Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Michael Bloomberg Endorses Obama For Reelection

Excerpt:

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg endorsed President Barack Obama for reelection on Thursday, Bloomberg TV reported and The Huffington Post confirmed.

The mayor, an Independent, did not endorse a candidate in the 2008 election and hadn't seem poised to do so this time around either. But he said in an op ed published on his website that his eagerness to see action on climate change legislation persuaded him to back a second term for the president.

[...]"The devastation that Hurricane Sandy brought to New York City and much of the Northeast – in lost lives, lost homes and lost business – brought the stakes of Tuesday’s presidential election into sharp relief," Bloomberg said.

His endorsement seems likely to dominate the few remaining media cycles in the presidential race, if only for its unexpectedness. Just a week ago, Bloomberg had been highly critical of both Obama and Romney in an interview with The New York Times.

Obama said he was honored to receive the endorsement.

"While we may not agree on every issue, Mayor Bloomberg and I agree on the most important issues of our time -- that the key to a strong economy is investing in the skills and education of our people, that immigration reform is essential to an open and dynamic democracy, and that climate change is a threat to our children's future, and we owe it to them to do something about it," he said in a statement. "Just as importantly, we agree that whether we are Democrats, Republicans, or independents, there is only one way to solve these challenges and move forward as a nation -- together."

Last edited:

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟275,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Bloomberg endorses Obama. What a surprise.

Brooklyn, my friend---how are you making out, brother? Did the storm hit you bad? Everything else going okay with you?

Just letting you know that you're still in my thoughts and prayers. :)

Upvote 0

TheOtherHockeyMom

Contributor
Jul 9, 2008
✟14,889.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Are we seriously going to make threads about who's endorsing who?

And Bloomberg endorsing Obama you see as...positive?

Well, I've seen posts and threads about Lorenzo Lamas, Donnie and Marie and Rob Schneider endorsing Romney, not to mention Meatloaf, so I think Bloomberg's endorsement is at least as worthy of discussion.

I don't know much about Bloomberg as mayor, it's been a long time since I was a Jersey Girl, but I do think his reason of Obama being the better choice to combat climate change was worth noting.

Now, I kind of disagree. For those who think climate change is a major crisis (such as people directly affected by it), Romney is not a great option, as he doesn't even see fit to mention it on his website.

But, it comes down to that same third party discussion. Obama is also pretty weak on climate change, compared to Jill Stein, the only candidate who really makes it a part of their platform. So,as with so many other issues, do you vote for the lesser of two evils or vote for a candidate that one agrees with?

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Are we seriously going to make threads about who's endorsing who?

And Bloomberg endorsing Obama you see as...positive?

Bloomberg is the mayor of the largest city in the nation. He originally got elected to that office as a Republican. New Yorkers re-elect him by large margins every four years, and he's considered by many of the people of the city to be one of the better mayors in New York City history, an expert at city management.

In the past, he's been critical of Obama, and this I believe may well mark his first endorsement of a Democratic for President of the United States. He did not endorse Obama the last time, or anyone, and previous to that I think he endorsed Republicans. This is a surprise, and a very big deal.

Even this economically conservative guy is behind Obama, because he is seeing first hand how well Obama is managing the fallout from Hurricane Sandy, and he understands that global climate change is getting to the point where it's costing lives and damaging our cities.

Now, if you're going to ask me, am I personally a fan of Michael Bloomberg? The answer to that question is no. I'll never forget the horrible elitist things he said against the Occupy Wall-Street protesters, and the actions he ordered the New York City police he take against him. This guy is not on my Christmas card list. But, you know, that's sort of the point- even he is endorsing Obama, because it's clear to him that Obama is the best choice in this election. Obama is bringing a lot of people together who are not necessarily his natural political allies, because of his core competence, accomplishments, and willingness to reach across political lines for the good of the nation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Brooklyn Knight

On a narrow road but not narrow minded
Nov 21, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
✟13,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Bloomberg endorses Obama. What a surprise.

Brooklyn, my friend---how are you making out, brother? Did the storm hit you bad? Everything else going okay with you?

Just letting you know that you're still in my thoughts and prayers. :)

Good. Can't complain. Thankfully, my neighborhood wasn't hit that bad; just some flooding in a few areas close to the river.

Well, I've seen posts and threads about Lorenzo Lamas, Donnie and Marie and Rob Schneider endorsing Romney, not to mention Meatloaf, so I think Bloomberg's endorsement is at least as worthy of discussion.

Might want to look at some of the recent threads created by Fish and Bread.

It's not just him; it's becoming a joke.

Bloomberg is the mayor of the largest country in the nation.

Um...

I know what you're trying to say, but even with that said, so what?

He originally got elected to that office as a Republican. New Yorkers re-elect him by large margins every four years, and he's considered by many of the people of the city to be one of the better mayors in New York City history, an expert at city management.

Might want to look at that little spiel he pulled when he wanted to run for a third-term and the outcry that followed. Then, look what he did when he got elected.

Most of the things he's done, Giuliani did before him...and even then, he's botching it up; look at the increase in prices, the raising of taxes, the firing of city employees, the cold stance he has with some unions (I'll meet him halfway with regards to unions: some of that was indeed warranted).

He's your typical NY politician: when things don't go your way, you change political parties, and when you get caught doing something wrong, you try to play it down as much as possible.

Go ask Weiner, Rangel, Spitzer, Monserette, Paterson, Espada Jr. (And his son) and every crooked, lying, conniving NY politician on both the federal and state level.

So, yeah, you keep preaching to the empty choir how one goofball endorsing Obama is a good thing. Just don't be surprised when other New Yorkers laugh at you.

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I know what you're trying to say, but even with that said, so what?

I think for folks who follow politics and political endorsements, this qualifies as a pretty significant one. If you don't care about endorsements in general, I suppose you wouldn't care about this one either. However, this is the political sub-forum, so I figured some folks would be interested in some political news. :)

I do think that an independent economic conservative like Bloomberg endorsing a Democratic President is noteworthy. It's not once of those stories like "The Republican Governor of some state endorses the Republican candidate for President"- well, yeah, that's going to happen. But when an independent powerful elected official in the biggest city in the country endorses someone unexpectedly, I think that's worth a thread. And of course it's in a different category than an actor or a singer endorsing a politician, where those folks don't really have any particular expertise in government or politics (Though if we're going there, I'd say Bruce Springsteen has been a pretty good campaigner for Obama).

I'd also say him highlighting and recognizing the role of global climate change in the disaster that just hit his city, and basing his Presidential endorsement in large part on that, is significant. The global climate change deniers are losing the battle, because people see global climate change right in their backyards and neighborhoods. It's becoming obvious. And it's becoming a significant problem that is costing lives and money.

Then, look what he did when he got elected.
I'm not going to disagree with you there. Like I said, Bloomberg's harsh reaction to Occupy Wall-Street would ensure he wouldn't get my vote for anything, and I'm not necessarily a huge fan of his other policies either. But that's part of the thing here- this guy isn't exactly a liberal, and he's definitely not a Democrat, but he endorsed Obama anyway. That speaks well of Obama, I think, that he is getting endorsements from a lot of leading independents who held elected office as Republicans. Lincoln Chaffae (Who I do like) and Charlie Crist (Who I'm ambivalent about) also.

Go ask Weiner
You know, I always liked Anthony Weiner. I know that's not something that would play well to a crowd or make me popular. He's probably one of the least popular guys on the planet right now. But I enjoyed a lot of the speeches he gave and supported a lot of his policy positions. Clearly, he had a bit of a problem with the women and the Internet, and was unfaithful (at least in spirit) to his beautiful intelligent wife, which speaks poorly of him in a lot of ways, I can't defend that, but as a politician and a congressperson, personal life aside, I liked the guy.

Upvote 0

Brooklyn Knight

On a narrow road but not narrow minded
Nov 21, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
✟13,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
I think for folks who follow politics and political endorsements, this qualifies as a pretty significant one. If you don't care about endorsements in general, I suppose you wouldn't care about this one either. However, this is the political sub-forum, so I figured some folks would be interested in some political news. :)

Pretty significant one? Bloomberg?! The joke and a half?

I do think that an independent economic conservative like Bloomberg endorsing a Democratic President is noteworthy.

He's New York flip-flopper. What political banner hasn't he raised?

I'd also say him highlighting and recognizing the role of global climate change in the disaster that just hit his city, and basing his Presidential endorsement in large part on that, is significant. The global climate change deniers are losing the battle, because people see global climate change right in their backyards and neighborhoods. It's becoming obvious. And it's becoming a significant problem that is costing lives and money.

A tragedy, but this isn't the first hurricane to hit NJ/NY nor will it be the last.

When it hits Florida, Georgia and the Carolinas (And I'm not even going to bring up the Caribbean), that's just Mother Nature; when it comes along more North..."see, global warming!!"

You know, I always liked Anthony Weiner. I know that's not something that would play well to a crowd or make me popular. He's probably one of the least popular guys on the planet right now. But I enjoyed a lot of the speeches he gave and supported a lot of his policy positions. Clearly, he had a bit of a problem with the women and the Internet, and was unfaithful (at least in spirit) to his beautiful intelligent wife, which speaks poorly of him in a lot of ways, I can't defend that, but as a politician and a congressperson, personal life aside, I liked the guy.

I liked that he fought diligently for the First Responders Bill and berated almost every Republican that stood against it. What I don't like, however, is that he still kept a straight face saying that nothing happened when more evidence kept piling on that he sent photos to multiple parties, with one of them possibly being underage.

There was another NY politician who did something similar; republican congressman from NY - forgot his name. However, he sent 1 photo of himself and that was only him without a shirt.

He still had the common decency to remove himself from his political position.

Those other politicians I listed, look them up. It goes to show you that sad state of affairs in NY.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums