"May I" say the Jesus Prayer for other people?

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I do, but I omit, "...a sinner." Yes, I know we are all sinners, but it feels judgmental for me to label someone a sinner while praying for them. So, I pray, "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on John Doe."

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Is there scripture on that, Matt?
Why wouldn't we be able to pray for eachother, especially for salvation? Scripture talks about praying for others throughout the entire Bible.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why wouldn't we be able to pray for eachother, especially for salvation? Scripture talks about praying for others throughout the entire Bible.

No reason we shouldn't pray for others, matter of fact we should, but the subject was can someone other than the sinner pray for forgiveness for that sinner and will forgiveness be granted by God.

Reactions: mcarmichael
Upvote 0

mcarmichael

Novice
Sep 8, 2014
✟56,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No reason we shouldn't pray for others, matter of fact we should, but the subject was can someone other than the sinner pray for forgiveness for that sinner and will forgiveness be granted by God.
Nothing quite so technical actually. :)

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't think anyone would necessarily say that we are asking for forgiveness in lieu of personal repentance. However, God can soften a person's heart, and He can work in many ways. Honestly, we don't limit what God can do. We pray, however, out of love.

I'm guessing that you pray for the unsaved to find God, right? Essentially, you are praying for God to have mercy on them, but not in lieu of them asking for God's mercy as well.

Also, asking for mercy isn't just asking for forgiveness of sin.

Upvote 0

mcarmichael

Novice
Sep 8, 2014
✟56,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm guessing that you pray for the unsaved to find God, right? Essentially, you are praying for God to have mercy on them, but not in lieu of them asking for God's mercy as well.

Also, asking for mercy isn't just asking for forgiveness of sin.
Assume nothing. I've yet to say a prayer for anyone's salvation, other than a dog named "Benji".

Anyone living, I meant. I think I prayed a prayer at my father's funeral. If not, I did later.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.