• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Mattell makes Wiccan Barbie - Is this right?

Discussion in 'News & Current Events (Articles Required)' started by MrsMom, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Brother Christman

Brother Christman Constitution Party->11.04

+4
    Baptist
    My primary beef with Barney is his annoying voice. Granted, his purple color feels a little gender-neutral creepy, but that bothers me only marginally in comparison to his Goofy-wanna-be speaking tones.

Watch the flaming and personal attacks, all right? [noflame] Thank you. :)

2. Inspired

Inspired only hurts when I breathe

+193
    Christian
    Single
    Where are the Christian toy-makers?

3. Mylinkay Asdara

Mylinkay Asdara Voice of Li'Adan

+54
    Pagan
    Who revived this topic? It was ridiculous when it was posted and now it's suddenly back...

4. Lillithspeak

Lillithspeak The Umbrella

+114
    Private
    US-Others
    :cry: Oh yes, I end my days with: What would Sweetkitty want me to do? :bow: Not in this lifetime.

5. Lillithspeak

Lillithspeak The Umbrella

+114
    Private
    US-Others

6. SqueezetheShaman

SqueezetheShaman Well-Known Member

+121
    Agnostic
    oops apparently I have to spread it around before giving it to you some more :D

7. ThePhoenix

ThePhoenix Well-Known Member

+103
    Christian
    Christian toys probably resemble christian computer games... they shouldn't exist. And this is coming from a christian. Most of it is an insult to my faith. At least the secular stuff doesn't pretend.

8. Haethurn

Haethurn Member

+5
    Christian
    Jesus wouldn't want us to do anything about it because he knows that human beings are flawed and can't solve "problems" like this without causing further problems.

9. Haethurn

Haethurn Member

+5
    Christian
    It looks like we have another follower of Socrates. We must censor the poets so that their verses won't disrupt our children's conditioning. It is crucial if we are to breed the perfect soldier for our Republic, that we must not let the children hear anything contrary to what we would like them to hear. We must mold these young minds. The future of our Republic depends on it!

The Wiccan barbie doll would set their conditioning back by several months! Think of all of that time we'd waste!

You know also that the beginning is the most important part of any work, especially in the case of a young and tender thing; for that is the time at which the character is being formed and the desired impression is more readily taken.
    Quite True.
    And shall we just carelessly allow children to hear any casual tales which may be devised by casual persons, and to receive into their minds ideas for the most part the very opposite of those which we should wish them to have when they are grown up?
    We can not.
    Then the first thing will be to establish a censorship of the writers of fiction, and let the censors receive any tale of fiction which is good, and reject the bad; and we will desire mothers and nurses to tell their children the authorized ones only. Let them fashion the mind with such tales, even more fondly than they mould the body with their hands; but most of those which are now in use must be discarded.

Such then, I said, are our principles of theology-some tales are to be told, and others are not to be told to our disciples from their youth upwards, if we mean them to honor the gods and their parents, and to value friendship with one another.
    Yes; and I think that our principles are right, he said.
    But if they are to be courageous, must they not learn other lessons besides these, and lessons of such a kind as will take away the fear of death? Can any man be courageous who has the fear of death in him?
    Certainly not, he said.
    And can he be fearless of death, or will he choose death in battle rather than defeat and slavery, who believes the world below to be real and terrible?
    Impossible.

Then we must assume a control over the narrators of this class of tales as well as over the others, and beg them not simply to revile, but rather to commend the world below, intimating to them that their descriptions are untrue, and will do harm to our future warriors.
    That will be our duty, he said.
    Then, I said, we shall have to obliterate many obnoxious passages, beginning with the verses,

"I would rather be a serf on the land of a poor and portionless man than rule over all the dead who have come to nought."

And shall we proceed to get rid of the weepings and wailings of famous men?
    They will go with the rest.

Neither ought our guardians to be given to laughter. For a fit of laughter which has been indulged to excess almost always produces a violent reaction.
    So I believe.

Then if any one at all is to have the privilege of lying, the rulers of the State should be the persons; and they, in their dealings either with enemies or with their own citizens, may be allowed to lie for the public good. But nobody else should meddle with anything of the kind; and although the rulers have this privilege, for a private man to lie to them in return is to be deemed a more heinous fault than for the patient or the pupil of a gymnasium not to speak the truth about his own bodily illnesses to the physician or to the trainer, or for a sailor not to tell the captain what is happening about the ship and the rest of the crew, and how things are going with himself or his fellow sailors.
    Most true, he said.
    If, then, the ruler catches anybody beside himself lying in the State,

"Any of the craftsmen, whether he be priest or physician or carpenter."

he will punish him for introducing a practice which is equally subversive and destructive of ship or State.

-Plato's The Republic-INSPIRATION FOR HITLER.

If you want to be a good parent, you would do well to foster INDIVIDUALITY in your child, instead of molding her in your own image.

10. STARRDUST1480

STARRDUST1480 New Member

+0
    Other Religion
    I'm sorry I just can't believe that you guys are so insulted by the fact that people have different cultures. I'm not trying to stir up trouble or anything. It's just that Wicca promotes accepting other people for their beliefs, but yet you can't find in yourselves to do the same. You should try learn a little bit about Wicca before your start judging. But it's things like this that make the younger generations steer away from christianity. I don't think it's a bad idea to have little girls learning something other than the norm. Wicca is all about doing good for other people. There is nothing evil about it. I like to see that Wicca is finally making it into the mainstream.

Not trying to get you riled up just trying to get you to think.

11. OfficeBoss

OfficeBoss Guest

+0
    Does the zealotry and mindless fear ever stop?

12. SallyNow

SallyNow Blame it on the SOCK GNOMES!

+842
    Christian
    Private
    I don't see those who make Barbie parodies as deviants. I see them as taking a silly doll that has become and icon and making some interesting (and funny) statements about it.

I don't see anything really immoral here (except perhaps that they sell products for children made by children in awful conditions: http://www.just-style.com/article.aspx?art=37751&type=1 , warning, PDF file and long)

Little kids use their imagination, and this an important part of a child's development. Parents often use this to their advantage. The secret life of the Tooth Fairy, anyone?

I'm not a huge fan of Barbie...but making some silly "magical" doll isn't high up on the "reasons I dislike Barbie dolls for young kids" list.

13. OfficeBoss

OfficeBoss Guest

+0
    I would guess she thinks that being non christian is immoral and deviant.

14. I <3 Abraham

I <3 Abraham Go Cubbies!

+189
    United Ch. of Christ
    I've been very surprised since starting posting at CF at the number of people who believe that magic is real. IME most of these people think that it is dangerous and evil, I dont get it.

15. Petunia

Petunia Senior Veteran Supporter

+303
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Speaking of open mindedness and mindlessness, you do know you've re-opened a thread that's nearly three years old, doncha? This isn't news or current events.

16. I <3 Abraham

I <3 Abraham Go Cubbies!

+189
    United Ch. of Christ
    :D:D:D

THATS why there are so many views!

17. DhaliClone

DhaliClone Well-Known Member

+153
    Christian
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    I don't get why people think they have to "do" anything about stuff they disagree with.

If you don't like something, then don't get involved with it, end of story. It saves you, other people, and the government lots of time and money.

18. OfficeBoss

OfficeBoss Guest

+0
    Wrong!
    I wasnt the one who bumped it.

19. OfficeBoss

OfficeBoss Guest

+0
    Im not really suprised. Religious people believe in magic and the supernatural by default pretty much.

20. I <3 Abraham

I <3 Abraham Go Cubbies!

+189
    United Ch. of Christ
    Not really...All but one of my friends in neurobiology PhD programs are religious.

On the Christian tip, Paul Tillich and Spong dude.