Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
First, the verses:

Matthew 3:
1 In those days, John the Baptizer came, preaching in the wilderness of Judea, saying, 2 "Repent, for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand!"
11 I indeed baptize you in water for repentance, but he who comes after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you in the Holy Spirit. 12His winnowing fork is in his hand, and he will thoroughly cleanse his threshing floor. He will gather his wheat into the barn, but the chaff he will burn up with unquenchable fire."

7 Yet seeing many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming upon his baptism, he said to them,
Offsprings<1081> of vipers<2191>! Who intimates<5263> to ye to be fleeing from the being about<3195> wrath?

8Therefore bring forth fruit worthy of repentance! 9Don't think to yourselves, 'We have Abraham for our father,' for I tell you that God is able to raise up children to Abraham from these stones. 10"Even now the axe lies at the root of the trees. Therefore, every tree that doesn't bring forth good fruit is cut down, and cast into the fire.
================

Luke 3:
2in the high priesthood of Annas and Caiaphas, the word of God came to John, the son of Zacharias, in the wilderness. 3He came into all the region around the Jordan, preaching the baptism of repentance for remission of sins.
4As it is written in the book of the words of Isaiah the prophet, "The voice of one crying in the wilderness, 'Make ready the way of the Lord. Make his paths straight.
5Every valley will be filled. Every mountain and hill will be brought low. The crooked will become straight, and the rough ways smooth.
6All flesh will see God's salvation.'"

7 Then he said to the throngs going out to be baptized by him,
Offsprings of vipers! Who intimates to ye to be fleeing from the being about wrath?

===================
Matthew 12:
33"Either make the tree good, and its fruit good, or make the tree corrupt, and its fruit corrupt; for the tree is known by its fruit.

34 “Offsprings of vipers! How ye are being able good to be speaking being wicked? For out of the super abundance of the heart the mouth is speaking.

35The good man out of his good treasure brings out good things, and the evil man out of his evil treasure brings out evil things. 36I tell you that every idle word that men speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment. 37For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned."
38Then certain of the scribes and Pharisees answered, "Teacher, we want to see a sign from you." 39But he answered them, "An evil and adulterous generation seeks after a sign, but no sign will be given it but the sign of Jonah the prophet.

=========================
Then this in the final verse where Jesus also calls them "Serpents"

Matthew 23:
29"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you build the tombs of the prophets, and decorate the tombs of the righteous, 30and say, 'If we had lived in the days of our fathers, we wouldn't have been partakers with them in the blood of the prophets.' 31Therefore you testify to yourselves that you are children of those who killed the prophets. 32Fill up, then, the measure of your fathers.

33Offsprings! brood of vipers!
How ye may be fleeing from the judging<2920> of the Gehenna<1067>?

34Therefore, behold, I send to you prophets, wise men, and scribes. Some of them you will kill and crucify; and some of them you will scourge in your synagogues, and persecute from city to city; 35that on you may come all the righteous blood shed on the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zachariah son of Barachiah, whom you killed between the sanctuary and the altar. 36Most certainly I tell you, all these things will come upon this generation.

=========================================
Pulpit Commentary
Verses 33-39. - Declaration of the sentence on these Pharisees and their generation.

Verse 33. - Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers; γεννήματα ἐχιδνῶν: offspring of vipers. Our Lord repeats the Baptist's denunciation (Matthew 3:7). They were of devilish nature, inherited from their very birth the disposition and character of Satan. So Christ said on another occasion, "Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father it is your will to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and stood not in the truth" (John 8:44). How can ye escape? Πῶς φύγητε; the deliberative conjunctive, How shall ye escape? Quo mode fugietis? (Vulgate). There is no emphasis on "can" in the Authorized Version. What hope is there now of your repentance? Can anything soften the hardness of your hearts? The Baptist had spoken more hopefully, "Who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?" But now the day of grace is past; the sin against the Holy Ghost is committed; there remaineth only the fearful looking for of judgment. The damnation of hell; literally, the judgment of Gehenna; judicio Gehennae (Vulgate); i.e. the sentence that condemns to eternal death (Matthew 5:22). The phrase is common in the rabbinical writings (see Lightfoot). "Before sinning, we ought to fear lest it be the filling up; after sinning, we should trust in a truly Christian hope that it is not, and repent. This is the only means to escape the damnation of hell; but how rare is this grace after a pharisaical life!" (Quesnel). Hypocrisy is a bar to repentance.

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Thanks for posting. I didn't see you ask any questions so I assume it's just to read what you've posted. Bless ya! :amen:
Hello. I just saw I had a thread on it already :idea:

Matt and Luke "Brood of Vipers"- Wrath and Gehenna

I believe these are significant and both Mat 3 and Luk 3 are writing about a coming wrath and in Matt 23, the word "Gehenna" is used.
Discuss

Strong's Concordance with Hebrew and Greek Lexicon

1081. gennema from 1080;
offspring; by analogy, produce (literally or figuratively):--fruit, generation.
G1081 matches the Greek γέννημα (gennēma),
which occurs 9 times in 9 verses

Matthew 3:7
Yet seeing many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming upon his baptism, he said to them,
Brood<1081> of vipers! Who admonishes<5263> to ye to be fleeing from the being about wrath?!

Luke 3:7
Then he said to the multitudes that came out to be baptized by him,
Brood of vipers! Who admonishes to ye to flee from the being about wrath?!

Matthew 12:34
Brood of vipers! How are ye able good to speaking being wicked? For out of the super-abundance of the heart the mouth is speaking.

What is the meaning of this word "gehenna" that Jesus is saying they are being condemned to?

Matthew 23:33
Serpents, brood of vipers! How ye may be fleeing from the condemnation/judging of the Gehenna?

=============================
This is an informative video on it:

Upvote 0