Aug 18, 2012
✟1,423,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The appointments are indeed subject to veto. Pelosi is in total charge of the show. She offered shared control; Republicans refused.

Exactly. It seems at least one poster pretends not to know how "Select Committees" operate.

The fact is, the minority leader had a chance to support a Bi-Partisan Commission to investigate the events of January 6th....and he refused. The ongoing effort to white-wash those events and absolve the prior president of any accountability is pathetic.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The ongoing effort to white-wash those events and absolve the prior president of any accountability is pathetic.

...but not surprising.

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Phred

Junior Mint
Aug 12, 2003
✟22,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, she "offered shared control" if we define "shared control" in a very peculiar way. You know that. The whole thing is slated to be another show trial like her two impeachment charades.
Once again you have no idea what you're talking about. A common trait amongst people who ingest a lot of conservative media.

Republicans had the opportunity to vote for a January 6th investigation. They would have then been able to appoint members of the committee. They chose, instead, to be idiots about it and vote no. So now it's going to be a select committee that the Democrats control. Don't like it? Tough.

The impeachment wasn't a charade. Trump violated the law. Twice. He should have been removed from office. The only charade was Republicans refusing to do what the Constitution demanded.

Upvote 0

Phred

Junior Mint
Aug 12, 2003
✟22,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
We had two impeachments that occupied most of Trump's presidency and almost all of Pelosi's time. That episode in American history was a source of great pride to those who were leading it, even treating those events as giving them bragging rights of a sort. The "investigation" that we're discussing now is nothing other than Part III of that disgraceful saga, since it's not possible to impeach a person who is NOT in office.
More lies. Look up the timelines. The second impeachment happened after trump was already out of office. But of course you're no stranger to lying. Trump did it over 30,000 times while in office and you failed to care. The events of January 6th were a stain on this country which your hero led. You should be ashamed. You aren't.

And, to be clear, it is very possible to impeach someone who is no longer in office. You can be impeached at any time for deeds while in office as long as you have held the office. Perhaps you should have paid attention in school rather than just doing the bare minimum to get by.

Upvote 0

Phred

Junior Mint
Aug 12, 2003
✟22,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I tend to think of all congressional investigations as little more than political grandstanding, a waste of time and taxpayers dollars.
Really? Please link me to your posts where you show your disdain for all the Benghazi investigations.

Upvote 0

Phred

Junior Mint
Aug 12, 2003
✟22,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Because those alternate courses of action--which, as you point out ought to be attractive to Pelosi--have not been considered, the logical explanation for it can only be that she knows there is plenty that she needs to keep hidden as it probably would not continue to be...if the investigation were above board.
No, that's the conservative nonsense machine in action. Which you are clearly eating up and spitting out.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟937,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I tend to think of all congressional investigations as little more than political grandstanding, a waste of time and taxpayers dollars.

Really? Please link me to your posts where you show your disdain for all the Benghazi investigations.

The Benghazi investigations support my point, don't they? How many Benghazi investigations, how much taxpayer money spent on them, and how many charges came from them?

I'm suggesting we'll go through this investigation and in the end nothing will be any different beyond rhetoric, finger-pointing, and time on camera. Wait and see. We'll know soon enough.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Phred

Junior Mint
Aug 12, 2003
✟22,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The Benghazi investigations support my point, don't they? How many Benghazi investigations, how much taxpayer money spent on them, and how many charges came from them?

I'm suggesting we'll go through this investigation and in the end nothing will be any different beyond rhetoric, finger-pointing, and time on camera. Wait and see. We'll know soon enough.
Benghazi was a tragedy, not a conspiracy. Anyone with any basic knowledge of government can tell in seconds that Hillary Clinton had nothing to do with Benghazi. Once attacked it became a military response and that means it's a military chain of command. The Secretary of State is not in the military chain of command. It kicks up to the Secretary of Defense and then the President. So the focus on the Secretary of State was at best an actual witch hunt. All she could ever have been responsible for is directing funds to the consulate for security. Funds that congress allocated and funds that congress cut. But they questioned her for 11 hours about things that were completely out of her control.

Not one of these so-called patriots around here said a word. Not one word.

And they held NINE of these "get Hillary" festivals. Each one came out with a report afterwards that said, "no wrongdoing." But they released those quietly. What this was turned out to be a horrible misuse of taxpayer funds directed at the eventual Democratic candidate for president.

And again, not one of these so-called patriots said a word.

But... then we had the President of the United States actually call for an insurrection on January 6th. I don't care how you slice it. The man wanted the certification of those votes to be halted. He riled up the crowd and sent them off to raid the Capital. I watched it take place live. You're not going to gaslight me about what happened that day. He was dancing while it happened and the Secret Service didn't lead him away, he was in no danger. So it wasn't "Antifa" dressed up as trumpanzees.

By the way, I also watched as several trump groups gathered and planned rides to Washington. It wasn't anyone but trump supporters doing this.

So now we need to have transparency on who gave tours of the Capital to those groups the day before. Who was texting them where the Speaker and VP were in the building? Who wound them up and set them off? It was trump, it was Hawley. It was Jim Jordan. It was Marjorie Taylor Greene. It was Lauren Boebert. I'm sure there were others. They need to be dragged before the commission and be made to answer for what they did.

This isn't a game. This isn't about taxpayer dollars. This is about knowing when you're being used by a wannabe dictator to try and overthrow the country. If you're too stupid to realize that you should be tossed out of congress.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
This isn't a game. This isn't about taxpayer dollars. This is about knowing when you're being used by a wannabe dictator to try and overthrow the country. If you're too stupid to realize that you should be tossed out of congress.

They're not too stupid; they're too complicit.

Upvote 0

Phred

Junior Mint
Aug 12, 2003
✟22,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
They're not too stupid; they're too complicit.
Yeah, we didn't give the Nazis at Nuremberg the benefit of being "stupid." They knew exactly what they were doing...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟937,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
...This isn't a game. This isn't about taxpayer dollars. This is about knowing when you're being used by a wannabe dictator to try and overthrow the country. If you're too stupid to realize that you should be tossed out of congress.

I agree with you in spirit. However, I fear this will end up like all the others -- going through the motions for nothing. I hope I'm wrong.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Once again you have no idea what you're talking about. A common trait amongst people who ingest a lot of conservative media.

More lies.

No, that's the conservative nonsense machine in action. Which you are clearly eating up and spitting out.

Well, you had the opportunity to join in the discussion but decided on this kind of thing instead. It's a shame.

:wave:

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,423,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is a little surprising. It was a chance to make a clean break from Trump. They decided not to.

Kevin McCarthy showed the country where his loyalty lies when he skipped down to Marl-a-lago in the days following the January 6th attack.

He could care less about our Constitution, our elections or the peaceful transfer of power. He, and most of the GOP in Congress, are now loyal to one person. Those who stand on principal - Liz Cheney, Adam Kinzinger - are ostracized. It's a party of political cowardice.

• Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, we didn't give the Nazis at Nuremberg the benefit of being "stupid." They knew exactly what they were doing...

...but they were only following orders.

• Winner
Reactions: Phred
Upvote 0