Aug 8, 2011
Ol Misery
✟16,433.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Matthew 5; 13 Is About A Cognitive Problem In the Ekklesia Now
A cognitive problem goes along with the falling away from sound doctrine of II Thessalonians 2: 3-4.. In the parable of the salt in Matthew 5; 13 it says "Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men."

We may think that "savour" merely refers to how salt gives food a better taste. But the Greek word behind savour is Strong's Exhaustive Concordance number 3471, moraino, from 3474, moros, "dull or stupid, as if to shut up, heedless, blockhead..." Moraino is a cognitive condition. Under the many false prophets operating for decades, the churches have lost their intelligence, which means their spiritual discernment.

Short attention spans is one effect of dumbing down, or what is called Attention Deficit Disorder. The ability to focus attention for a period of time on one topic underlies several cognitive abilities, such as the ability to tell the difference between what is important and what is not important, the ability to create clear gist meanings, the ability to remember at the right time what has been stored in long term memory, the ability to think in cause and effect terms, clarity of perception of space and time, the ability to isolate and pay close attention to something which is a small part of a more complex whole, the ability to hold more than one item of information in consciousness at a time, and the ability to combine information into new possible connections, or, in other words, creativity. All these cognitive abilities underlie understanding, which includes understanding of texts, and the scriptures. People who are dumbed down have difficulty in reading and understanding a text, and this includes the Bible.

Dumbed down people who claim to be Christians have a problem in understanding fundamental doctrines of the Gospel. In what can be called the II Timothy 3: 4-8 church there is a lot of confusion about the difference between physical Israel and the Israel of the New Covenant, about what the church is, in relation to Israel of the Old Covenant, and the Israel of the New Covenant. Paul writes about these differences, but as Peter says in II Peter 3: 15-16, some of Paul's writings are hard to understand and that "they that are unlearned and unstable wrest (wrestle)...unto their own destruction."

The dumbed down Christians have problems in understanding Paul in key texts like Romans 2: 23-29, Romans 9: 6-8, Romans 11: 25-26, Galatians 3: 3-29 and Galatians 4: 24-26, all of which deal with the differences between Old Covenant physical Israel and New Covenant Israel, what Paul calls the Israel of God in Galatians 6: 16. That scripture must be interpreted literally is more likely to be uncritically accepted by those who are dumbed down cognitively.

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, "foolish" seems quite fitting in the Greek there, but another rendering of the word is "losing its distinctive qualities". That is more of what is happening; and that seems to be what can be said of modern Christendom (profession only), rather than pure Christianity. We are living in the end times and very close to the final days, it seems to some of us. The enemy of our souls is working hard to destroy God's testimony and he is finding willing subjects in Christendom. He is surely "dumbing down" Bible truth for casual readers.

This is why I am always speaking of the urgent need to hold firm to Bible-only for Christian authority; and also why I value the sound site at Biblecounsel.homestead.com to see what God intends for His testimony in the world. Visit there and see what you think! One can also ask questions of the site manager on that testimony and about Bible study in general. Look up always for "...our redemption draweth nigh" ---for those who are truly "born again".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
OP:
Matthew 5:13(NASB)...a snippet from Jesus'Sermon on the Mount to both crowds and His followers:
Disciples and the World
13 “You are the salt of the earth; (a metaphor!)
but if the salt has become tasteless, how can it be made salty again?
It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled under foot by men.

Natural Salt is good for:
1. seasoning
2. preservation
3. protection

Here is another metaphor and message by Jesus to His Closest Followers: BE FRUITFUL!

John 15: 1-17 (NASB)....Jesus Is the Vine, Father is the Vine-Dresser, His Followers Are the Branches...extracts
ABIDE (dwell) in Me, and I in you.
ABIDE in My love.
If you keep My commandments, (CAUSE)
you will abide in My love; (EFFECT)
just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.
These things I have spoken to you so that My JOY may be in you, and that
your joy may be made full. (here and now!)
“This is My commandment, that
you love one another, just as I have loved you....
This I command you, that you love one another.

John 15: 1-17 (NASB)
“I am the true vine, and
My Father is the vinedresser.
Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit, He takes away;(prunes) and
every branch that bears fruit, He prunes it so that it may bear MORE fruit.
You ( believing followers) are already clean ( pruned / forgiven) because of the word which I have spoken to you.
1. ABIDE (dwell) in Me, and I in you.
As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine,
so neither can you unless you abide in Me. 5
>>>I am the vine, you are the branches<<<;
he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit,
for APART from Me you can do NOTHING. (of spiritual value)
If anyone does not abide in Me, (UN-believer)
he is thrown away AS a branch and dries up;
and they (angels) gather them, and cast them into the fire and they are burned. (SEE: parable of the "tares"!)
If you ABIDE (dwell in) in Me, and My "words" ABIDE in you,
ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.
My Father is glorified by this, that
you bear much fruit, and
so PROVE to be My disciples.( believing followers)
Just as the Father has loved Me,
I have also loved you;
ABIDE in My love.
If you keep My commandments, (CAUSE)
you will ABIDE in My love; (EFFECT)
just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and ABIDE in His love.
These things I have spoken to you so that My JOY may be in you, and that
your joy may be made full. (here and now)
“This is My commandment, that
you love one another, just as I have loved you.
Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends.
You are My friends if you do what I command you.
No longer do I call you slaves, for the slave does not know what his master is doing;
but I have called you friends, for all things that I have heard from My Father I have made known to you.
You did not choose Me but I chose you, and
appointed you that you would go and bear fruit, and
that your fruit would remain,
so that whatever you ask of the Father in My name He may give to you.
This I command you, that you love one another.

Upvote 0