Kimberling City
✟7,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am researching repentance in the New Testament. I came across a technical reference to an exposition on Matthew 21:32 that is particularly interesting for my study. But, I don’t know enough to find the source—even with the help of the website publisher! Can you help!?!

Here is the pertinent text from the technical notes: “Following this line Burton translates the clause "did not repent afterward, so as to believe in him." Both McNeile and Hagner follow Moulton, M.I, and take the construction here as epexegetic, "providing the content of the preceding verb." Burton's translation is probably closer to Matthew's intent.”

I think he may be referring to Ernest De Witt Burton.

The link to the technical notes: The gospel of Matthew 21:23-32

The text in question—quoted above—is at the very bottom of these technical notes.

When I inquired about the source I got this reply: “Yes, #398, p157. Sorry, Gk. Bib. is under abbreviations, no clear link.”

What is #398? Does this refer to the Greek Bible in some way? A writing by Mr. Burton? Something else?

Thanks,
Sean Gunn

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟718,686.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am researching repentance in the New Testament. I came across a technical reference to an exposition on Matthew 21:32 that is particularly interesting for my study. But, I don’t know enough to find the source—even with the help of the website publisher! Can you help!?!

Here is the pertinent text from the technical notes: “Following this line Burton translates the clause "did not repent afterward, so as to believe in him." Both McNeile and Hagner follow Moulton, M.I, and take the construction here as epexegetic, "providing the content of the preceding verb." Burton's translation is probably closer to Matthew's intent.”

I think he may be referring to Ernest De Witt Burton.

The link to the technical notes: The gospel of Matthew 21:23-32

The text in question—quoted above—is at the very bottom of these technical notes.

When I inquired about the source I got this reply: “Yes, #398, p157. Sorry, Gk. Bib. is under abbreviations, no clear link.”

What is #398? Does this refer to the Greek Bible in some way? A writing by Mr. Burton? Something else?

Thanks,
Sean Gunn

Not sure ... but here is a link where you can supposedly contact a person about the site

Bryan Findlayson

Upvote 0

GodsGlorified

May 31, 2020
Kimberling City
✟7,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not sure ... but here is a link where you can supposedly contact a person about the site

Bryan Findlayson

Yes, that is who I got the listed reply from in email that I don’t understand: “Yes, #398, p157. Sorry, Gk. Bib. is under abbreviations, no clear link.”

Here is the content of the email I sent to him:

“Mr. Findlayson,

I am trying to conduct an in-depth study on repentance in the New Testament. In your page of technical notes you reference ’Burton’ at the bottom. Here is the link:

The gospel of Matthew 21:23-32

Is this Ernest De Witt Burton? In any event, can you refer me to the book or other work to which you are referring?

Thanks!
Sean Gunn”

Upvote 0

GodsGlorified

May 31, 2020
Kimberling City
✟7,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Nevermind about the source, I found that it is a reference to an entry on page 157 of ‘Syntax of the Moods and Tenses in New Testament Greek’ by Ernest De Witt Burton.

I will still have to study about language to understand it well; but, this might make the end of this verse imply something quite different.

“...and believe him.” (NIV) is very different from “...that you might believe him.” (WEB)

Matthew 21:32 - Bible Gateway

Thanks!

Upvote 0