• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

McConnell Agrees Trump Screwed Virus Response.

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by Allandavid, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Allandavid

Allandavid Well-Known Member

+6,634
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    “ I think [impeachment] diverted the attention of the government, because everything every day was all about impeachment.”

Republicans Say Impeachment Distracted Trump From Preparing for Coronavirus

Of course, McConnell’s and Trump’s intent here is to shift the blame for the shoddy response to their political opponents...nothing new in that from the “I take no responsibility” crowd...

And let’s not focus on the dates not matching their ‘argument’. And let’s not be too concerned that Trump didn’t feel so distracted that he couldn’t take multiple golf trips and host multiple rallies during the period in question.

No, the key point in their blame-shifting attempt is that it recognises that the response was poor...!

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. grasping the after wind

grasping the after wind That's grasping after the wind

+4,484
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
    Let's not forget that xenophobic , racist China travel ban while we are at it.

3. Allandavid

+6,634
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    Well...not quite a “ban”, was it? US residents were still free to travel to and from China during that period.

Maybe the failure to close ALL travel was due to the ‘distraction’...??

4. grasping the after wind

grasping the after wind That's grasping after the wind

+4,484
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
    What was Trudeau's excuse ? Perhaps he was distracted by Tim Bits?

5. Allandavid

+6,634
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    Whatabout...? That the best argument ?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Regular Member

+7,963
    Atheist
    Single
    Of course it was the Democrats fault. They should have know that there would be an extended pouting period.

7. Allandavid

+6,634
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    I just can’t get over the hamfisted ‘strategy’ used here.

On the one hand Trump claims to have been in total control of the whole epidemic as it arose in the US.

On the other...? We were distracted by the evil Democrats and couldn’t respond effectively....!

What a sad joke...

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  8. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+24,805
    Anglican
    Married
    If Trump had by now, and on his own, cured everyone of the virus, the Resistance would be complaining that it took him too long.

9. TLK Valentine

TLK Valentine You will be who you will be. We are our choices.

+20,667
    Agnostic
    Single
    We shall see -- because when someone does cure the virus, Donald will take the credit.

... which you will obediently give him.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • List
  10. essentialsaltes

essentialsaltes Stranger in a Strange Land

+12,945
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    My favorite thing is that McConnell was trying to hand Trump an excuse -- 'it's all the Democrats fault for impeaching him and distracting him from this serious issue.' And Trump was too dumb to grab the life line. Actually, he started to clutch at it, but then couldn't stand that it made him sound like he had a flaw of being distractable. News reports had a hard time figuring out which side of his mouth to listen to.

President Donald Trump had a hard time deciding Tuesday whether impeachment distracted him from fighting the coronavirus – but he eventually claimed it "probably" did.

"Well, I don't like to think I did," Trump said at a news conference with the White House coronavirus task force. "I think I handled it very well, but I guess it probably did. I mean, I got impeached."

He added that, "I certainly devoted a little time to thinking about it."

The president later expanded on his answer.

"But certainly I guess I thought of it. And I think I probably acted – I don't think I would have done better had I not been impeached, OK? And I think that's a great tribute to something. Maybe it's a tribute to me. But I don't think I would've acted any differently or I don't think I would've acted any faster."

I don’t think I would have done any better if I had not been impeached,” Trump told reporters in the White House briefing room Tuesday evening. “I don’t think I would have acted any differently, or I don’t think I would have acted any faster.

“Did it divert my attention? I think I’m getting A-pluses for the way I handled myself during a phony impeachment,” Trump continued. “But certainly I guess I thought of it.”

11. camille70

camille70 Newbie Supporter

+2,690
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    I didn't want to start another thread so I'll put this here. Maddow's take on Trump's emergency order.

12. lasthero

lasthero Newbie

+3,201
    Seeker
    Wow.

It never ceases to amaze me how in love with himself Trump. Even if I liked and agreed with him, his ego would be too much for me to stomach. I’ve never seen a guy pat himself on the back so much, even as politicians go.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+24,805
    Anglican
    Married
    You weren't here for the Obama administration?????

14. iluvatar5150

iluvatar5150 Well-Known Member

+14,061
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    Hey look, another one of your bogus equivalencies between Obama and Trump. I guess since you couldn't back up your claims about Obama's supposedly-lurid private life, you've retreated back to something slightly less ridiculous.

But no, Obama didn't pat himself on the back nearly to the degree that Trump does. In fact, I can't think of anybody I've ever known - in public or in private - who does it as much as Trump. It's like there's something wrong with him.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. hedrick

hedrick Senior Veteran Supporter

+6,105
    Presbyterian
    Single
    Trump himself refused to say that his response was degraded by being distracted. Press questions sort of tried to push him to say that.

Furthermore, there's no evidence that Trump was spending time trying to mount a defense. The Senate found him not guilty without any witnesses or other defense.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. lasthero

lasthero Newbie

+3,201
    Seeker
    I was. Obama was only about as self-gratifying as most politicians are. With Trump...

I don’t have the time to look it up now, but a key example, for me, was a post he made about Father’s Day. All he had to do, ALL HE HAD TO DO, was wish everyone a happy Father’s Day. But no - he had to turn it into an opportunity to potshot his ‘enemies, who are growing fewer each day’ or something like that. He couldn’t even give simple greeting without taking time to gloat.

That’s the kind of man he is.

17. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+24,805
    Anglican
    Married
    So the disagreement really concerns which egotist was the most obvious about it.

18. lasthero

lasthero Newbie

+3,201
    Seeker
    Well, I can’t read minds and I don’t have spy cams everywhere, so I have no idea if, in private or in his head, Obama is more of an egotistical blowhard. All I can go off of is what I’ve seen of them to compare, and Trump has given me a lot more to work with in that department.

19. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+24,805
    Anglican
    Married
    I was simply referring to the observable evidence of it that has been available to everyone. That in the case of either president, of course.

20. lasthero

lasthero Newbie

+3,201
    Seeker
    And I would say and have been saying there is far more observable evidence from Trump.