Matthew 13-20

K

kristina411

I'm Matthew, chapter 16, verses 13-20, Jesus asks the disciples who the men say He is. After their response Jesus asks the disciples who they think He is and Peter answers "You are the Christ, the son of the living God." To which Jesus responds: "Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven. And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it. And I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."
This is a pretty strong point for the catholic church is it not? I'm not catholic but I'm just wondering what all of you take this to mean? Just three verses later Jesus turns to Peter and says "Get behind Me Satan! You are an offense to Me, for you are not mindful of the things of God, but the things of men."
Now what he said there^ was in response to Peter saying "Not You!" When Jesus was telling them of the things to come with his capture and crucifixion.

I don't really know what I think about this yet. I've read it a few times before with not much attention to it. Now that I am noticing, I'm a bit confused lol. Any ideas or opinions?

dragongunner

Jul 30, 2012
Indiana
✟9,568.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The Rock is believed by some to be Peter. I don't believe that, the Rock I believe Jesus was referring to was the 'revelation of who he (Jesus) was'. Flesh and blood does not reveal it, sad that some may take flesh and blood (Peter) and try and build. Later we see Peter bring the salvation message and opening the door to us Gentiles when God came to him in a dream.
Yes one minute Peter was in good standing, and then Jesus calls him "Satan get behind me." Just like one minute we can be in good standing also, but what if we go against the word of God in our lives….? Like Peter we separate ourselves in that moment. It was the will of God for Christ to go to the Cross, Peter wanted to stop that, that was against the will of God and separated him. God has no respect of persons.

Upvote 0
K

kristina411

The Rock is believed by some to be Peter. I don't believe that, the Rock I believe Jesus was referring to was the 'revelation of who he (Jesus) was'. Flesh and blood does not reveal it, sad that some may take flesh and blood (Peter) and try and build. Later we see Peter bring the salvation message and opening the door to us Gentiles when God came to him in a dream.
Yes one minute Peter was in good standing, and then Jesus calls him "Satan get behind me." Just like one minute we can be in good standing also, but what if we go against the word of God in our lives….? Like Peter we separate ourselves in that moment. It was the will of God for Christ to go to the Cross, Peter wanted to stop that, that was against the will of God and separated him. God has no respect of persons.

That makes a lot of sense, I just wonder though, what of the part where He says "And I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth should be loosed in heaven."?
I honestly am curious. I don't believe things such as praying to saints, purgatory, etc that the church has said and done that I have not see coincide with the Bible so I'm trying to figure this out :)

Upvote 0
K

kristina411

I see the verse repeated in Matthew 18:18 but talking to someone else and not Peter specifically so I wonder if he is referring to something else. 18:18 he says (when talking about disagreements with brothers and having witnesses... I haven't gotten that far in dissecting Matthew to understand the scenario yet) "Assuredly I say to you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."
So maybe it is a metaphor I some way instead of literal, makes more sense that way.

Upvote 0

Andry

Jedi Master
Supporter
Jan 13, 2004
Left Coast, Canada
✟67,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes we have a tendency to over-spiritualize things, when the truth is much simpler and obvious.

The rock was a literal rock that Jesus and his disciples were standing on.

If you studied the context of those passage, you'll quickly discover that they were in Caesarea Philipi. It was well-known at the time that the city was not dissimilar to Las Vegas today in its debauchery, laciviousness, and immorality. The locals worshipped the Pan God, or goat god, and near the rock where they stood was a hole in the ground or cavern wherby it was believed this was the place where the living and the dead passed through, and you guessed it, it was called the gates of hades - or in our lingo, the gates of hell.

So, what Jesus meant was that no matter where they were, or where we are, we can establish this thing that Jesus was creating - a group of people called together - anywhere in the world, at any time, and nothing could stop it from growing - no evil, no devil or demons.

Upvote 0

SistrNChrist

Aug 17, 2006
NYC
✟30,387.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
acttr
acttr
This is just my understanding, so don't take it as truth. When Jesus said the words in Matthew 18:18, I think he was referring to the fact that he had given all those who would follow him, not just Peter, the authority to rebuke any attacks by Satan and his followers. So Jesus wasn't giving Peter any special powers that the other 11 apostles would not also receive, contrary to what the Roman Catholic church teaches.

Upvote 0

JLR1300

Dec 16, 2012
Oklahoma
✟8,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The answer to the whole thing lies in the fact that when Jesus said You are Peter... in the Greek the word for Peter means little stone. Then Jesus said "upon this rock... now the Greek word for rock here means massive rock... So when Peter said "you are the Christ " Jesus responded by saying ...you are a little stone... on this massive rock (the declaration that I am the Christ) I will build my Church.

Jesus doesn't build his Church on the little stone of Peter.... He builds His Church on the massive rock of the Belief that He is not just a man but the Christ, the Son of God.

Upvote 0

Bramwell

Oct 24, 2012
✟8,411.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi Kristina,

I would say that the true universal church which Christ came to establish is not limited to a specific organization, unlike with the Roman Catholic church. I do agree that the passage quoted does support the notion of Jesus giving special authority to Peter to lead and shepherd His followers. But it's a bit of a jump from that to concluding that the Roman Catholic institution is the one true church which Christ came to establish.

In 1 Peter 2:7-8, Jesus talks about a chief cornerstone which the builders have rejected. I believe this refers to the teachings of Jesus.

To the extent to which the Catholic church promotes the life and teachings of Jesus, they are a 'true' church. But where they deviate from those teachings in preference to doctrines of man, the Catholic church becomes simply apostate.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums