McConnell blocks vote to release Mueller report.

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
McConnell blocks resolution calling for Mueller report to be released publicly

Whether or not you're a supporter of President Trump ... there is no good reason not to make the report public," Schumer said from the floor. "It's a simple request for transparency. Nothing more, nothing less."

But McConnell objected, noting that Attorney General William Barr is working with Mueller to determine what in his report can be released publicly and what cannot.

The resolution would have been nonbinding anyway, but one-trick Mitch knows one trick.

Thoughts?

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,575.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
So his actions change nothing and the report will either be made available or not made available irrespective of which votes he allows?

So it would seem... McConnell obstructed for the sake of obstruction.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What did he “obstruct” exactly? The resolution was non-binding.

I’m no fan of McConnell but I don’t see what the problem is.

• Agree
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
What did he “obstruct” exactly? The resolution was non-binding.

I’m no fan of McConnell but I don’t see what the problem is.

Then why not let the Senate vote on it?

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
This is what John McCain was talking about when he gave repeal and replace the thumbs down, his number one complaint was no deliberation. The bill doesn't mean much because an unredacted report being released to the public seems unwise, and probably illegal depending on the material. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to at least talk about it. This dude has ruined C-Span for me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Why not let the Senate vote on seeing the body?

I have no idea what the Senate is voting on or what McConnell blocked. I do know that releasing the Mueller report is a legal question and not a political question.

A vote in the Senate to release the report is meaningless unless the Congress votes to change myriad laws to allow its release.

Those are my thoughts.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I have no idea what the Senate is voting on or what McConnell blocked.

Then your approval of McConnell's actions is a tad premature.

I do know that releasing the Mueller report is a legal question and not a political question.

But do you think it should be released at some point in time (with the necessary redactions, of course, to preserve the secrecy of grand jury testimony and such)?

A vote in the Senate to release the report is meaningless unless the Congress votes to change myriad laws to allow its release.

Those are my thoughts.

These are mine. The vote is nonbinding, but far from meaningless. When the House voted unanimously on the same bill, it sent a message: "We the People want to see for ourselves what the last two years of brouhaha have wrought. Simply taking the administration's word for it will not suffice."

First, note that there's no mention of when the report was to be released. It doesn't have to be today or tomorrow or any set date; merely an assertion that We the People want to see that document.

Note also the word "unanimous." Even the House GOP wants the release. Would the Senate have voted any differently? Would the GOP in the entire Congress have sent a message to Donald: "we want to judge the truth for ourselves"?

We'll never know, because McConnell wasn't willing to let the Senate go on the record.

His given explanation doesn't pass the smell test, because, as we have both noted, the resolution would be nonbinding anyway. What then is Mitch worried about?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
This is what John McCain was talking about when he gave repeal and replace the thumbs down, his number one complaint was no deliberation. The bill doesn't mean much because an unredacted report being released to the public seems unwise, and probably illegal depending on the material. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to at least talk about it. This dude has ruined C-Span for me.

Well now, we certainly can't have deliberations and debates on these things -- that's what democracies do.

No, no... better to bury the results of the investigations, and then seek revenge against the people who brought up the investigations in the first place... that's how it's done in One Nation Under Donald.

Trump aides relieved, elated — and out for payback

• Haha
Reactions: mark kennedy
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Well now, we certainly can't have deliberations and debates on these things -- that's what democracies do.

No, no... better to bury the results of the investigations, and then seek revenge against the people who brought up the investigations in the first place... that's how it's done in One Nation Under Donald.

Trump aides relieved, elated — and out for payback
I hope your kidding, but then again it's not really all that funny. I don't like Trump and his tweets, his staff or his agenda but I think they should have every opportunity to pursue their agenda as long as it's not illegal, immoral or dangerous. But when the Senate Majority simply stops discussion, apparently no matter what it is, this has turned into the exercise of power for the sake of power. Trump isn't really a player in all of this, he is a bobble head on McConnell's dashboard. I was trying to hear the discussion about repeal and replace the whole time it was coming up for a vote, all I heard was McConnell saying, 'I object'. I was and am appalled.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I hope your kidding, but then again it's not really all that funny.

It's not funny at all, which makes laughing at it all the more necessary.

The difference between a good comedian and a great one: a good comedian looks and the world and sees a funny place. A great comedian looks at the world and doesn't.

I don't like Trump and his tweets, his staff or his agenda but I think they should have every opportunity to pursue their agenda as long as it's not illegal, immoral or dangerous. But when the Senate Majority simply stops discussion, apparently no matter what it is, this has turned into the exercise of power for the sake of power.

You act as if this was a new thing.

Trump isn't really a player in all of this, he is a bobble head on McConnell's dashboard. I was trying to hear the discussion about repeal and replace the whole time it was coming up for a vote, all I heard was McConnell saying, 'I object'. I was and am appalled.

Hence the need to treat it like the joke it is.

"Will a day come when the race will detect the funniness of these juvenilities and laugh at them--and by laughing at them destroy them? For your race, in its poverty, has unquestionably one really effective weapon--laughter. Power, Money, Persuasion, Supplication, Persecution--these can lift at a colossal humbug,--push it a little-- crowd it a little--weaken it a little, century by century: but only Laughter can blow it to rags and atoms at a blast. Against the assault of Laughter nothing can stand." -- Mark Twain, "The Mysterious Stranger."

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: mark kennedy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It's not funny at all, which makes laughting at it all the more necessary.

The difference between a good comedian and a great one: a good comedian looks and the world and sees a funny place. A great comedian looks at the world and doesn't.

You act as if this was a new thing.

Hence the need to treat it like the joke it is.

"Will a day come when the race will detect the funniness of these juvenilities and laugh at them--and by laughing at them destroy them? For your race, in its poverty, has unquestionably one really effective weapon--laughter. Power, Money, Persuasion, Supplication, Persecution--these can lift at a colossal humbug,--push it a little-- crowd it a little--weaken it a little, century by century: but only Laughter can blow it to rags and atoms at a blast. Against the assault of Laughter nothing can stand." -- Mark Twain, "The Mysterious Stranger."
My compliments on a choice quote. Mark Twain again I see, in the bravado and satire of some of his musings occasionally you can see wisdom.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
My compliments on a choice quote. Mark Twain again I see, in the bravado and satire of some of his musings occasionally you can see wisdom.

And the truth of his words is obvious enough... of Donald's numerous critics, who infuriates him more than Saturday Night Live?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Why do you guys even vote in a senate when one guy can just say "nuh-uh"?
"We" learned it from Harry Reid.

More seriously, though, our form of government is strong on the principle of defending against impetuous decision-making or of the total control over legislation by one political party and policy-making by one branch of government alone. Most nations, including those that are referred to as free or representative, do not share this concern.

Upvote 0