Matthew Chapter 6 Verses 5-6

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,268.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
5. Again, when you pray, you should not be like the hypocrites, who love to pray standing in the synogogues (churches) and at the street corners, in order that they may be seen by men. Amen, I say to you, they have received their rewards.
6. But when you pray, go into your room and close your door, pray to your Father in secret, and your Father, who sees in secret, will reward you.

According to Jesus, it's much better to pray in private.
For churches,most are blessing service begining and ending,I not seeing that as a bad thing,don't see anything bad about someone receiving there reward right there,I'm thinking if they really love God,they also pray in private all the time.If you feel it's wrong,then don't pray in public.

Upvote 0

jim48

Site Supporter
Feb 23, 2018
WEST FRANKFORT
✟23,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That verse isn't condemning all public prayer but condemns public prayer which is done only to make the one praying look good. The Pharisees wanted to look holy and religious, they wanted to glorify themselves. This is what is condemned, not public prayer in general.
It's my understanding that Jesus was speaking at the sermon at the mount when he instructed them not to pray in public. He was addressing those people and not the pharisees.

Upvote 0