✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
McCabe just made life tough for Comey and the special counsel

“I chose to share with a reporter through my public affairs officer and a legal counselor,” McCabe stated. “As deputy director, I was one of only a few people who had the authority to do that. It was not a secret, it took place over several days, and others, including the director, were aware of the interaction with the reporter.”

If the “interaction” means leaking the information, then McCabe’s statement would seem to directly contradict statements Comey made in a May 2017 congressional hearing. Asked if he had “ever been an anonymous source in news reports about matters relating to the Trump investigation or the Clinton investigation” or whether he had “ever authorized someone else at the FBI to be an anonymous source in news reports about the Trump investigation or the Clinton investigation,” Comey replied “never” and “no.”

Comey right now:
tenor.gif

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

“I chose to share with a reporter through my public affairs officer and a legal counselor,” McCabe stated. “As deputy director, I was one of only a few people who had the authority to do that. It was not a secret, it took place over several days, and others, including the director, were aware of the interaction with the reporter.”

If the “interaction” means leaking the information, then McCabe’s statement would seem to directly contradict statements Comey made in a May 2017 congressional hearing. Asked if he had “ever been an anonymous source in news reports about matters relating to the Trump investigation or the Clinton investigation” or whether he had “ever authorized someone else at the FBI to be an anonymous source in news reports about the Trump investigation or the Clinton investigation,” Comey replied “never” and “no.”

Comey right now:
tenor.gif

Perhaps you need to listen more closely to his explanation. He made very clear that there was a story about the bureau that was inaccurate, so they approached the reporter to provide more context. He did this with the full knowledge and permission of his superiors. That is not the same as 'leaking'.

Upvote 0

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Comey right now:
tenor.gif
That's a huge leap of faith right there.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi rion,

I don't think anyone has yet made any determination that the information shared with the media reporter was some sort of 'leaked' information. All of this needs to be looked into, of course, but according to McCabe's testimony this 'sharing' of information has always been a part of the job that he did and he says even continued under the new director, Wray. 'Leaks' are generally considered to be information of a confidential nature that is given out through some source that no one in the organization, for which the information is about, has any idea is being given out. According to McCabe's testimony, this wasn't the case.

If it does eventually come out that the information is of a type that may have normally been shared under other circumstances and that people above the one giving the information knew was being disseminated, then it really doesn't qualify as a 'leak'. I think we need to keep in mind that one's detractors and the media are prone to using agitating words to describe whatever it is that they're accusing someone else of doing. After all, for the media, agitating words sell papers and make for good news coverage.

Here's the part of his statement in which he addresses this idea that he 'leaked' information: In his statement, McCabe said he had the authority to share information with journalists through the public affairs office, a practice he said was common and continued under current Director Christopher Wray.

So, his claim is that this information sharing wasn't some 'deep throat' leaking that would be done under cover of anonymity. That he had the authority to share the information with news media and that it was several days worth of sharing that others knew about. The information was apparently concerning the investigation into the Clinton Foundation. What exactly was said regarding the Clinton Foundation investigation hasn't yet been made clear to us and has not yet been actually determined as classified information in any way. If all of this turns out to be correct and the information was not some classified information regarding the investigation, then Comey wouldn't be in any kind of trouble either. All of this is going to hinge on the FBI's determination of whether this information sharing was really 'leaking'. According to his statement all of this was even done with the approval of a legal counselor.

I'm sure we're going to hear more about it. One thing we know for sure by now is that Trump likes a good show and keeping everyone off balance is his basic strategic game plan.

According to a WP article filed just 2 days ago: The question now is: What does McCabe know, and how hard does he push back? We have yet to see what's in the inspector general's report, and it's quite possible that it will undercut McCabe's credibility and prove that his firing was warranted.

So, at this point, other than by Sessions claim, and we know he's a pawn in the hands of President Trump who's trying to keep his own job, what exactly McCabe did hasn't really been verified. The IG's report hasn't been released yet.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,722.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Anyone know how this is supposed to be in any way related to the special prosecutor's ongoing investigation of Russian influence in the elections? I mean the OP seems to have some inkling that it is bad news but I don't see the connection. Any guesses, or is this just more pro-Trump propaganda designed to make law enforcement look bad?

• Agree
Reactions: Speedwell
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
So the entire "if" clause is irrelevant then. If you say so counselor.

No, if it actually contradicts his sworn testimony, then Comey has given the big guy with the orange tan enough rope to hang him with.

Upvote 0