Matthew 24:1-2, Literal Stones Of A Temple?

Truth7t7

Dec 20, 2012
✟84,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Preterism teaches in error, that the fulfillment of Matthew 24:1-2 were literal temple stones being cast down in the 66-70AD Roman Destruction Of Jerusalem?

The preterist teaching is 100% error, as Jesus destroyed the temple "symbolically" through his death, burial, and resurrection, the veil in the holy place was torn from top to bottom Matthew 27:51, the temple was demolished, gone, removed, as Jesus Christ himself fulfilled Matthew 24:1-2

Jesus is now the holy place, a temple made without hands, where we as priest and kings go to in intercession, having open access to the throne. Hebrews 9

Mark 14:58KJV
We heard him say, I will destroy this temple that is made with hands, and within three days I will build another made without hands.

Last edited:

jgr

Site Supporter
Feb 25, 2008
✟783,767.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Preterism teaches in error, that the fulfillment of Matthew 24:1-2 was literal temple stones being cast down in the 66-70AD Roman Destruction Of Jerusalem?

The preterist teaching is 100% error, as Jesus destroyed the temple "symbolically" through his death, burial, and resurrection, the veil in the holy place was torn from top to bottom Matthew 27:51, the temple was demolished, gone, removed, as Jesus Christ himself fulfilled Matthew 24:1-2

Jesus is now the holy place, a temple made without hands, where we as priest and kings go to in intercession, having open access to the throne. Hebrews 9

We heard him say, I will destroy this temple that is made with hands, and within three days I will build another made without hands.

Matthew 24
1 And Jesus went out, and departed from the temple: and his disciples came to him for to shew him the buildings of the temple.
2 And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.

When the disciples "came to him for to shew him the buildings of the temple", were they pointing to His body?

When Jesus said "See ye not all these things", was He pointing to His own body?

Did Jesus or anyone else ever describe His body anywhere in Scripture as "one stone upon another"?

John 2
19 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.

Jesus never said "Destroy this temple that is made with hands".

Upvote 0

Truth7t7

Dec 20, 2012
✟84,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 24
1 And Jesus went out, and departed from the temple: and his disciples came to him for to shew him the buildings of the temple.
2 And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.

When the disciples "came to him for to shew him the buildings of the temple", were they pointing to His body?

Did Jesus or anyone else ever describe His body anywhere in Scripture as "one stone upon another"?

John 2
19 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.

Reactions: BABerean2
Upvote 0

Truth7t7

Dec 20, 2012
✟84,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 26:61
And said, This fellow said, I am able to destroy the temple of God, and to build it in three days.

Matthew 27:40
And saying, Thou that destroyest the temple, and buildest it in three days, save thyself. If thou be the Son of God, come down from the cross.

Mark 14:58

Mark 15:29
And they that passed by railed on him, wagging their heads, and saying, Ah, thou that destroyest the temple, and buildest it in three days,

John 2:20
Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?
Matthew 24

John 2

Upvote 0

jgr

Site Supporter
Feb 25, 2008
✟783,767.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 26:61
And said, This fellow said, I am able to destroy the temple of God, and to build it in three days.

Matthew 27:40
And saying, Thou that destroyest the temple, and buildest it in three days, save thyself. If thou be the Son of God, come down from the cross.

Mark 14:58

Mark 15:29
And they that passed by railed on him, wagging their heads, and saying, Ah, thou that destroyest the temple, and buildest it in three days,

John 2:20
Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?

Waiting for your answers to questions in post #2.

Upvote 0

Truth7t7

Dec 20, 2012
✟84,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus Christ Replaced, Destroyed, Demolished, the temple building in Jerusalem, with a perfect tabernacle in himself, this taking place upon his death, burial, and resurrection, paying close attention to verse 11 below.

Verse (2) Tabernacle made with hands.

Verse (11) Tabernacle made without hands.

Tabernacle/Temple destroyed in Jerusalem, at the death, burial, and resurrection, of Jesus Christ, Fulfilling Matthew 24:1-2

Hebrews 9King James Version (KJV)
9 Then verily the first covenant had also ordinances of divine service, and a worldly sanctuary.
2 For there was a tabernacle made; the first, wherein was the candlestick, and the table, and the shewbread; which is called the sanctuary.
3 And after the second veil, the tabernacle which is called the Holiest of all;
4 Which had the golden censer, and the ark of the covenant overlaid round about with gold, wherein was the golden pot that had manna, and Aaron's rod that budded, and the tables of the covenant;
5 And over it the cherubims of glory shadowing the mercyseat; of which we cannot now speak particularly.
6 Now when these things were thus ordained, the priests went always into the first tabernacle, accomplishing the service of God.
7 But into the second went the high priest alone once every year, not without blood, which he offered for himself, and for the errors of the people:
8 The Holy Ghost this signifying, that the way into the holiest of all was not yet made manifest, while as the first tabernacle was yet standing:
9 Which was a figure for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience;
10 Which stood only in meats and drinks, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation.
11 But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building;
12 Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.
13 For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh:
14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.
16 For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.
17 For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.
18 Whereupon neither the first testament was dedicated without blood.
19 For when Moses had spoken every precept to all the people according to the law, he took the blood of calves and of goats, with water, and scarlet wool, and hyssop, and sprinkled both the book, and all the people,
20 Saying, This is the blood of the testament which God hath enjoined unto you.
21 Moreover he sprinkled with blood both the tabernacle, and all the vessels of the ministry.
22 And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.
23 It was therefore necessary that the patterns of things in the heavens should be purified with these; but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these.
24 For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, which are the figures of the true; but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us:
25 Nor yet that he should offer himself often, as the high priest entereth into the holy place every year with blood of others;
26 For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.
27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Preterism teaches in error, that the fulfillment of Matthew 24:1-2 were literal temple stones being cast down in the 66-70AD Roman Destruction Of Jerusalem?

Dispensational Futurists are willing to twist the scripture into a pretzel to make their doctrine work.
The statement above is typical of that doctrine.

In Matthew 24:1-2 Jesus told His disciples that the temple stones they were looking at would not be left one upon another.
How much clearer could the text be?

Mat 24:1 And Jesus went out, and departed from the temple: and his disciples came to him for to shew him the buildings of the temple.
Mat 24:2 And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.

This interpretation is confirmed by the following passages.

Mat 23:37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!

Mat 23:38 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate.

Luk 19:41 And when he was come near, he beheld the city, and wept over it,

Luk 19:42 Saying, If thou hadst known, even thou, at least in this thy day, the things which belong unto thy peace! but now they are hid from thine eyes.

Luk 19:43 For the days shall come upon thee, that thine enemies shall cast a trench about thee, and compass thee round, and keep thee in on every side,

Luk 19:44 And shall lay thee even with the ground, and thy children within thee; and they shall not leave in thee one stone upon another; because thou knewest not the time of thy visitation.

Anyone who denies that the above happened during 70 AD needs to read a history book, and then go to modern Jerusalem to see if the 2nd Jewish temple is still standing today.

Upvote 0

Truth7t7

Dec 20, 2012
✟84,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dispensational Futurists are willing to twist the scripture into a pretzel to make their doctrine work.
The statement above is typical of that doctrine.

In Matthew 24:1-2 Jesus told His disciples that the temple stones they were looking at would not be left one upon another.
How much clearer could the text be?

Mat 24:1 And Jesus went out, and departed from the temple: and his disciples came to him for to shew him the buildings of the temple.
Mat 24:2 And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.

This interpretation is confirmed by the following passages.

Mat 23:37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!

Mat 23:38 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate.

Luk 19:41 And when he was come near, he beheld the city, and wept over it,

Luk 19:42 Saying, If thou hadst known, even thou, at least in this thy day, the things which belong unto thy peace! but now they are hid from thine eyes.

Luk 19:43 For the days shall come upon thee, that thine enemies shall cast a trench about thee, and compass thee round, and keep thee in on every side,

Luk 19:44 And shall lay thee even with the ground, and thy children within thee; and they shall not leave in thee one stone upon another; because thou knewest not the time of thy visitation.

Anyone who denies that the above happened during 70 AD needs to read a history book, and then go to modern Jerusalem to see if the 2nd Jewish temple is still standing today.

Anybody that denies the clear teaching in Hebrews 9 in post #6 above, that Jesus Christ destroyed/replaced the temple in Jerusalem, by his death, burial, and resurrection, is beyond me, no history book needed.

Matthew 27:51 The veil in the Holy place torn from top to bottom, the Jerusalem temple was demolished!

Just as the dispy's fight against the clear teaching of scripture to keep their teaching alive, preterist do the same.

Upvote 0

claninja

Jan 8, 2017
indiana
✟298,336.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

In passages where jesus talks about the temple being raised in 3 days, we clearly know it is about his death and resurrection, as John explains this:

Jesus answered them, “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.” The Jews then said, “It has taken forty-six years to build this temple, and will you raise it up in three days?” But he was speaking about the temple of his body. When therefore he was raised from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this, and they believed the Scripture and the word that Jesus had spoken.
John 2:19-22

So if you are saying that this spiritual temple is what Jesus is talking about in Matthew 24:1-2, then you are saying that Jesus is talking about his death and resurrection in Matthew 24:1-2.

So do you believe the death and ressurection of Christ occur around the time of the abomination/desolation?

Upvote 0

TribulationSigns

Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2017
Colorado
✟415,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
In passages where jesus talks about the temple being raised in 3 days, we clearly know it is about his death and resurrection, as John explains this:

Jesus answered them, “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.” The Jews then said, “It has taken forty-six years to build this temple, and will you raise it up in three days?” But he was speaking about the temple of his body. When therefore he was raised from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this, and they believed the Scripture and the word that Jesus had spoken.

Correct.

Joh 2:18-21
[18] Then answered the Jews and said unto him, What sign shewest thou unto us, seeing that thou doest these things?
[19] Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.
[20] Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?
[21] But he spake of the temple of his body.

The temple Christ talked about was NOT physical. Before the cross and the destruction of the temple Christ talked about, it is the Old Testament congregation which His people, Jews, part of. Jesus Christ who is Messiah the Prince, told His people to destroy this temple as a sign. And they did, fulfilling what Daniel wrote:

Dan 9:26
[26] And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined.

Jesus is Messiah the Prince and the people of THAT prince were the Jews because they are his congregation which His body represents prior to the Cross and the death of Christ! Then His disciples spoke with Christ:

Mat 24:1-2
[1] And Jesus went out, and departed from the temple: and his disciples came to him for to shew him the buildings of the temple.
[2] And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.

Christ did NOT talk about a physical destruction of temple in 70AD! Christ knew what He was talking about and his disciples did not understand this until after the reserrection. Sadly, there are some people in premillennialism and pretriestism who are holding on to physical temple or physical fulfillments.

Therefore, the fall of the temple and the city (Christ) already took place at the Cross becasue the kingdom was taken from them and gave to the one that Christ rebuilt in 3 days which is the New Testament congregation, the Church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

claninja

Jan 8, 2017
indiana
✟298,336.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
[1] And Jesus went out, and departed from the temple: and his disciples came to him for to shew him the buildings of the temple.
[2] And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.

Christ did NOT talk about a physical destruction of temple in 70AD!

So he is talking about his death and resurrection here?

The disciples then ask when this will be.

As he sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately, saying, “Tell us, when will these things be (temple destruction) and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?”
Matthew 24:3

So Jesus’ death and resurrection occur near the great tribulation and abomination that causes desolation?

15 “So when you see the abomination of desolation spoken of by the prophet Daniel, standing in the holy place (let the reader understand), 21 For then there will be great tribulation, such as has not been from the beginning of the world until now, no, and never will be.
Matthew 24:15,21

Upvote 0

TribulationSigns

Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2017
Colorado
✟415,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
So he is talking about his death and resurrection here?

What do you think? The answer is right here.

[18] Then answered the Jews and said unto him, What sign shewest thou unto us, seeing that thou doest these things?
[19] Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.
[20] Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?

The disciples then ask when this will be.

Yes, just like the Jews when they thought Christ was talking about a physical temple and buildings. Christ's answer pointed to something else which the disciples understands AFTER THE RESURRECTION, even AFTER the Olivet Discourse was given.

As he sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately, saying, “Tell us, when will these things be (temple destruction) and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?”
Matthew 24:3

1.) When shall these things be?

Matthew 24:9
  • "Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake."
Then (at this time) is when "these things" shall be. And clearly, this refers to the tribulation of the Church during the end times. Thus question number one is answered. It is at the time just preceding Christ's Second Coming.

The second question, 2.) And what shall be the sign of Christ's coming and of the end of the world?

That's answered by the word of God also.

Matthew 24:29-30
  • "Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
  • And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory."
So rather than be ignored, the question is answered. The sign of Christ's coming will be immediately after "these things" of the great tribulation. The sign of His coming is that the sun is darkened and the moon will not give her light.

So Jesus’ death and resurrection occur near the great tribulation and abomination that causes desolation?
15 “So when you see the abomination of desolation spoken of by the prophet Daniel, standing in the holy place (let the reader understand), 21 For then there will be great tribulation, such as has not been from the beginning of the world until now, no, and never will be.
Matthew 24:15,21

No. You need to notice that there are two desolations in daniel 9:26-27. Verse 26 is abouit the desolate of the old testament congregation before Christ confirm a covenant (with new testament congregation) in verse 27. However, in verse 27, the new testament congregation will suffer desolate just like Israel was. Therefore the abomiantion of desolation in Matthew 24:15 refers to New Testament congregation (Church) in the time of the end (prior to Second Coming). Not 70AD, not Papal, Not 7 years peace treaty.

Now....as for the buildings of the temple in Matthew 24:1-2...

The buildings were a "type" of the true. As were the jars of purifying water, their trips to Jerusalem three times a year, Circumcision, the sacrifices, etc., etc. Jesus gave the disciples literal bread and wine, but that is not what He was referring to when he spoke of it (despite Roman Catholic insistence). There is a spiritual and there is literal. The Jewish people, just like the dispensationalists today, could not get past the literal, therefore they to this day think they can be saved by good works, and that the Messiah hasn't yet come, and that Jerusalem is a Holy City and the Temple and wailing wall a Holy place (or building a third temple). Like many today, they miss the whole point!

As for the Temple building, would that be the very same Holy Temple that Jesus threw the Buyers and Sellers out of, and when the Jews asked Him for a Sign demonstrating He had the power to do such, Christ said "Destroy this Temple and in three days I will raise it up?" Despite the fact that He had just thrown the merchants out of "that" literal Temple Building, was that the one He was talking about? ..or was the one Christ was talking about a spiritual temple that made up of these buyers and sellers? DESPITE what they would "assume" from His words.

The fact is, those who had no spiritual discernment, thought the very same way that those without spiritual insights, Premillennialist leanings, or Dispensationalist theology think today. Like so many others, they "automatically" assumed that Christ must be talking about the literal Temple and marveled How he could say such a thing seeing as it took forty-six years to build. Who could blame them for thinking literal temple, those poor people, AFTER all, He had just thrown the buyers and Sellers out of it and this is what they were questioning Him about. Nevertheless, despite their "assumptions" Christ was not talking about the literal Temple there, AS YOU KNEW IT! It was NOT about the literal building, He was speaking spiritually about them killing Him. It is His people ("people of the prince") He is the Temple HIMSELF that they would destroy, and which He would raise up in three days. And his body represents the congregaiton - - PEOPLE! Not literal stones!

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just as the dispy's fight against the clear teaching of scripture to keep their teaching alive, preterist do the same.

And where are you in this story?

You have rejected the pretrib doctrine and the premill doctrine, but so far have failed to acknowledge the fulfillment of the New Covenant promised in Jeremiah 31:31-34, and found fulfilled by Christ during the first century in Hebrews 8:6-13. This New Covenant is specifically applied to the Church in Hebrews 12:18-24, and 2 Corinthians 3:6-8.

You have claimed the first part of Luke 21:24 lies in the future, even though you have not shown even one Bible scholar that agrees with you.

You have denied that Jesus said anything about the destruction of the temple in 70 AD, even though it is specifically found in Luke 19:41-44.

At this point in time you are trying to sit on a Dispensational Futurist's stool with only 2 legs.
You have willingly sawed off the Pretrib/Premill leg.

And in the meantime you are trying to convince the rest of us that your stool is just fine...

Upvote 0

jgr

Site Supporter
Feb 25, 2008
✟783,767.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Correct.

The temple Christ talked about was NOT physical. Before the cross and the destruction of the temple Christ talked about, it is the Old Testament congregation which His people, Jews, part of. Jesus Christ who is Messiah the Prince, told His people to destroy this temple as a sign. And they did, fulfilling what Daniel wrote:

Dan 9:26
[26] And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined.

Jesus is Messiah the Prince and the people of THAT prince were the Jews because they are his congregation which His body represents prior to the Cross and the death of Christ! Then His disciples spoke with Christ:

Christ did NOT talk about a physical destruction of temple in 70AD! Christ knew what He was talking about and his disciples did not understand this until after the reserrection. Sadly, there are some people in premillennialism and pretriestism who are holding on to physical temple or physical fulfillments.

Therefore, the fall of the temple and the city (Christ) already took place at the Cross becasue the kingdom was taken from them and gave to the one that Christ rebuilt in 3 days which is the New Testament congregation, the Church.
I know that we all concur for the need to distinguish between the Jerusalem physical temple, and the temple of Jesus' body. But in Matthew 24:1-2:

Matthew 24

When Jesus said "See ye not all these things", was He pointing to His own body, or to the temple buildings? Nowhere else in Scripture that I'm aware of did He describe His body as "all these things" or what could be interpreted as such, but rather simply as "temple".

Did Jesus or anyone else ever describe His body anywhere in Scripture as "one stone upon another"? Chief Cornerstone or equivalent, yes. But not "one stone upon another" that I'm aware of.

We know from history's independent record that the temple buildings were literally destroyed, consistent with a literal interpretation of Matthew 24:1-2. We also know, from both history and other Scripture, that not less than half of the remainder of the chapter was literally fulfilled.

If there is a spiritual interpretation of any given Scripture, I know that we all are attuned to recognize it. But I would say that, in this instance, the evidence for a literal interpretation is greater and more consistent than that for a spiritual.

Upvote 0

Truth7t7

Dec 20, 2012
✟84,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your preterist interpretation takes the "literal" in Matthew 24:29-31 in the second advent, and removes this in a symbolic interpretation.

It takes Matthew 24:2 as a literal interpretation, and disregards the symbolic interpretation, as the bible teaches.

You believe a literal temple and stones, the bible teaches a symbolic temple destroyed.

Matthew 27:51 the veil was rent to the Holy place in the temple in Jerusalem.

Was the veil in the temple "literally" torn from the top to bottom, I don't believe so.

This is symbolic, showing the temple and it's priestly service is "Replaced/Destroyed"!

Hebrews 9:1-11

Verse (2) A sanctuary/temple made with hands.

Verse (11) A sanctuary/temple made without hands.

The sanctuary/temple made without hands, has replaced/demolished the temple in Jerusalem made with hands, not one stone upon another was left, at the death, burial, resurrection, of Jesus Christ.

The evidence for the "symbolic" fulfillment of Matthew 24:2 is the fact of scripture as presented.
I know that we all concur for the need to distinguish between the Jerusalem physical temple, and the temple of Jesus' body. But in Matthew 24:1-2:

Matthew 24

When Jesus said "See ye not all these things", was He pointing to His own body, or to the temple buildings? Nowhere else in Scripture that I'm aware of did He describe His body as "all these things" or what could be interpreted as such, but rather simply as "temple".

Did Jesus or anyone else ever describe His body anywhere in Scripture as "one stone upon another"? Chief Cornerstone or equivalent, yes. But not "one stone upon another" that I'm aware of.

We know from history's independent record that the temple buildings were literally destroyed, consistent with a literal interpretation of Matthew 24:1-2. We also know, from both history and other Scripture, that not less than half of the remainder of the chapter was literally fulfilled.

If there is a spiritual interpretation of any given Scripture, I know that we all are attuned to recognize it. But I would say that, in this instance, the evidence for a literal interpretation is greater and more consistent than that for a spiritual.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jgr

Site Supporter
Feb 25, 2008
✟783,767.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Your preterist interpretation takes the "literal" in Matthew 24:29-31 in the second advent, and removes this in a symbolic interpretation.

It takes Matthew 24:2 as a literal interpretation, and disregards the symbolic interpretation, as the bible teaches.

You believe a literal temple and stones, the bible teaches a symbolic temple destroyed.

Matthew 27:51 the veil was rent to the Holy place in the temple in Jerusalem.

Was the veil in the temple "literally" torn from the top to bottom, I don't believe so.

This is symbolic, showing the temple and it's priestly service is "Replaced/Destroyed"!

The sanctuary/temple made without hands, has replaced/demolished the temple in Jerusalem made with hands, not one stone upon another was left, at the death, burial, resurrection, of Jesus Christ.

The evidence for the "symbolic" fulfillment of Matthew 24:2 is the fact of scripture as presented.
Matthew 27
50 Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.
51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;
52 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,
53 And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

If the veil was not literally rent, then it could be argued that any of the events in the surrounding verses did not literally occur.

But there is geological evidence of the accompanying earthquake . Why would the earthquake be literal, but the rending not? And the events in the surrounding verses certainly also literally occurred.

And the veil was literally rent.

The reality is that literal events which occurred, frequently also had associated spiritual significance. The literal destruction of Jerusalem and the temple signified the spiritual death of the Old Covenant. The NASB translation of Matthew 24:8 describes the calamities preceding that destruction as birth pangs, signifying the ultimate spiritual birth of the New Covenant. The literal rending of the veil signified the new direct spiritual access to the Father under the New Covenant.

Matthew 24:1-2 thus heralded both a literal event (physical "death" of the temple), and an associated spiritual event (spiritual death of the Old Covenant).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Truth7t7

Dec 20, 2012
✟84,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Did The Sanctuary/Temple Made Without Hands, Replace Spiritually/Symbolically The Temple In Jerusalem Made With Hands?

Hebrews 9:1-28

Verse (2) A sanctuary/temple made with hands?

Verse (11) A sanctuary/temple made without hands?

Matthew 27
50 Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.
51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;
52 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,
53 And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

If the veil was not literally rent, then it could be argued that any of the events in the surrounding verses did not literally occur.

But there is geological evidence of the accompanying earthquake . Why would the earthquake be literal, but the rending not? And the events in the surrounding verses certainly also literally occurred.

And the veil was literally rent.

The reality is that literal events which occurred frequently also had accompanying spiritual significance. The literal destruction of Jerusalem and the temple signified the spiritual death of the Old Covenant. The NASB translation of Matthew 24:8 describes the calamities preceding that destruction as birth pangs, signifying the ultimate spiritual birth of the New Covenant. The literal rending of the veil signified the new direct spiritual access to the Father under the New Covenant.

Matthew 24:1-2 heralded both a literal and a spiritual event.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jgr

Site Supporter
Feb 25, 2008
✟783,767.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Did The Sanctuary/Temple Made Without Hands, Replace Spiritually/Symbolically The Temple In Jerusalem Made With Hands?

I guess it's time for our readers to decide.

Upvote 0

jgr

Site Supporter
Feb 25, 2008
✟783,767.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

You're also mixing your metaphors.

It is we who are now the temple.

1 Corinthians 3
16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?

Christ is the high priest of the tabernacle not made with hands. The verse does not say that He is the tabernacle itself.

Hebrews 9
11 But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building;

Reactions: BABerean2
Upvote 0

Truth7t7

Dec 20, 2012
✟84,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You're also mixing your metaphors.

It is we who are now the temple.

1 Corinthians 3
16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?

Christ is the high priest of the tabernacle not made with hands. The verse does not say that He is the tabernacle itself.

Hebrews 9
Did the death, burial, and resurrection, Destroy the temple in Jerusalem?

We Are The Temple Now, Ok I Agree.

However I Believe This Was Accomplished At The Death, Burial, And Resurrection Of Jesus.

Was The Temple In Jerusalem Replaced Spiritually?

100% Yes!

There Is Your Fulfillment Of Matthew 24:2, The Temple In Jerusalem Did't Exist After The Atonment Of Jesus Christ.

Hebrews 9:1-28

Last edited:
Upvote 0