catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have googled a bit. Some say it is a late interpretation that a city gate was called eye of the needle. Do you know anything about this?
"late" as in what meaning? It means something or another, and in every case would seem to suggest a very difficult thing we could not accomplish on our own. But, as you hear Christ say to us, "With God all things are possible".

For instance --

25 When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and asked, “Who then can be saved?”

26 Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

So, we get the straightforward real meaning: we cannot do it for ourselves without God, but God can accomplish it in us, even the "impossible" or "difficult" or "hard".

In other words, what is "impossible" God can do.

Reactions: zoidar
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus doesn't only say it's hard for the rich, but "impossible".

There's another aspect that is apparent now. People don't always use the word "impossible" in an identical way. :)

It seems we may have been thinking of it the same way but with different wordings--

People do often say that what is very difficult (or near impossible) is "impossible" (because one just couldn't do it, not even with great effort and determination and skill).

But!, there is a whole different sense of the word "impossible" which I tend to assume (from my own physics background), the way I use it.

I tend to use "impossible" as meaning physically not possible -- breaking the laws of physics. Example: snap your fingers and make the moon cease to exist.

But...notice: the way I use the word impossible would then make me say --

"A person could flip a normal quarter 20 times and have it land on it's edge and balance on its edge 20 times in a row -- it's very unlikely, but it is possible."

But someone else could say: "That's impossible", and they would be right.

They would be using the word "impossible" in a perfectly meaningful and reasonable way that many people do.

So, 2 people addressing the same thing with the same point of view (!), yet one saying "possible" and the other saying "impossible" and both are correct, but merely using the word differently! :)

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Wasn’t Saul rich?
Stick with Scripture.

Going outside Scripture and believing other things , other directions, starts in error and ends in worse error and loss of the joy of reading Scripture and loss of the joy of fellowship with God Daily.

Upvote 0

Cross Over the Lake

Jan 12, 2020
Lake Havasu City
✟17,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Republican
Stick with Scripture.

Going outside Scripture and believing other things , other directions, starts in error and ends in worse error and loss of the joy of reading Scripture and loss of the joy of fellowship with God Daily.

Okay putting that aside, wasn’t Saul wealthy??

• Haha
Reactions: zoidar
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Okay putting that aside, wasn’t Saul wealthy??
Again, go back to Scripture.
What did Jesus Himself tell those who wanted to be His permanent disciples what they would have to do ?

Also, Jesus Himself warned them that if they later started accumulating money or things, that the LOVE that Jesus said they already had/have for Him in their heart would depart from them. No one can serve two masters. (i.e. no, it was not possible for Saul to be a permanent disciple of Jesus if he had kept (or even later started to gather more) any wealth that he had had, same as the other Apostles and disciples)

Sticking with Scripture is rare.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
My rational sense and financial acumen tells me all believers can’t be poor or average for that matter. You need some excess in the pot to address the lack and create provisions.

God has and will continue to bring wealthy people in the fold. And provide others with the tools to obtain wealth for His purposes. For all things come from Him and belong to Him.

~Bella

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
My rational sense and financial acumen tells me all believers can’t be poor or average for that matter. You need some excess in the pot to address the lack and create provisions.

God has and will continue to bring wealthy people in the fold. And provide others with the tools to obtain wealth for His purposes. For all things come from Him and belong to Him.

~Bella
No.
Again, and always, stick with Scripture, not error.
The answer is in ACTS, the first three to five chapters. summary: NO ONE (with a circumcised heart) called anything their own.

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,054.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

~Bella

Do you believe God will make us financially wealthy? Then you need to rethink this.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
No.
Again, and always, stick with Scripture, not error.
The answer is in ACTS, the first three to five chapters. summary: NO ONE (with a circumcised heart) called anything their own.

My post clearly states everything belongs to God.

~Bella

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
There seems to be mixed messages, some in line with Scripture, some not.

I’m very intentional when I write. I meant to convey the thought in that fashion. When I want to wrap an idea around scripture I will.

The point is. Some are rich. Some are poor. Some are comfortable. Our means are diverse much like our gifts and talents.

~Bella

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I must be a charismatic because I think God wants me be to be wealthy, financially and spiritually.

I don’t believe God desires me to be wealthy because I believe it or claim it for myself. He provided me with qualities society values and compensates very well. However, the purpose for its acquisition and use must hail from Him.

I feel true wealth is more akin to holism in the sense of its comprehensiveness. For me, that includes physical, mental, spiritual, emotional, sexual, and financial health. I look for prosperity on all levels. That’s true abundance in my mind.

~Bella

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,054.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I’m very intentional when I write. I meant to convey the thought in that fashion. When I want to wrap an idea around scripture I will.

The point is. Some are rich. Some are poor. Some are comfortable. Our means are diverse much like our gifts and talents.

~Bella

There is no shame in being wealthy, but we are to use our wealth for the Kingdom of God.

Upvote 0