McConnell Agrees Trump Screwed Virus Response.

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟329,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The WHO did not offer us tests. Another left wing lie. If anyone is to blame it's China. Other than that no one is at fault. When you look at the TRUTH of what happened, the entire world was really unprepared for this. We didn't have any solid information until February. The WHO didn't say anything about an emergency until Jan 31. We started working in this before that.

We were not sure exactly what was happening with this disease.

We don't NEED a national stay at home order. That's up to the states. Governors are in charge of their state. They should know if they need one or not. Trump and his team create recommendations, they don't control every aspect of our lives nor should they. Each state should take a look at what is needed in their particular state and do what's needed. We need to quit looking at the federal government to take care of everything. States should be caring for their people with the feds as backup.

I'm glad your governor issued the order. Ours did too.

The WHO did not offer us tests is exaggerated, not untrue. What the WHO offered us was the "recipe" for a known, working test -- my recollection is that is one that was developed in Germany -- that we could have started making immediately. Instead, we wanted to make our own tests and took a couple of extra weeks to develop the test, then longer when it was found those tests did not work based on a "manufacturing error."

To be completely fair, it is standard procedure of the CDC to develop our own test in the US. OTOH, the smart and prudent move would have been to start manufacturing the test the WHO offered us while we developed -- and worked out the manufacturing issues of -- our own test. Not doing that cost us over a month of time.

Upvote 0

Allandavid

Dec 30, 2016
Sydney
✟230,565.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Well we knew it was in New York. And that didn't take a lot of testing. Now look what's happening. Testing sure wouldn't have stopped that.

Testing allows authorities to identify infection sites more comprehensively and to therefore place those in isolation more effectively.

My own country isn’t perfect, but we have one of the highest testing rates in the world and have a strong nationwide isolation process. Surprise, surprise...we have a very low infection rate and a very, very low death rate as a result...

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
You must have missed the first two weeks when Trump was claiming it was a democratic hoax to get him because impeachment didn't work. Then we find out dems tried to give them money early on to mount a defense and that the army warned about it as well. Video abounds if you'd like me to post it.

I guess you either didn't listen to what he said or are depending on what others say he said. He said the media was the hoax...trying to scare people about the virus....and it has worked. Do you remember the last pandemic? 2009 Swine flu...12,000 Americans died and 60.8 million Americans ill? How about the 1968 Hong Kong flu pandemic where 1 million died worldwide and 100,000 Americans died? Or the 1957 Asian flu where 1.1 million people died worldwide and 110,000 Americans died? The difference is only a media that doesn't report fact based news anymore and the internet freaking people out.

Do you remember the media accusing him of being racist when he wanted to ban travel to China back in January when the goal was to keep it from getting here?

• Agree
Reactions: rjs330
Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
It is too late to isolate once a person finally tests positive. They have already been spreading the disease for up to 2 weeks. There are people in the hospitals who don't test positive until after they are intubated and on a ventilator. There are also people who test positive and don't even know they are sick and never will.

• Agree
Reactions: rjs330
Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Donald dropped the ball early....and is now blaming the noise from the bleachers for his own clumsiness...

The reality of this is should mostly be handled on a state level since some places like my home state is a hot spot and other states will likely feel very little touch because they have no major cities.

Upvote 0

camille70

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟605,897.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I guess you either didn't listen to what he said or are depending on what others say he said. He said the media was the hoax...trying to scare people about the virus....and it has worked. Do you remember the last pandemic? 2009 Swine flu...12,000 Americans died and 60.8 million Americans ill? How about the 1968 Hong Kong flu pandemic where 1 million died worldwide and 100,000 Americans died? Or the 1957 Asian flu where 1.1 million people died worldwide and 110,000 Americans died? The difference is only a media that doesn't report fact based news anymore and the internet freaking people out.

Do you remember the media accusing him of being racist when he wanted to ban travel to China back in January when the goal was to keep it from getting here?

I watched the video and heard Trumps on words. As far as China and other countries, Americans were still able to come back with no screenings or tests and the stat I saw was that 40,000 people came back after the ban was in place.

I'm not familiar with the Asian Flu, it was before my time. The mortality rate of the swine flu was .02%. It is being estimated that the death rate from COVID-19 may be 3-5%. How many people with the swine flu ended up in the hospital all at the same time? 12,000 deaths in 2009? This shows we have 8,400 corona virus deaths SO FAR. We haven't even peaked yet.

United States Coronavirus: 311,357 Cases and 8,452 Deaths - Worldometer

• Agree
Reactions: lasthero
Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
The difference is only a media that doesn't report fact based news anymore and the internet freaking people out.
There are a lot of differences, and you pointed out a big one whether you noticed or not.

Do you remember the last pandemic? 2009 Swine flu...12,000 Americans died and 60.8 million Americans ill?

See that? 60.8 million Americans contracted it, but only 12,000 died. So far, about 311,000 people (that we know about) have contracted COVID-19, but about 9,000 have died.

If you can't understand the problem with that, let me spell it out to you - COVID-19 is probably going to kill more Americans than the swine flu did next week, even though it hasn't nearly infected as many people, and it hasn't had nearly as long to run through the population. If you can't understand why that's a big deal, then I don't think you understand how numbers work.

60.8 million is a bigger number than 311,000.
12,000 is a bigger number than 9,000...but it's not much higher, now is it? It's definitely closer than 311,000 is to 60.8 million. And keep in mind, over half of those deaths happened just last week.

And it's not just about people dying and getting sick. We're trying to keep too many people from getting sick at the same time. Keeping people from getting sick isn't the goal, really - at the end of the day, a ton of people are going to get this virus, one way or another. But if too many people get sick at the same time it's going to put a strain on our medical systems. It's going to reduce their ability to treat other people, which will cause deaths that aren't even related to the virus.

It's not just media hype. I thought that too once, and I wish I was right, but it's not.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I watched the video and heard Trumps on words. As far as China and other countries, Americans were still able to come back with no screenings or tests and the stat I saw was that 40,000 people came back after the ban was in place.

I'm not familiar with the Asian Flu, it was before my time. The mortality rate of the swine flu was .02%. It is being estimated that the death rate from COVID-19 may be 3-5%. How many people with the swine flu ended up in the hospital all at the same time? 12,000 deaths in 2009? This shows we have 8,400 corona virus deaths SO FAR. We haven't even peaked yet.

United States Coronavirus: 311,357 Cases and 8,452 Deaths - Worldometer

I don't think the Covid death rate will be anywhere near 1% here in the US. We don't have all the numbers in yet for the people who had a mild case. The current numbers are only based on those who were sick enough to qualify for testing. I wasn't a nurse during the Swine flu...and I don't remember it beyond being scared the first time I had a patient with H1N1 as a diagnosis and was surprised that it wasn't considered a big deal.

We are getting close to peaking (the numbers today were exposed two weeks ago)....and the most at risk of getting very sick are going to have gotten the virus already. Remember that flattening the curve means that the virus stays around a lot longer than if we had let it peak fast (and overwhelmed the hospitals). Honestly, we are taking people off the vent frequently. And exactly what screening did you want them to do? The virus is contagious before a single symptom is evident...and people can test negative even after symptoms show up...(I have heard about a number of patients who tested negative several times and didn't test positive until after they were vented). We don't have a screen...even now...we are still learning about this virus. It didn't help that China hid a lot of facts from WHO and the rest of the world that could have helped us get a jump on this virus.

Reactions: camille70
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I don't think the Covid death rate will be anywhere near 1% here in the US.

On that we agree. 3-4% seems much more likely.

We don't have all the numbers in yet for the people who had a mild case.

We do here in Australia, where daily cases have been dropping and we have been doing the massive testing that you think is a waste of time. Our mortality rate is inching up to 1% and our total positive rate, ~5500 is pretty close to all of them.

We are getting close to peaking

You aren't even close to peaking.

• Agree
Reactions: lasthero
Upvote 0

Allandavid

Dec 30, 2016
Sydney
✟230,565.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It is too late to isolate once a person finally tests positive. They have already been spreading the disease for up to 2 weeks. There are people in the hospitals who don't test positive until after they are intubated and on a ventilator. There are also people who test positive and don't even know they are sick and never will.

Testing doesn’t just identify that person. It also permits tracing of the path that led to that person’s infection...

• Winner
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
If this virus is so deadly, why are there any hospital frontline workers still standing in hot spots? And why are the deaths so rare and far between (tragic, just the same)? We have not been given adequate PPE and this virus has been in the hospitals in heavy numbers for more than two weeks. Some people are getting sick (and then recover) but the only reason we are allowed to stay home is a fever. Majority of the staff is not sick.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Testing doesn’t just identify that person. It also permits tracing of the path that led to that person’s infection...

How exactly? How do we track a person's path and everyone they were exposed to for the last two weeks? What will tell more is the antibody serum test that is due out soon.

Once people start finding out that they HAD the virus and weren't even aware or only had minor symptoms, the death percentage will start dropping fast. Right now it is only how many died out of those hospitalized.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Does everyone really want the country closed down every year when there is a pandemic threat? If so, then we need to get rid of our dependence and trade with other countries of the world and become isolated. There is no magic globe that lets us see what is going to be a crisis virus. A huge number of people don't have any problems with non approved immigration where people are not vetted for contagious health conditions to simply walk across our border and join our society.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Allandavid

Dec 30, 2016
Sydney
✟230,565.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
How exactly? How do we track a person's path and everyone they were exposed to for the last two weeks? What will tell more is the antibody serum test that is due out soon.

Once people start finding out that they HAD the virus and weren't even aware or only had minor symptoms, the death percentage will start dropping fast. Right now it is only how many died out of those hospitalized.

Well, in Australia for example, we were able to identify that 80-85% of our infections were due to o’seas travellers, which led to our very strict isolation rules for anyone entering the country, or who had entered in the immediate past. In addition, our state borders have been ‘closed’ in the sense that anyone crossing has to undergo 14 days isolation (mind you, in 5 star hotel rooms...at the government’s expense..!). This has meant we can focus more acutely on those infections that have no apparent o’seas link.

And it’s kinda working...

Reactions: Larniavc
Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
On that we agree. 3-4% seems much more likely.

What happened to the 8-10% that you were talking about a week ago?

We don't agree. I think it will be less than 1% here in the states. Again, time will tell but I see more and more people coming off the ventilators...our treatments are working. And we are learning new things about this virus every day.

Upvote 0

Allandavid

Dec 30, 2016
Sydney
✟230,565.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Does everyone really want the country closed down every year when there is a pandemic threat? If so, then we need to get rid of our dependence and trade with other countries of the world and become isolated. There is no magic globe that lets us see what is going to be a crisis virus. A huge number of people don't have any problems with non approved immigration where people are not vetted for contagious health conditions to simply walk across our border and join our society.

Does ‘blackribbon’ equate with black/white thinking..? There are shades of grey you know...?

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
What happened to the 8-10% that you were talking about a week ago?

It came down based on data.

We don't agree. I think it will be less than 1% here in the states. Again, time will tell but I see more and more people coming off the ventilators...our treatments are working. And we are learning new things about this virus every day.

See you next week.

Ventilators Are No Panacea For Critically Ill COVID-19 Patients

Most coronavirus patients who end up on ventilators go on to die, according to several small studies from the U.S., China and Europe.

The largest study so far to look at mortality among coronavirus patients on ventilators was done by the Intensive Care National Audit & Research Centre in London. It found that among 98 ventilated patients in the U.K., just 33 were discharged alive.

And a study of 18 ventilated patients in Washington state found that nine were still alive when the study ended, but only six had recovered enough to breathe on their own.

Upvote 0

camille70

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟605,897.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If this virus is so deadly, why are there any hospital frontline workers still standing in hot spots? And why are the deaths so rare and far between (tragic, just the same)? We have not been given adequate PPE and this virus has been in the hospitals in heavy numbers for more than two weeks. Some people are getting sick (and then recover) but the only reason we are allowed to stay home is a fever. Majority of the staff is not sick.

Define rare.

Anyway, lets revisit this in two weeks to see if your mind has changed.

Upvote 0