Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I know that for some, everything is about Trump, but no Brent, we're talking about Senator John McCain here.

Everything isn't about Trump for me. You just described Trump to a tee though and I was surprised that you would compare McCain to someone like him.

• Agree
Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟363,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Everything isn't about Trump for me. You just described Trump to a tee though and I was surprised that you would compare McCain to someone like him.

McCain's decency and refusal to demonize those he opposed is a stinging rebuke for people who can't follow Jesus. It's why Trump detests him; McCain was strong in every way that Trump is weak.

Upvote 0

Douger

Veteran
Oct 2, 2004
✟165,821.00
Faith
Christian
Everything isn't about Trump for me. You just described Trump to a tee though
Maybe so, but my remarks in this thread have been about John McCain, not Donald Trump. I already told you this.
I was surprised that you would compare McCain to someone like him.
I didn't. If you want to make comparisons, go ahead, but you don't need to project anything onto me.

• Agree
Reactions: Truthfrees
Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
McCain's decency and refusal to demonize those he opposed is a stinging rebuke for people who can't follow Jesus. It's why Trump detests him; McCain was strong in every way that Trump is weak.

And here we see why this thread was originally initiated. And this from the very same people who in 2008 were calling McCain a racist idiot.

Oh, and "McCain Dies?" That was your first choice for thread title?

• Agree
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟363,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
And here we see why this thread was originally initiated. And this from the very same people who in 2008 were calling McCain a racist idiot.

If you were calling him a racist idiot in 2008, then there's one here who did that. McCain had numerous friends (including Barack Obama) who didn't talk about him like that. They respected him, and liked him because he was a decent person, who didn't demonize people.

A woman came up to McCain at a rally and said, “I can’t trust Obama. I have read about him, and he’s not, he’s not — he’s an Arab.” Her comment prompted McCain to immediately shake his head and take the microphone from her.

“No ma’am,” McCain said. “He’s a decent family man, a citizen that I just happen to have disagreements with on fundamental issues, and that’s what this campaign is all about.”

McCain continued to defend Obama during the event even as his supporters voiced their surprise in the background.

“He is a decent person and a person that you do not have to be scared of as President,” McCain said. “If I didn’t think I’d be one heck of a better President I wouldn’t be running, and that’s the point. I admire Sen. Obama and his accomplishments, I will respect him. I want everyone to be respectful, and let’s make sure we are. Because that’s the way politics should be conducted in America.”

http://time.com/4866404/john-mccain-barack-obama-arab-cancer/

In typical McCain fashion, he didn't forget he was in a fight:
Senator John McCain devoted most of two campaign appearances on Wednesday to lusty attacks on Senator Barack Obama...
https://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/09/us/politics/09mccain.html

He just kept it clean. Obama did the same. They walloped each other on policy, but they kept it clean.

It's why he and Obama would meet periodically in the Oval office and talk. To those who see Trump as a hero, it probably seems incomprehensible. It's called "being an American", which was what McCain was trying to explain to that wretched woman who blurted out a false racial story about Obama.

Upvote 0

Gigimo

Dec 6, 2015
Ohio
✟96,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Branco-Graveside-Love.jpg

https://www.westernjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Branco-Graveside-Love.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟363,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
McCain got a lot of respect from both sides of the aisle, because he was decent and honest. He had a bad temper, he advocated things that turned out to be bad for America, but he also was capable of describing his opponent as a good man with whom he had fundamental differences.

Like Ronald Reagan and Ted Kennedy, McCain and Obama got along well personally, and liked each other in spite of their differences. These men, for all their various faults were true Americans.

Yeah. He died. But as you learned, decent Americans celebrated his life, the life of an American hero. For all his faults (we all have them), he was brave and decent and loved his country, and was prepared to give up his life for it.

Which is why Trump detested him.

Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
McCain got a lot of respect from both sides of the aisle...

House Dems Call McCain Racist, Sexist and Say He ‘Battered’ Susan Rice

"Several House Democrats on Friday attacked Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz) as a racist, a sexist, and said that his criticism of U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice amounted to mugging and battering."

https://www.amren.com/news/2012/11/...racist-sexist-and-say-he-battered-susan-rice/

Activist Tied to David Garcia Attacks 'Racist Dirtbag John McCain,' Tweets 'I'm Not Sorry He's Gone'

https://pjmedia.com/trending/activi...bag-john-mccain-tweets-im-not-sorry-hes-gone/

John Lewis’ glowing John McCain tweet VERY DIFFERENT from his hateful comments in 2008

"Seems Democrats are coming out of the woodwork to say and write positive things about the late Senator John McCain, which would be so nice if they didn’t contradict the way most of them spoke about the good senator while he was still alive.

Take for example Rep. John Lewis..."

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2018/...-different-from-his-hateful-comments-in-2008/

From The American Thinker:

"If John McCain was so great, why did most of the media along with other Democrats call him a racist in 2008 when he was running against Obama, when he was 72 years old? They treated McCain just as they treat Trump and as they treated Bush and Reagan."

Story: https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2018/09/mccain_trump_and_eulogies.html#ixzz5QWczcKzI

OH Dems Call Independent And “McCain Democrat” Voters Racist

"Race — that’s the only reason people in the Valley won’t vote for him,” said state Rep. Thomas Letson of Warren, D-64th, about Barack Obama, his party’s presidential nominee. “There are 1,000 reasons to vote for Obama [ed. — and they are…?] and one reason why you won’t — race.” …It is the independents, the “swing voters” and Democrats who are or will support Republican John McCain who are the “racists,” Letson and state Rep. Robert F. Hagan of Youngstown, D-60th, said….”When we speak to swing voters and we talk of issues, the only reason they’re undecided is because of race,” Hagan said."

https://www.redstate.com/diary/crowe/2008/09/16/oh-dems-call-independent-and-mccain-democrat/

...because he was decent and honest.

Because his passing provided the American left an opportunity to exploit his death as a means to attack President Trump. That is what the week's worth of ceremonies was actually about.

Tell me, how many funerals have you attended where those in attendance applauded in response to political comments made?

Oh, wait, in typical leftist fashion you will claim it happens all the time and particularly at your brother's cousin's uncle Billy Joe Jim Bob's funeral.

He had a bad temper, he advocated things that turned out to be bad for America...

He was a poor Senator, and should have retired long ago. I always admired McCain for his service in Vietnam. But his service as a Senator was, collectively, detrimental to the nation.

...but he also was capable of describing his opponent as a good man with whom he had fundamental differences.

If you are referring to the 2008 campaign, McCain caved to the pressures of the media at large which were, on a daily basis, calling him a racist. It is one thing to maintain civility. It is another to pander to your opposition.

Like Ronald Reagan and Ted Kennedy...

Case in point. Ted Kennedy was another whose term in the Senate proved extremely detrimental to the general welfare of United States, only in Kennedy's case by willful design. That Reagan ever tolerated the guy is a poor reflection on Reagan.

...McCain and Obama got along well personally, and liked each other in spite of their differences. These men, for all their various faults were true Americans.

Must be why even Obama referred to McCain as a racist.

Yeah. He died.

So much for the respect you claim to have had for John McCain. How long would it have taken you to type in a bit longer title? Something like, oh, I don't know, "Senator McCain Dies." Or perhaps "Senator John McCain Dies."

But no, you stuck with the most dismissive title you could craft.

But as you learned...

How do you justify such sanctimony?

Which is why Trump detested him.

Which is why you claim Trump detested him. But as all can see from this thread your only purpose in starting it was to jump on the "use McCain's death" bandwagon.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟363,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ah, so some leftists have assailed McCain, so that means all democrats must say that McCain is a racist. You're slipping back into your collectivist thinking again.

Because his passing provided the American left an opportunity to exploit his death as a means to attack President Trump. That is what the week's worth of ceremonies was actually about.

I don't think George W. Bush is a 'leftist.' Americans on both sides of the divide respect McCain, for the same reason that most Americans don't respect Trump.

Barbarian observes:
McCain strongly criticized Obama, but he also was capable of describing his opponent as a good man with whom he had fundamental differences.

If you are referring to the 2008 campaign, McCain caved to the pressures of the media at large which were, on a daily basis, calling him a racist.

That's completely at odds with the facts. And the notion that McCain had to be shamed into acting with decency regarding his opponent is just silly. McCain's character just wouldn't let him do otherwise. And it probably hurt him with the lunatic fringe who were calling Obama a Muslim, a terrorist, and not a citizen.

Didn't matter. For McCain, principle came first. It's an American thing. A lot of Trump people just don't get it.

It is one thing to maintain civility. It is another to pander to your opposition.

See, for a real American, saying that one's opponent is a decent person with whom one has fundamental disagreements isn't "pandering." It's just being an American.

As I said, a lot of Trump people don't get it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟363,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
So much for the respect you claim to have had for John McCain. How long would it have taken you to type in a bit longer title? Something like, oh, I don't know, "Senator McCain Dies." Or perhaps "Senator John McCain Dies."

But no, you stuck with the most dismissive title you could craft.

It's just what happened. So you're furious that I didn't include the honorific on one hand, and you're incensed that I called him a decent and honorable American on the other hand. Do you even read what you right before you hit the "post reply" button?

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟363,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
[QUOTE="Sistrin, post: 73153376, member: 309500"But as all can see from this thread your only purpose in starting it was to jump on the "use McCain's death" bandwagon.[/QUOTE]

Well, let's take a look. Here's what I said:

Barbarian's OP:
McCain managed to remain honest and decent regardless of his differences with others.
He gave his health and freedom for his country. He would have given his life.
May God bless and keep him.

I don't see how this can be construed as anything but praise for an American hero. If you think it amounts to a condemnation of anyone else, that probably is more about you than it is about me. It's got you overwrought with fury again. Calm yourself, and try to get some objectivity.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟747,316.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm Australian and not au fait with American politics, other than the usual stuff that gets headlined everywhere. As a nation, we're very much dependent on the American alliance, but when it comes to American domestic politics, we usually don't take a lot of notice. We've got our own peculiar brand in Canberra anyway, having gone through 6 prime ministers in 9 years.

I was standing outside a coffee shop a couple of weeks ago, and the owner had put a chalk sign on the footpath - "Stay calm! Only two more prime ministers till Christmas!"

But I digress.

I think John McCain was a tough cookie, considering what he went through as a POW in Vietnam. He may have come from a privileged background, which to me is one of the major flaws in American politics - there's too much money in too few hands, and too many working poor. It reminds me of a line in a movie about Charlie Chaplin - Chaplin, who was British by birth, remarked "This (the US) is a good country" to which his main actor replied, "Yes, if you're on top!"

But the fact is that Senator John McCain had a lot of guts.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I'm Australian and not au fait with American politics, other than the usual stuff that gets headlined everywhere. As a nation, we're very much dependent on the American alliance, but when it comes to American domestic politics, we usually don't take a lot of notice. We've got our own peculiar brand in Canberra anyway, having gone through 6 prime ministers in 9 years.

I was standing outside a coffee shop a couple of weeks ago, and the owner had put a chalk sign on the footpath - "Stay calm! Only two more prime ministers till Christmas!"

But I digress.

I think John McCain was a tough cookie, considering what he went through as a POW in Vietnam. He may have come from a privileged background, which to me is one of the major flaws in American politics - there's too much money in too few hands, and too many working poor. It reminds me of a line in a movie about Charlie Chaplin - Chaplin, who was British by birth, remarked "This (the US) is a good country" to which his main actor replied, "Yes, if you're on top!"

But the fact is that Senator John McCain had a lot of guts.

Yes he most certainly did! Does my heart good reading your post, you as an Australian giving him respect.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
McCain managed to remain honest and decent regardless of his differences with others.

McCain did a lot of terrible things. I'm sorry he died, and I'm sorry his family is suffering, but I would not describe the man as a hero, quite the opposite. The only reason several on the left are teary-eyed over him is because he hated Trump almost as much as they did.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟363,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
McCain did a lot of terrible things.

He joined the Navy and obeyed the lawful orders of his superiors as he swore to do. So he dropped bombs on people as ordered.

He divorced his wife and remarried. He had an explosive temper. He could curse like a trooper (which he was).

I'm sorry he died, and I'm sorry his family is suffering, but I would not describe the man as a hero, quite the opposite.

He, like me, wasn't so sure that the Vietnam War was a good thing. But we went as ordered and did our duty according to law. Only he willingly put himself in harms way, being willing to die for his country. He almost did die, and he was crippled for life. He paid a far, far greater price for his patriotism than I did.

That's a hero by American standards.

The fact that he was man enough to face a crowd of his own supporters and freely admit that Obama was a good man with whom he had serious disagreements just put a finer point on it.

Upvote 0

Brent W

Tech Admin
Mar 6, 2015
Alabama
Visit site
✟146,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
He joined the Navy and obeyed the lawful orders of his superiors as he swore to do. So he dropped bombs on people as ordered.

He divorced his wife and remarried. He had an explosive temper. He could curse like a trooper (which he was).

He, like me, wasn't so sure that the Vietnam War was a good thing. But we went as ordered and did our duty according to law. Only he willingly put himself in harms way, being willing to die for his country. He almost did die, and he was crippled for life. He paid a far, far greater price for his patriotism than I did.

That's a hero by American standards.

The fact that he was man enough to face a crowd of his own supporters and freely admit that Obama was a good man with whom he had serious disagreements just put a finer point on it.

People who say he wasn't a hero while backing Trump are disgusting.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Truthfrees

Supporter
May 20, 2015
✟277,188.00
Faith
Word of Faith

Someone who admires Trump is certainly not going to admire McCain.
i don't think you realize what mccain has really done

there is so much bias in news today that if you only get your facts from the news you will seriously miss what has really transpired

i am a trump supporter and i also know people that have served with mccain

he is not the man you all think he is

but in any case he has died - leaving many hurting on both sides

those who have been grievously harmed by him are hurting

those who think he is a hero are hurting

what is the solution?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Brent W

Tech Admin
Mar 6, 2015
Alabama
Visit site
✟146,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
he is not the man you all think he is

LOL but you are a Trump supporter. Someone who lies, cheats and only thinks of himself. Who did what he could do to not serve his country.

Yet you have the inside sources on the things McCain has done that somehow make him worse than the trash that is in the White House right now. Good grief. This country is doomed if people like you continue to pick our President. Absolutely no morals left in this country if people like Trump continue to come out on top.

I don't see that happening though. His electoral college win was narrow and his overall popular vote was pitiful at only 46 percent. He has certainly lost more voters by being the lying, cheating narcissist that has come out since being elected.

I've followed McCain's career since I was able to vote. I've met McCain briefly and have walked the halls of Congress and met with Senators and their staff many times. So, I know the kind of man McCain was. He may not have been perfect but he was always country first and always worked to befriend those whom also served in this countries political environment, even if he disagreed.

In your signature you have this:

Honesty, Integrity, Fidelity.

Yet these are none of the qualities that Trump, whom you support, holds.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.