✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
McCain warns suppressing press 'is how dictators get started'

On this Sunday's Meet the Press, Senator McCain warned about suppressing the press:

"If you want to preserve — I'm very serious now — if you want to preserve democracy as we know it, you have to have a free and many times adversarial press," McCain said. "And without it, I am afraid that we would lose so much of our individual liberties over time. That's how dictators get started."

<staff edit>

Last edited by a moderator:

Uncle Siggy

Promulgator of Annoying Tidbits of Information
Dec 4, 2015
Ohio
✟61,528.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
<staff edit>

To some he's now the voice of reason but back when he was running for President those people claimed he would be the biggest disaster this country had ever seen, go figure... :scratch: :doh:^_^

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yes, 3) dramatic or exciting as a public speaker was what I was about to say before my computer seized up.

All those were the attributes of Sarah Palin, plus she had experience as a governor and was more in step with the values of the Republican base that McCain was having trouble reaching.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes, 3) dramatic or exciting as a public speaker was what I was about to say before my computer seized up.

All those were the attributes of Sarah Palin, plus she had experience as a governor and was more in step with the values of the Republican base that McCain was having trouble reaching.

Not my perception of Palin, but hey, to each's own.

Reactions: Ygrene Imref
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Not my perception of Palin, but hey, to each's own.
Well, those were the qualities that recommended her and there's hardly any way to deny any of them. What the average American was told to think of her came later, so I am not one who thinks McCain did something completely "out of left field" with this selection. You attached your comments to the post about her being an exciting speaker, and there's no way to deny that she packed the galleries when she spoke on the campaign trail. That's quite different from what happened with McCain's public appearances.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well, those were the qualities that recommended her and there's hardly any way to deny any of them. What the average American was told to think of her came later, so I am not one who thinks McCain did something completely "out of left field" with this selection. You attached your comments to the post about her being an exciting speaker, and there's no way to deny that she packed the galleries when she spoke on the campaign trail. That's quite different from what happened with McCain's public appearances.

I was on the fence on whether to vote for Obama or McCain in 08. When he picked Palin, I watched and observed her and formed my own opinion of her and the judgment involved with McCain and picking Palin. <staff edit>

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
I was on the fence on whether to vote for Obama or McCain in 08. When he picked Palin, I watched and observed her and formed my own opinion of her and the judgment involved with McCain and picking Palin. <staff edit>

Even as someone who staunchly conservative back in 2008, I knew it would take nothing short of a miracle for McCain to beat Obama in that election. He did not have what it took, and to be honest, I am not sure any Republican would have beaten Obama in 2008.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
<staff edit>

Anyway, McCain's charge is quite irresponsible, given that there are dozens of other moves that right wing dictators or would-be dictators do "after they are in political prominence" or when they start campaigning (whatever that's supposed to mean).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Even as someone who staunchly conservative back in 2008, I knew it would take nothing short of a miracle for McCain to beat Obama in that election. He did not have what it took, and to be honest, I am not sure any Republican would have beaten Obama in 2008.

That may be, but I was only commenting on my specific position at the time and how his pick of Palin, impacted my perspective.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
<staff edit>
But criticizing our government's foreign policy while in another country is something we were told again and again over the past few years is a serious no-no, something that should never be done.

For McCain to do such a thing--and for the media to make nothing of it--is actually a bit shocking to me, although I understand that the major news media aren't going to make much of the actions of someone who's carrying their anti-Trump water for them.

• Agree
Reactions: Uncle Siggy
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.