
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Why shouldn't I believe "this" and why should I believe that the bill will be laden with "pork"? What is "pork" anyway? I know what you think it means, but I don't see how funding things is "pork" except when it's done out of proportion to favor certain places over others, which is S.O.P. for Republicans but not for Democrats.

You don't provide anything other than your own subjective and biased opinion so why would I change to agree with you?

4. Hammster

Hammster Can you describe the ruckus? Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+21,192
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Sure it will. There are more than one dentist.
    Sure, if we’d drop the jobs/families part.

5. Hammster

+21,192
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    I couldn’t imagine what I could say that would cause you to change your mind.

6. Oneiric1975

Oneiric1975 Well-Known Member

+624
    United States
    Seeker
    In Relationship
    Is there a problem with investing in jobs and families in the US?

7. Hammster

+21,192
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Not at all. I do it every day.

8. Oneiric1975

+624
    United States
    Seeker
    In Relationship
    Then why would you feel it should be pulled out of the "Infrastructure" funding?

9. morningstar2651

morningstar2651 Senior Veteran

+2,429
    Pagan
    Single
    US-Others
    A compromise is an agreement or a settlement of a dispute that is reached by each side making concessions. The purpose of making compromises in Congress is to get enough votes for a bill to pass.
    • There is no need to compromise if a bill will pass without compromises.

10. Hammster

+21,192
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Because it’s not infrastructure.

11. Hammster

+21,192
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    So much for that unity he talked about. It was probably just another gaffe.

12. Oneiric1975

+624
    United States
    Seeker
    In Relationship
    But the other poster suggested changing the name to Infrastructure/Families/Jobs and you suggested getting rid of the families and jobs stuff.

13. morningstar2651

+2,429
    Pagan
    Single
    US-Others
    Yes, if you consider what the return on investment is. I'll try to avoid going into too much depth about finance and simplify this explanation:

Some of the things you spend money on will earn you value in the future, and some things will not earn you more value in the future (or not enough to justify the expense). For example, making community college tuition-free for all Americans would cause a measurable increase in GDP, increase the pace of technological innovation, and generally improve the quality of life for all Americans (even those that don't take advantage of extra free education).

Some things you spend money on, such as a national stockpile of ventilators or funding firefighters in your town won't immediately or consistently return value to you, but will be worth it if things go wrong.

Tax cuts generally only help the wealthy - the people that own land and businesses. Those benefits don't "trickle-down".

We can't pay our debts by spending less. The only solution to the debts added by deficit spending is to increase taxes.

Oddly enough, increasing taxes also reduces deficit spending.

14. morningstar2651

+2,429
    Pagan
    Single
    US-Others
    Unity doesn't mean that every member of congress is in agreement about everything. That's not how democracy works.

Unity and Compromise mean allowing votes on the bills the president doesn't like and being willing to make changes and compromises on the things that are unlikely to have enough votes to pass.

This was a problem when Mitch McConnell was the majority leader. The senate majority leader should not have unilateral power to prevent bills from being discussed or voted on, but he did.

15. Hammster

+21,192
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Yes.

16. Hammster

+21,192
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Like I said. Deficits are good if you agree with the use of the money.

17. Hammster

+21,192
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Unity does mean trying to unify. We aren’t seeing that.

18. morningstar2651

+2,429
    Pagan
    Single
    US-Others
    Can you describe what you want to see?

19. Hammster

+21,192
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Biden keeping his word. ^_^.

Just kidding. We all know that won’t happen.

20. Oneiric1975

+624
    United States
    Seeker
    In Relationship
    So are you saying that you would support programs to provide money for infrastructure, families and jobs? Or just infrastructure?