• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured LDS Matthew 22 & Eternal Marriage

Discussion in 'Debate Other Religions & Faiths' started by Solomon Smith, Sep 25, 2018.

1. mmksparbud

mmksparbud Well-Known Member

+4,675
    United States
    SDA
    Widowed
    US-Others

Wrong!! A ragdoll is made in our image---we are not made in the image of a ragdoll. Jesus was never created---He "became" a man through the power of the Holy Spirit at the incarnation. Before that He was never human, nor was His Father ever human. Bible does not explain what that face, and hands looked like. We can not see His face and live. A dog has a face, so does a gorilla---big difference. Likeness, image does not equal exactly the same thing, exactly the same substance. before the incarnation Jesus could not be seen face to face---Moses spoke face to face with Him, and He appeared between the cherubim over the ark, but He was always shielded by the wings of the cherubim. Even seeing only His back parts, Moses shone so brightly the Israelites could not stand to look at him and he had to be veiled. We are definitely not the same! Even a lizard can stand to look at us!

2. mmksparbud

+4,675
    United States
    SDA
    Widowed
    US-Others

Eph 6:1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right.

Children and parents who are saved will be together for eternity---they do not require any priest to make that happen. Husbands and wives who are saved, will be together for eternity---no priest required either. We all will be together for eternity---no priest required---except for Jesus our High Priest!

3. Phoebe Ann

Phoebe Ann From Mormonism to Christ Supporter

+8,187
    United States
    Protestant
    Widowed
    Through the grace of God that is with me.

4. BigDaddy4

BigDaddy4 Movin' on...

+1,587
    Christian
    Married
    The above is your fairy tale. It is made up, with no Biblical support whatsoever. You have been shown time and again that the Biblical Scriptures you try to use to support your argument are taken out of context and/or just don't apply to marriage.
    The truth hurts, doesn't it? Fairy tales are made up stories, which completely fits your narrative about marriage in heaven.

5. Peter1000

Peter1000 Well-Known Member

+334
    Mormon
    Married
    If we are one in nature, we are one in substance.

6. Peter1000

+334
    Mormon
    Married
    And how does the grace of God that is with you manifest itself on a daily basis?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  7. Peter1000

+334
    Mormon
    Married
    Let me approach this another way. Using a scripture in Genesis 5:
    Genesis 5:3 King James Version (KJV)
    3 And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, and after his image; and called his name Seth:

Now we have in Genesis 5:3 the exact same verbiage that is found in Genesis 1:26. The only difference is that this scripture is about Adam creating his son Seth. Seth, as you would expect, is IN ADAMS OWN LIKENESS AND AFTER ADAMS IMAGE.

Now if I had shown you this scripture before I showed you Genisis 1:26 and then asked you, does this make sense? You would have said yes.
    If I would have said, since Seth is in the image and likeness of Adam, you would expect Adam to look like and be in substance like Seth, and you would have said, I agree.

Now Genesis 1:26 says that God created Adam in His image and in His likeness, but you will not agree with me, using the same words, that God would look like and be in substance like Adam.
    The question is why not?

The answer is that you do not have a corporeal way of thinking about God as does the bible. You have been taught to think of God in an entirely different way than the bible teaches, especially in the OT.
    (God exposed His backparts to Moses). Backparts????? How could God have backparts??? Ask Moses.
    The only answer is: He is in the image and likeness of man, because He created man in His image and likeness including even His backparts.

8. Phoebe Ann

+8,187
    United States
    Protestant
    Widowed

What is the point of asking that? What has my life to do with the erroneous concept of eternal marriage?

9. Phoebe Ann

+8,187
    United States
    Protestant
    Widowed
    That rabbit trail:
    CF Rabbit tracks in snow.jpg

10. mmksparbud

+4,675
    United States
    SDA
    Widowed
    US-Others
    Nature is not substance! My best friend and I, since I was 14, are very much alike. We are closer than she and her sister---we are not the dame substance, I'm Hispanic, she's Norwegian. For that matter--my dog and I were very similar in nature! We're defiantly not the same substance!

sub·stance
    [ˈsəbstəns]
    NOUN
    1. a particular kind of matter with uniform properties.
      "a steel tube coated with a waxy substance"
      synonyms:
      material · matter · stuff · medium · fabric
    2. the real physical matter of which a person or thing consists and which has a tangible, solid presence.
      "proteins compose much of the actual substance of the body"
      synonyms:
      solidity · body · corporeality · reality · actuality · materiality ·
      [more]

na·ture
    [ˈnāCHər]
    NOUN
    1. the phenomena of the physical world collectively, including plants, animals, the landscape, and other features and products of the earth, as opposed to humans or human creations.
      "the breathtaking beauty of nature"
      synonyms:
      the natural world · the living world · Mother Nature · creation · the world ·
      Mother Nature.
      "it is impossible to change the laws of nature"
    2. the basic or inherent features of something, especially when seen as characteristic of it.
      "helping them to realize the nature of their problems" ·
      essence · inherent/basic/essential characteristics ·
      human nature.
      "it's not in her nature to listen to advice" ·
      character · personality · disposition · temperament · temper ·

[more]

11. mmksparbud

+4,675
    United States
    SDA
    Widowed
    US-Others

Not even a child is not the exact replica of the parents. We are not a clone of God. Are you of the opinion that the angels are made in the image and likeness of God?

Psa 8:4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?
    Psa_8:5 For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour.
    Heb_2:7 Thou madest him a little lower than the angels; thou crownedst him with glory and honour, and didst set him over the works of thy hands:
    Heb_2:9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.

How can we be the same as God when we were created LOWER than the angels? Jesus became lower than the angels when He became a man.

12. Phoebe Ann

+8,187
    United States
    Protestant
    Widowed
    In Mormonism, angels are not another species to God and humans.

These are messengers of the Lord and are spoken of in the epistle to the Hebrews as “ministering spirits” (Heb. 1:14). We learn from latter-day revelation that there are two classes of heavenly beings who minister for the Lord: those who are spirits and those who have bodies of flesh and bone. Spirits are those beings who either have not yet obtained a body of flesh and bone (unembodied) or who have once had a mortal body and have died and are awaiting the Resurrection (disembodied). Ordinarily the word angel means those ministering persons who have a body of flesh and bone, being either resurrected from the dead (reembodied), or else translated, as were Enoch, Elijah, etc. (D&C 129).
    Angels

13. mmksparbud

+4,675
    United States
    SDA
    Widowed
    US-Others
    But it clearly says we are lower than the angels---that is a different "kind" from us. Some have 2 wings, some have 4 wings, and others 6.

14. Phoebe Ann

+8,187
    United States
    Protestant
    Widowed
    Mormons teach that our status depends on our obedience. Mormons also don't depict any angels with wings.
    Mormon symbol angel moroni.jpg

I know that Mormon teachings don't make sense; Jesus was 100% obedient. And in order to become a God it was once taught that you need an exalted body of flesh and bones which the Holy Spirit doesn't have.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  15. Phoebe Ann

+8,187
    United States
    Protestant
    Widowed
    Cherubim
    Figures representing heavenly creatures, the exact form being unknown. They are found in the Holy of Holies, on the Mercy Seat of the Ark (Ex. 25:18, 22; 1 Kgs. 6:23–28; Heb. 9:5), and in the visions of Ezekiel (Ezek. 10; 11:22). In the account of the Fall, cherubim are represented as keeping “the way of the tree of life” (Gen. 3:24).
    Cherubim

16. mmksparbud

+4,675
    United States
    SDA
    Widowed
    US-Others
    No they don't. Seraphim are the ones with 6 wings. Cherubim are also described with 4 faces, 4 wings. Lucifer was a covering cherub, and so is Gabriel. Definitely not our kind!

17. Peter1000

+334
    Mormon
    Married
    "Nature" encompasses all of what you are.

The "nature" of God, is what we think God is made up of. You think His "nature" is divine and that His form is spirit.

I think His "nature" is divine, and that His form is resurrected flesh and bone and spirit like unto a man.

You and your friend have the same "nature" too. You are both mortal, but have a spark of divinity in you, and your forms are flesh and blood and bone and spirit.

So you are making my case.

18. Peter1000

+334
    Mormon
    Married
    The scriptures do not say that angels are made in the image of God. But it does say that we mortals are made in the image and likenss of God. Big difference. Did you think the Genesis 5 scripture was interesting as the verbiage was the same as Genesis 1:26, so that God made Adam in His image and likeness, just as Adam made Seth in his image and likenss. At least that should give you pause to consider what I am saying.

Since we know what Adam and Seth looked like, and what they are made of, we should now know what God and Adam look like, and what they are made of too. Pause and take some time to think and pray about this.

Again you bring up scriptures that tell us that Jesus was MADE...... Is Jesus a creature too?

19. Peter1000

+334
    Mormon
    Married
    Are all cherubim alike?

20. Peter1000

+334
    Mormon
    Married
    If you think you are going to heaven with a lack of obedience, think again. Obedience is the centerpiece of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Every page of the bible teaches us to be obedient. If you will not be obedient to what Jesus wants you to do, you will not be with him for EL.

Angels with wings were depicted as a way to provide mobility. There are angels with wings. But so far, the angels sent to men from God have not had wings. We know that because the men that saw them have not mentioned wings.

It is still taught that in order to become a God, you need an exalted body of flesh and bone and spirit.

The Holy Spirit will in time have a body of flesh and bone and spirit just like the other 2 members of the Godhead.