✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ok, I will bite.

Why should McCarthy remove 3 members from the committees?
On what basis?
Is there a precedent for a new Speaker of the House vowing to remove members from committees even before he or she takes office?
OK one is a documented liar, one is a confirmed antisemitic, and one could not get a security clearance but he sits on the committee that gets classified information on a regular basis.

• Informative
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Why should he? You think the country should be more divided, partisan and run on petty grievances?
You seem to forget that the Dems started this and now that it is biting them in the rear they are crying the blues as usual, some like to dish it out but hate it when the same standard is applied to them.
Democrats are taking the task of removing GOP Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia from House committees into their own hands.

Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,354.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You seem to forget that the Dems started this and now that it is biting them in the rear they are crying the blues as usual, some like to dish it out but hate it when the same standard is applied to them.
Democrats are taking the task of removing GOP Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia from House committees into their own hands.
The Democrats did not just come in and vow to remove Republicans out of spite. MTG was removed after a bipartisan vote because she advocated violence against Democratic members. That you approve of this retaliation shows how divisive and partisan you are.

The Republicans have a slim majority in the House and none in the Senate. Are they planning on working with their colleagues across the aisle or are the next two years going to be devoted to pure obstruction?

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟48,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Democrats did not just come in and vow to remove Republicans out of spite. MTG was removed after a bipartisan vote because she advocated violence against Democratic members. That you approve of this retaliation shows how divisive and partisan you are.

The Republicans have a slim majority in the House and none in the Senate. Are they planning on working with their colleagues across the aisle or are the next two years going to be devoted to pure obstruction?
One is anti-Semitic. One is a security risk. One backed a false document. And removing them is spite?

• Winner
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

The concern should and critisism should be directed at the Dems not at me, they are receiving what they deserve and there are very good reasons for removing those people unless we approve of use their position to lie to the public and smear the president by intentionally being a false witness, or people who have access to top secret information and show a total lack of responsibility by having intimate relationships with spies from China, or who are overtly antisemitic, I for one can find no justification for keeping them on the committees its a little late for an attempt at righteous indignation the facts just do not support it.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,354.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The concern should and critisism should be directed at the Dems not at me, they are receiving what they deserve and there are very good reasons for removing those people unless we approve of use their position to lie to the public and smear the president by intentionally being a false witness, or people who have access to top secret information and show a total lack of responsibility by having intimate relationships with spies from China, or who are overtly antisemitic, I for one can find no justification for keeping them on the committees its a little late for an attempt at righteous indignation the facts just do not support it.
The criticism is directed at you because what you say is not factually accurate.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,182.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
One is anti-Semitic. One is a security risk. One backed a false document. And removing them is spite?
Omar made some anti-Israel comments that relied on anti-Semitic tropes. She has acknowledged and apologized for it. She also has made public comments condemning specific instances of Anti-Semitism actions and events. Eric Swalwell was approached by and worked by a suspected Chinese spy, that is true. But he was also found not to have acted inappropriately or compromise any sensitive information, and when he was informed about the suspicions of her by the FBI he cut off contact. So I'm not seeing how he is a security risk. I'm not sure which particular event you are referring to from Schiff.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟329,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
By this logic, it was a correct decision to remove MTG from committees -- so why does there need to be payback. MTG has made numerous anti-semitic comments (Jewish Space Lasers, and that Coronavirus measures were the equivalent of the yellow stars Jews were forced to wear. Not only that, she spoke at a White Supremicist conference. In fact, using your logic, Paul Gosar (who spoke at the same conference) and others should have been removed from their committee assignments, but never were. And how many Republican lawmakers have backed "false documents" in the form of election denial -- there are quite a few in Congress and the Senate. I suppose those should all be removed from committee assignments as well?

Yes, removing them is spite -- as pointed out, MTG did numerous things that caused even Republicans (as shown in the linked article) to criticize and to want here committee assignments removed.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟48,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Omar made some anti-Israel comments that relied on anti-Semitic tropes. She has acknowledged and apologized for it. She also has made public comments condemning specific instances of Anti-Semitism actions and events. Eric Swalwell was approached by and worked by a suspected Chinese spy, that is true. But he was also found not to have acted inappropriately or compromise any sensitive information, and when he was informed about the suspicions of her by the FBI he cut off contact. So I'm not seeing how he is a security risk. I'm not sure which particular event you are referring to from Schiff.
Does the name Fang Fang ring a bell? How about the Steele dossier? The other made more anti-Semitic statements than a few tweets.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟48,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
By this logic, it was a correct decision to remove MTG from committees -- so why does there need to be payback. MTG has made numerous anti-semitic comments (Jewish Space Lasers, and that Coronavirus measures were the equivalent of the yellow stars Jews were forced to wear. Not only that, she spoke at a White Supremicist conference. In fact, using your logic, Paul Gosar (who spoke at the same conference) and others should have been removed from their committee assignments, but never were. And how many Republican lawmakers have backed "false documents" in the form of election denial -- there are quite a few in Congress and the Senate. I suppose those should all be removed from committee assignments as well?

Yes, removing them is spite -- as pointed out, MTG did numerous things that caused even Republicans (as shown in the linked article) to criticize and to want here committee assignments removed.
Do you approve of not removing from a committee someone who's made anti-Semitic statements, someone who's got caught in a honey trap, and someone who backed a discredited document? Would it make a difference if they were Republicans?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟329,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you approve of not removing from a committee someone who's made anti-Semitic statements, someone who's got caught in a honey trap, and someone who backed a discredited document? Would it make a difference if they were Republicans?
As a general rule, no. If a person is heinous enough, I believe that they should expelled from Congress (Congress has the right to expel individuals). In the meantime, these people were voted by the People to Represent them in Congress and, as such, they should be given all privileges and rights of the office. It isn't up to the Speaker to override the will of the people.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Does the name Fang Fang ring a bell? How about the Steele dossier? The other made more anti-Semitic statements than a few tweets.

There is no evidence that Swallwell fell for a honeypot. Yes, Chinese intelligence *tried* by sending in an agent, but no evidence that it worked.

Neither Schiff, nor Swallwell had anything to do with the creation or publication of the Steele dossier. Not sure how that document is relevant to their presence on the HPSCI.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,182.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Fang Fang would be said Chinese spy that I acknowledged he had been worked by. He also appears not to have been compromised and cut off contact with her when he was informed that she was a suspected Chinese agent. He did nothing wrong in this situation and if anything it shows that he's less likely of a security threat then others since we know he was targeted and didn't give up anything. I don't remember, did Schiff actually make claims that the dossier was true or simply that it was worth investigating further? As for Omar, do you have examples? Everything I can find is related to Israel and the Israeli lobby in the US. Even Rep. McCarthy has said it was her comments about Israel and the US-ISrael relations that are the reason he wants to remove her. Simply criticizing Israel is not automatically anti-Semitic as much as conservatives in both countries want to make it out ot be.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟48,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Fang Fang would be said Chinese spy that I acknowledged he had been worked by. He also appears not to have been compromised and cut off contact with her when he was informed that she was a suspected Chinese agent. He did nothing wrong in this situation and if anything it shows that he's less likely of a security threat then others since we know he was targeted and didn't give up anything. I don't remember, did Schiff actually make claims that the dossier was true or simply that it was worth investigating further? As for Omar, do you have examples? Everything I can find is related to Israel and the Israeli lobby in the US. Even Rep. McCarthy has said it was her comments about Israel and the US-ISrael relations that are the reason he wants to remove her. Simply criticizing Israel is not automatically anti-Semitic as much as conservatives in both countries want to make it out ot be.
So, basically, Democrats get a pass with such things?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,182.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
In this case, anti-Semitic comments, contact with a spy, and pushing a false document.
Can you provide examples of these anti-Semetic comments because they all seem to actually be anti-Israel, which is not the same thing. I mean I get that speaking up against Israel is the third rail of american foreign policy, but saying unpopular things isn't enough reason to punish somebody.

Sewell was approached by the spy. He didn't initiate contact, but rather was targeted. Even with that he wasn't accused of doing anything wrong, being compromised or leaking any information. Yet even though he was the victim and acted the way we would hope anybody did, it's being treated as something he needs to be punished for.

Schiff from what I remember did hype up the Steele Dossier and said that some of the shocking allegations should be investigated. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember him claiming that it was absolute truth, just that it needed to be treated seriously because Chris Steele had a record of being pretty reliable. He turns out to have been wrong, but there is no indication that he wasn't honestly concerned by it.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟48,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can you provide examples of these anti-Semetic comments because they all seem to actually be anti-Israel, which is not the same thing. I mean I get that speaking up against Israel is the third rail of american foreign policy, but saying unpopular things isn't enough reason to punish somebody.

Sewell was approached by the spy. He didn't initiate contact, but rather was targeted. Even with that he wasn't accused of doing anything wrong, being compromised or leaking any information. Yet even though he was the victim and acted the way we would hope anybody did, it's being treated as something he needs to be punished for.

Schiff from what I remember did hype up the Steele Dossier and said that some of the shocking allegations should be investigated. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember him claiming that it was absolute truth, just that it needed to be treated seriously because Chris Steele had a record of being pretty reliable. He turns out to have been wrong, but there is no indication that he wasn't honestly concerned by it.
Well, I can provide sources. but since they're tied to Israel, I doubt you'd accept them. I doubt you'd accept any source that would criticize a Democrat. And if stating that is a violation of board policy, ban me and be done with it.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,182.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Well, I can provide sources. but since they're tied to Israel, I doubt you'd accept them. I doubt you'd accept any source that would criticize a Democrat. And if stating that is a violation of board policy, ban me and be done with it.
I criticize Democrats plenty, but I also feel those critiques need to have a factual basis. Has Omar said some things in her condemnation of Israel that have strayed into anti-Semitism? Yes, but she has also apologized for those statements and has condemned anti-Semitism in other places. But i also suspect that the sources you show me are going to be what I'm saying they are, her making anti-Israel comments and those being taken as automatically being anti-Semitic. The idea that being anti-Zionist is always anti-Semetic is ridiculous, and there are jewish groups across the spectrum to support that prepization.

Upvote 0