California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
This week Google launched a Doodle series to recognize, honor, and give thanks to the many valiant helpers around the world who are dedicated to doing their part in combatting COVID-19 as we persevere through this global pandemic and all its challenges. Doodles have been designed to thank scientific researchers, public health care professionals, doctors, and nurses. Today it's to express gratitude to the custodial and sanitation workers.

Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 6.09.10 PM.png

I think it's a coincidence this Doodle is on Maundy Thursday, but it brought to heart the illustration of humble service Christ provided for us when He washed the feet of His disciples before the Last Supper. The act of humility, hospitality and love was beautiful, profound, and replicable. It also symbolizes the washing away of sin.

There is dignity and honor in the work of custodians and janitors, and it's too often undervalued in society, or even scorned as lowly. Their work is especially vital now, and it benefits us all. Please give thanks for them today in your prayers. And when we reemerge into the bustle of life after the quarantine please make the point of giving your appreciation, through deeds more than words, by showing respectfulness in throwing trash away properly, and cleaning up after yourself as much as possible.

I am also contemplating the word custodian, how it has two meanings; one regarding the occupation, and the second being: "a person who has responsibility for or looks after something." We can all be custodians of the commandments of Christ. I know there are many who do not believe in His divinity but do believe He was a man of extraordinary wisdom, so they too, if they wish, can be custodians of the command he gave on Maundy Thursday.

In John 13:34 Christ said: “A new commandment I give you, that you love one another; even as I have loved you, that you also love one another.” New commandment, in the Latin of the Vulgate, is novum mandātum. This is in turn lead to "mande" in Old French, then maundy. The Latin word mandātum is the source of both "Maundy" and "mandate" in English. I think striving to have the fruit of the Spirit - love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control, and finding ways to be of service in whatever safe way we can during this pandemic and afterwards is a way to follow this mandate. We can still socially and spiritually connect while respecting the physical distancing protocols for coronavirus, such as sending letters or calling those who are isolated, praying, making monetary donations to help healthcare providers or those in need, or giving blood are all ways of loving one another.

The title is specific to the Bay Area but the ideas are universal:
Coronavirus: 7 ways you can help Bay Area doctors and nurses right now
From supplying coffee to sending virtual cards, here are some ways to support health care workers on the front lines of fighting COVID-19

Depending on the time zone you live in, you may have already had dinner, but I wanted to invite you all to "join" my hometown church for a meal tonight if you haven't.

World Wide Meal
A Maundy Thursday Experience
Thursday, April 9th 2020

Here is a meal guide:
THE GOD WHO SEES
Perceiving the Last Supper Amidst the Pandemic

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Direct link to the video about the World Wide Meal:

Mike: "It's been said that when a church door is closed, God opens a browser window."
Rebecca: "Has it been said?"

Hahaha.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0