Alabama
✟24,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
16 Now behold, one came and said to Him, “Good Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?”

Someone is coming up and asking Jesus Christ -> Saying Good teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life.

Look at what is being said here; The first thing said is Good teacher.

The second is, what good thing shall I do.

That I may have eternal life. -> So the focus here is on the self, what good thing shall I do
That I may have eternal life.​

17 So He said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.”

The first thing Jesus Christ responds to this question is this.

Why do you call Me good ? (Talking about the fleshly nature of of Jesus Christ - Jesus Christ speaking as himself the Son of God, the Messiah)

No one in their (flesh) is good -> However there is One that is, good, that is God. (Spiritual)

The second response to it is. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.

He is telling this person if they desire to enter life keep the commandments.​

18 He said to Him, “Which ones?”

Jesus said, “‘You shall not murder,’ ‘You shall not commit adultery,’ ‘You shall not steal,’ ‘You shall not bear false witness,’ 19 ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ ”

Jesus Christ talks about the Law of Moses here, and all of these are able to be done by the Spirit of Christ/Holy spirit of God with-in you as a believer today.

A believer today, will not have the character of someone who trys to murder others, or try to get in with his best friends wife, nor steal or defraud a neighbor, or lie and tell you something falsely, especially by the Spirit because there is no law when you are living by the spirit, you naturally do these things because of your relationship with God and the Lord Jesus Christ.​

20 The young man said to Him, “All these things I have kept from my youth. What do I still lack?”

The young man said to Jesus - All these things I have kept from my youth. What do I still lack. So the young man is trying to be justified that everything he has followed in his life, makes himself look good, but he askes one more question.

What do I still lack?​

21 Jesus said to him, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”

Jesus said to the young man, if you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.

Jesus Christ tells him if you want to be perfect, to sell everything he has, and give to the poor.

Now biblical literalist that desire for all the scriptures to be abided unto what is being said, have you done these things yet?

What is really being said here by Jesus Christ - > He is talking about material wealth. It would seem to me that Jesus Christ is telling this young man to stop looking unto the world, and to come to follow the Lord Jesus Christ.

Because he tells them, you will have treasure in heaven by giving to the poor -> Giving them the truth of what the Lord Jesus Christ has to offer, to follow him, and not our own ways of (What must I do to have eternal life) -

Eternal life is freely given through belief, and faith on the Lord Jesus Christ. There is nothing us humans can do, accept believe, through faith and reading and hearing the truth of the Gospel of Christ.​

22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.

When the young man heard Jesus say these things, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions on earth, but realize He told the young man that He would have treasures in heaven, if gave up looking at the earthly things, and looked towards Jesus Christ, rather than what we can do to inherit eternal life.

It is what Jesus Christ offers us freely we have to choose and accept by faith.​

23 Then Jesus said to His disciples, “Assuredly, I say to you that it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24 And again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”

Jesus Christ after the young man walked away. Jesus turned to His disciples and said,

“Assuredly, I say to you that it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24 And again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”

It is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Why? Because their focus is here of this earth and what it can do and serve them with.

Jesus said it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle -> Because a camel only needs food and water to live, -> Jesus Christ is the bread, and water which he has a never ending supply of.

The rich only have a enough to live on until it is all dried up, and there is nothing left to eat, or even drink from, along side of being dead inside because of no spiritual rebirth, only looking at the material earth, and not looking toward things in heaven which are far more superior.

So it's hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God, because they are choked out by the cares and worries of this life, and not about the eternal life which is found in Christ Jesus.​

25 When His disciples heard it, they were greatly astonished, saying, “Who then can be saved?”

When Jesus disciples heard what he had to say.

They were greatly astonished.

Saying "Who then can be saved?"​

26 But Jesus looked at them and said to them, “With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

Jesus Christ looked and told them : In the earthly sense with men it is impossible to be saved, even that of following traditions, and human wisdom it is not going to be possible at all.

But with God through and by the heavenly things opposed to the earthly things -> All things are possible with God -> by and through the spirit.​

27 Then Peter answered and said to Him, “See, we have left all and followed You. Therefore what shall we have?”

Peter answered and said to Jesus.

See we have left all and followed you -> Peter is saying we have left everything behind and followed you -> a picture of leaving everything for Christ -> which what was explained to the young man who came and asked what must he do to to inherit eternal life.

Then Peter asked, What shall we have because -> We left everything to follow you.​

28 So Jesus said to them, “Assuredly I say to you, that in the regeneration, when the Son of Man sits on the throne of His glory, you who have followed Me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

Now Jesus is fixing to tell his disciples something profound.

I say to you, that in the regeneration, when the Son of Man sits on the throne of His glory, you who have followed me (His disciples) will also sit on the twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.​

29 And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or lands, for My name’s sake, shall receive a hundredfold, and inherit eternal life. 30 But many who are first will be last, and the last first.

Jesus goes on to say -> To his disciples at that time -> And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or lands, for My name’s sake, shall receive a hundredfold, and inherit eternal life.

Jesus expresses the nature of doing things in His name sake -> Which is explained when we are told to Love God, and to Love others as ourselves. They shall receive in more believers and inherit eternal life.

Remember this is being said to his disciples -> Not us today. He is answering Peters question about What shall we have because we have followed you.

Today as believers -> (Not these disciples here with him) -> We receive eternal life by having faith, and trust in God and the Lord Jesus Christ -> In a continued relationship through prayer, and worshipping in spirit and in truth. Having love for God and Love for Others.
But many who are first will be last, and the last first.

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,528.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
29 And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or lands, for My name’s sake, shall receive a hundredfold, and inherit eternal life. 30 But many who are first will be last, and the last first.

Jesus goes on to say -> To his disciples at that time -> And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or lands, for My name’s sake, shall receive a hundredfold, and inherit eternal life.

Why do you conclude that this promise can not apply to those who follow Jesus today?

Upvote 0

AubreyM

Mar 22, 2021
Alabama
✟24,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello Carl,

Because of the Context.

Jesus Christ is answering a question that is being asked by Peter - What shall we receive then? (Matthew 19:27-30)

Jesus Christ continues onward answering this question towards all the disciples what they will receive for leaving behind everything to follow Him.

Now you may see things differently.

Still have made the case that for believers today -> Jesus Christ offers unto us eternal life as well. Which is walking with God and the Lord Jesus Christ by the spirit, and in relationship with them through faith and trust in what the Gospel has presented us about the truth of the Lord Jesus Christ who came died, and was risen again.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,528.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello Carl,

Because of the Context.

Jesus Christ is answering a question that is being asked by Peter - What shall we receive then? (Matthew 19:27-30)

Jesus Christ continues onward answering this question towards all the disciples what they will receive for leaving behind everything to follow Him.

Now you may see things differently.

Still have made the case that for believers today -> Jesus Christ offers unto us eternal life as well. Which is walking with God and the Lord Jesus Christ by the spirit, and in relationship with them through faith and trust in what the Gospel has presented us about the truth of the Lord Jesus Christ who came died, and was risen again.

Yes... I understand where you are coming from...

The issue is that I am seeing that promise fulfilled in my life - you can read my testimony thread here...

Does God not have the prerogative to raise up as He wills?

Yes He was speaking to 'the disciples' - what about the true disciples today?

• Friendly
Reactions: AubreyM
Upvote 0

AubreyM

Mar 22, 2021
Alabama
✟24,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello Carl,

That is a subjective question.

You believe as you need to, my only purpose is to bring forth the context and what is said.

You may see things different than me. That is okay.

So you have to answer the question for yourself, which is between you and God, sir.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,528.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You have called my contribution subjective - what do you mean by that?

The implication is that God cant speak through scripture except by way of your contextual offering.

Anything else is not of the Spirit of God - is that your position?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AubreyM

Mar 22, 2021
Alabama
✟24,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello Carl,

Why do you keep asking over and over again?

What is that you desire for me to tell you, that scripture in context is not already telling you?

Are you desiring confirmation that what Jesus Christ is saying to his disciples is extended for you as well? (In this one small instance?)

I can’t and I won’t.

Will teach the Bible by the spirit and with my best over all honest assessment through asking and prayerfully trying to understand what is being read, along with what is noted.

Maybe I am wrong on things, don’t take my word for it, please - Go to God and ask Him to help you understand by the spirit that given to us through belief and faith, and go read and see what the context of scripture is.

Never believe anything I have to say, always Go to God ask Him to Help you by the Spirit.

I am just a man; don’t trust me. Please put your trust in God and the Lord Jesus Christ who give us the spirit which teaches all truth, is the spirit of truth, and the comforter, that lives inside of believers in the faith of the Lord Jesus Christ as per what scripture teaches.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,528.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello Carl,

Why do you keep asking over and over again?

What is that you desire for me to tell you, that scripture in context is not already telling you?

Are you desiring confirmation that what Jesus Christ is saying to his disciples is extended for you as well? (In this one small instance?)

I can’t and I won’t.

Will teach the Bible by the spirit and with my best over all honest assessment through asking and prayerfully trying to understand what is being read, along with what is noted.

Maybe I am wrong on things, don’t take my word for it, please - Go to God and ask Him to help you understand by the spirit that given to us through belief and faith, and go read and see what the context of scripture is.

Never believe anything I have to say, always Go to God ask Him to Help you by the Spirit.

I am just a man; don’t trust me. Please put your trust in God and the Lord Jesus Christ who give us the spirit which teaches all truth, is the spirit of truth, and the comforter, that lives inside of believers in the faith of the Lord Jesus Christ as per what scripture teaches.

I am trying to encourage you to discuss a little.

Is your position that God is not speaking to believers personally in this age except through correctly taught scripture ?

No I am not asking for you to confirm anything.

It seems however that anything outside of what you are presenting is being judged as 'subjective' and not of God's Word.

Is the Holy Spirit within us silent unless we are meditating on the written Word?

And how about the Words delivered to Israel by the Prophets like say Jer 29:11

Can God not speak this word to a believer today because it was delivered to Israel?

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: AubreyM
Upvote 0

AubreyM

Mar 22, 2021
Alabama
✟24,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am trying to encourage you to discuss a little.

Is your position that God is not speaking to believers personally in this age except through correctly taught scripture ?

No I am not asking for you to confirm anything.

It seems however that anything outside of what you are presenting is being judged as 'subjective' and not of God's Word.

Is the Holy Spirit within us silent unless we are meditating on the written Word?

And how about the Words delivered to Israel by the Prophets like say Jer 29:11

Can God not speak this word to a believer today because it was delivered to Israel?

Hello Carl,

Thank you for fixing the link to your testimony.

My background is that what you desire to know about me?

Believe that the word of God is a wonderful gift and reference tool to go and read, and learn about the History of Creation, God, The Lord Jesus Christ, Nation of Israel, Promises of God to believers, and things like this. Believe the bible is infallible in the concept that when read in its context and presented correctly, it will not let you down. Because of the truth of God, and the Lord Jesus Christ can be found inside of it.

Now totally believe in freedom, and letting others have freedom by the Spirit to look at and read the scriptures and them go to God and ask him to help them understand what is being said and what does these things mean and they can be lead by the spirit and come to a conclusion.

Believe that People should have a relationship with God, and the Lord Jesus Christ and that a person is accountable only to God and the Lord Jesus Christ alone and not accountable when it comes to others, and how they may decide to walk with God, or how they may see scriptures.

Believe have been opened up enough with you to tell you that, from context, the promise was made for the disciples because that is who Christ Jesus is talking to. He does not seem to be talking to me.

So overall, not sure why you are asking all these questions to me, but hopefully this help you understand my position.

Which is God is real, the Lord Jesus Christ is truth, and the holy spirit does exist.

People have their own relationship with God, and do not believe in trying to mandate anything over someone else, and instead let them be the judge of their own selves and encourage them to and seek God for answers.

Going to God is far better than me myself, for am a human, and trying to learn from humans can be helpful, but sometimes it can not be so helpful, so that is why it is said to Go to God ask him these questions, and may he open your heart, and lead you the truth on those matters in your question.

What are you believing about these things? Are they true? Are they not true? Is the promise for you? Is the promise for them?

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,528.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey Aubrey,

I really appreciate your opening up and sharing your convictions.

I agree with much of what you say.

When you say "Believe that People should have a relationship with God, and the Lord Jesus Christ and that a person is accountable only to God and the Lord Jesus Christ alone and not accountable when it comes to others, and how they may decide to walk with God, or how they may see scriptures...."

How do you think this position relates to the requirement of Eph 5:21? Are you in a fellowship with some mature elders you can trust?

I think God by His Spirit can quicken a promise for Israel to a believer from His Word today - after all Paul says all believers are descended spiritually from Abraham the Father of all who have faith and these are Israel... After all we are children of the promise...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AubreyM

Mar 22, 2021
Alabama
✟24,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Carl with best regards,

Glad to be able to share with you a bit more.

My viewpoint comes from seeing scripture has been fulfilled in every way, this viewpoint changes the whole perspective of the way a person will look and view the bible and the contents provided in it.

So that scripture that talks about -> Elders -> that day in age is over with in my view. Do not believe there is a need to go any Elder to seek advice. The scriptures teach, and the holy spirit is our teacher that reminds us of all things we learned about from Jesus Christ.

You can go and seek advice from God, and ask Him to teach you what is true, and the Lord Jesus Christ is the truth, the way, and the life.

-Though in addition to contradict myself : You can seek advice from any fellow Christian and see what they may have to say, but also question if what they are saying is valid or true or not, and if it applies now in your life today by what they have said.

You can try to swoon in any thing you desire from scripture to be also for you today but my question is did you listen to Jesus when it is told His disciples?

Did you do everything Jesus Christ told that rich young ruler? Did you give up your house, your internet bill, your car, your job, and leave it all to go follow Christ Jesus?

These are just general real questions to anyone who takes the bible as it must be followed literally and it is applicable today in this world with all of its contents.

Cause if a person is going to take things literally in what the bible says, they should be doing everything in that bible that Jesus Christ had ever said.

It will always be about Faith, love for God, and Love for others at the end of the day.

If you believe what Jesus Christ is telling his disciples in this chapter Matthew 19:16-30 is talking to you, that is all cool. If you believe you need to go an seek advice from elders, that is cool as well too. (That will fall in-between you and God on what you do about those things)

Really hopes this helps you see where I am coming from.

Thank you Carl, and take care.

Last edited:
Upvote 0