✟839,413.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
1) his role in passing an immediate COVID bill
(personally, I favor passing a bill that focuses only on distribution of the vaccine, while they spend some time on the stimulus)

2) how fast to act on Biden's appointments
(he could push them through, or force Biden to put Acting folks in charge)

3) how to vote on impeachment
(presumably, he has the influence to assure conviction or to assure acquittal)
(conviction would be a huge plus for McConnell, reducing the power of the Trumpers)

4) how much to cooperate with Biden on critical legislation
(he can control whether almost any bills get the required 60 votes)

Last edited:

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟329,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think you are forgetting that McConnell will not be Senate Majority leader much longer. While he still has some decisions to make, he won't be able to stop or slow down Biden's appointments. He can use the filibuster to stop, or slow, legislation (such as Coronavirus relief), or to attempt to force Democrats to compromise on some issues.

And I would hope McConnell does not want to cause "distribution of the virus." It sounded funny, though I'm sure you meant distribution of the vaccine.

Upvote 0

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟264,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
If I’m Schumer, I wouldn’t let the threat of a filibuster scare me out of legislation, especially COVID relief. If Republicans want to hold up the bill, make them stand on the Senate floor and read out of the phone book. The optics will look great on the nightly news as people are suffering, Republicans are reading recipes out of a Julia Child’s cookbook to stop anything from going through.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,413.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If I’m Schumer, I wouldn’t let the threat of a filibuster scare me out of legislation, especially COVID relief. If Republicans want to hold up the bill, make them stand on the Senate floor and read out of the phone book. The optics will look great on the nightly news as people are suffering, Republicans are reading recipes out of a Julia Child’s cookbook to stop anything from going through.

I might mention that a least one Democrat would have no interest in a 2 trillion dollar bill that spends a lot more than might be necessary at the present time. There is no reasons for the Republicans to agree to a Democratic wish list.

The optics are fine. There is no election for two years. The Republicans can propose a counter proposal that includes specific portions of the Democratic bill, indicating that they would support most sections, including their exact language.

You seem to believe that the Democratic bill would acceptable and doesn't include poison pills. I find that unlikely.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My take...

1) It would serve any politician well to act quickly on Covid measures regardless of party.

2) Being that the GOP won't have control of the senate, GOP opposition won't be a factor for Biden appointments. At this point, Joe Manchin (being a more moderate democrat, and often at odds over agendas with his own party) stands to be more of a "deal-breaker" sort of Senator than McConnell will.

3) the GOP allowed themselves to fall into a "lose-lose" trap with regards to the impeachment.

Anyone who votes against punitive measures (like disqualification from holding office) is going to be castigated by the left and portrayed as being complicit in the Capital riots (even if they staunchly denounced it) -- However, in many states, a vote for the punitive measures is basically a death sentence for a GOP senator and is likely to subject them to a intra-party primary challenge the next time they're up for election.

• Agree
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If I’m Schumer, I wouldn’t let the threat of a filibuster scare me out of legislation,

Do they even have a filibuster? Didn't they keep whatever Harry Reid did on it?

Upvote 0

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟264,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Do they even have a filibuster? Didn't they keep whatever Harry Reid did on it?

For budget reconciliation, I have no memory of it ever existing. Harry Reid removed it for judicial picks except for the Supreme Court. Mitch McConnell remove it for Supreme. court picks. For normal legislation it still exists.

• Informative
Reactions: Pavel Mosko
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
For budget reconciliation, I have no memory of it ever existing. Harry Reid removed it for judicial picks except for the Supreme Court. Mitch McConnell remove it for Supreme. court picks. For normal legislation it still exists.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟329,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

My understanding, Reid dropped the filibuster for most presidential appointees -- other than Supreme Court justices. As such, McConnell can do nothing to prevent Pres-Elect Biden's cabinet appointees from being confirmed.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟142,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
My understanding, Reid dropped the filibuster for most presidential appointees -- other than Supreme Court justices. As such, McConnell can do nothing to prevent Pres-Elect Biden's cabinet appointees from being confirmed.
Because of the Vice-President’s tie breaking vote?

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,413.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I think you are forgetting that McConnell will not be Senate Majority leader much longer. While he still has some decisions to make, he won't be able to stop or slow down Biden's appointments. He can use the filibuster to stop, or slow, legislation (such as Coronavirus relief), or to attempt to force Democrats to compromise on some issues.

And I would hope McConnell does not want to cause "distribution of the virus." It sounded funny, though I'm sure you meant distribution of the vaccine.

When Obama was president, McConnell did alot to slow down to slow down approvals of nominations. There is a lot that he can do.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,413.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

There are several bills that don't require 60 votes. Obamacare was passed under such an exception.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟329,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When Obama was president, McConnell did alot to slow down to slow down approvals of nominations. There is a lot that he can do.

Not really. McConnell used the filibuster to slow down approvals, which is why Reid got rid of the filibuster for nominations. It is how McConnell got all of Trump's appointment's through -- including some very questionable judicial nominations (per the ABA); despite strong objection from Democrats.

McConnell will have the same issue Democrats had in the Senate under Trump, he has no meaningful way to block nominations by Pres. Biden -- including Supreme Court picks, since he got rid of the filibuster for Supreme Court nominees.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,413.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Not really. McConnell used the filibuster to slow down approvals, which is why Reid got rid of the filibuster for nominations. It is how McConnell got all of Trump's appointment's through -- including some very questionable judicial nominations (per the ABA); despite strong objection from Democrats.

McConnell will have the same issue Democrats had in the Senate under Trump, he has no meaningful way to block nominations by Pres. Biden -- including Supreme Court picks, since he got rid of the filibuster for Supreme Court nominees.

So, you are saying that Biden will get all of his appointments passed in the next couple of weeks? Surely not. What you say is certainly true. McConnell cannot BLOCK any appointments. However, there are many, many procedural ways to slow down nominations. The most obvious are requiring testimony (30 hours minimum I think) and hearings on all nominees, requiring lots of procedural votes, and lots of roll call votes.

I guess this matters little, since Biden can run the government with acting appointees as Trump has done.

I know that lefties believe the an pass what they want, since the Democrats are in control, but that isn't the case for Biden, any more than it was true for Trump.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟329,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, you are saying that Biden will get all of his appointments passed in the next couple of weeks? Surely not. What you say is certainly true. McConnell cannot BLOCK any appointments. However, there are many, many procedural ways to slow down nominations. The most obvious are requiring testimony (30 hours minimum I think) and hearings on all nominees, requiring lots of procedural votes, and lots of roll call votes.

I guess this matters little, since Biden can run the government with acting appointees as Trump has done.

I know that lefties believe the an pass what they want, since the Democrats are in control, but that isn't the case for Biden, any more than it was true for Trump.

I'm not a Democrat nor do I believe the Democrats can "pass what they want." Yes, McConnell can delay, to a degree, Biden's nominations but he has no power to stop them. I suspect McConnell will filibuster some of the bills that Democrats try to pass and I sincerely hope that Democrats do not remove filibusters altogether.

Upvote 0

JSRG

Apr 14, 2019
Midwest
✟160,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There are several bills that don't require 60 votes. Obamacare was passed under such an exception.
What exception? As far as I understand, they still needed 60 votes to pass it. It's just they had an unusually strong Democratic majority (59 if you count Bernie Sanders) and thus were able to hit the 60-vote requirement to bypass the filibuster by enlisting the Independent Joe Liebermann in exchange for some changes to the law.

Upvote 0

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟264,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged

What exception? As far as I understand, they still needed 60 votes to pass it. It's just they had an unusually strong Democratic majority (59 if you count Bernie Sanders) and thus were able to hit the 60-vote requirement to bypass the filibuster by enlisting the Independent Joe Liebermann in exchange for some changes to the law.

It’s a simple majority to pass bills in the Senate but you need 60 votes to end debate and hold the vote. If it’s a bill you really don’t want and know the other side has 51 votes you can talk the bill to death as long as you have 40 senators who agree with you. In recent years just the threat of fillibustering is enough to keep bills from the floor.

Upvote 0