Matt 24:3 "full end/consummation of the age"

Did the consummation of the Age occured in the 1st century?

• Yes

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I am not sure right now but am willing to learn

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never thought about it

• Other

• Total voters

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
If Matthew 24:3 is talking about the full consummation of the age, where does the 1000yr period mentioned in Revelation fit in?

Strong's Concordance with Hebrew and Greek Lexicon
G4930
συντέλεια (synteleia) occurs 6 times in 6 verses
5 verses in Matthew and 1 verse in Hebrews.

Matthew 24:3
Yet of Him sitting on the Mount of the Olives, the Disciples came toward to Him according to own saying "be telling to us!
when shall these be being?
and what the sign of Thy parousia<3952> and full-end/consummation<4930> of the Age?

4930. sunteleia from 4931;
entire completion, i.e. consummation (of a dispensation):--end.
4931. sunteleo from 4862 and 5055;
to complete entirely; generally, to execute (literally or figuratively):--end, finish, fulfil, make.
4862. sun a primary preposition
denoting union; with or together (but much closer than 3326 or 3844), i.e. by association............
5055. teleo from 5056;
to end, i.e. complete, execute, conclude, discharge (a debt):--accomplish, make an end, expire, fill up, finish, go over, pay, perform.
5056. telos from a primary tello
(to set out for a definite point or goal); properly, the point aimed at as a limit, i.e. (by implication) the conclusion of an act
=======================================
Matthew 24:3 Commentaries: Biblehub

Meyer's NT Commentary
καὶ συντελ. τοῦ αἰῶνος]
In the Gospels we find no trace of the millenarian ideas of the Apocalypse.
The τοῦ αἰῶνος, with the article, but not further defined, is to be understood as referring to the existing, the then current age of the world, i.e. to the αἰὼν οὗτος, which is brought to a close (συντέλεια) with the second coming, inasmuch as, with this latter event, the αἰὼν μέλλων begins. See on Matthew 13:39. The second coming, the resurrection and the last judgment, fall upon the ἐσχάτη ἡμέρα (John 6:39; John 11:24), which, as it will be the last day of the αἰὼν οὗτος in general, so of the ἐσχάτων ἡμερῶν (Acts 2:17; 2 Timothy 3:1; Jam 5:3; Hebrews 1:2; 2 Peter 3:3) in particular, or of the καιρὸς ἔσχατος (1 Peter 1:5), or of the χρόνος ἔσχατος (Judges 1:18; 1 Peter 1:20), which John likewise calls the ἐσχάτη ὥρα (1 John 2:18). This concluding period, which terminates with the last day, is to be characterized by abounding distress and wickedness (see on Galatians 1:4). The article was unnecessary before συντελείας, seeing that it is followed by the genitive of specification; Winer, p. 118 f. [E. T. 155].
=================================
Pulpit Commentary
Sign of thy coming (τῆς σῆς παρουσίας), and of the end of the world (συντελείας τοῦ αἰῶνος).
They look upon these two events as synchronous, or very closely connected. The word parousia, which in classical Greek means "presence," or "arrival," is used in the New Testament specially for the second advent of Christ to set up his eternal kingdom in full power and glory (see in this chapter vers. 27, 37, 39; and comp. 1 Corinthians 15:23; 1 Thessalonians 2:19; 1 Thessalonians 3:13, etc.). Referring to the same event, we find in some places the term "epiphany" used (see 1 Timothy 6:14; 2 Timothy 4:1), and in others "revelation" (ἀποκάλυψις, 1 Corinthians 1:7; 2 Thessalonians 1:7); but the three expressions denote simply the open establishment of Messiah's kingdom, indefnitely as to time and manner.

The phrase translated "the end of the world "means literally the consummation of the age (cf. Matthew 13:39; Hebrews 9:26); consummationis saeculi (Vulgate); i.e. the close of this present seen, in contradistinction from the future aeon, or the world to come. This is "the last time," "the last days," spoken of elsewhere (see 1 Peter 1:5; 1 John 2:18; and comp. Isaiah 2:2; Micah 4:1).

Last edited:

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I see the 1000 year reign of Christ on Earth as a new age the begins after the end of our present age. Our present age ends with the defeat of the Antichrist and his armies and the return of Christ to earth.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I see the 1000 year reign of Christ on Earth as a new age the begins after the end of our present age. Our present age ends with the defeat of the Antichrist and his armies and the return of Christ to earth.
That would be at the battle of Armageddon in Israel.

Yet of Him sitting on the Mount of the Olives, the Disciples came toward to Him according to own saying "be telling to us! when shall these be being?
and what the sign of Thy parousia<3952> and full-end<4930> of the Age?

2 Peter 3:
10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up
12 Toward expecting and hastening the Parousia<3952> of the Day of God, thru which heavens being fired shall be being dissolved and elements burning being melted.. [Revelation 16:14-16]

James 5:8 be ye patient! also stand-fast the hearts of ye, that the Parousia <3952> of the Lord has-neared/hggiken <1448> (5758);

Revelation 16:
14 For they are spirits of demons doing signs which is going out upon the kings of whole the homed-one, to be together-assembling them into the Battle of the great Day of God the Almighty.
15 “Behold, I am coming as a thief. Blessed is he who watches, and keeps his garments, lest he walk naked and they see his shame.” [2 Peter 3:10-12]
16 And he together-assembled/leads/sun-agagein <4863> (5629) them into the Place, the being called to Hebrew Armageddwn

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yet of Him sitting on the Mount of the Olives, the Disciples came toward to Him according to own saying "be telling to us!
and what the sign of Thy parousia<3952> and full-end/consummation<4930> of the Age?
==============================
This word is used only in Matthew and Hebrews.........

G4930 συντέλεια (synteleia), occurs 6 times in 6 verses

YLT)
Mat 13:
39 and the enemy who sowed them is the devil, and the harvest is a full end of the age, and the reapers are messengers.
40 'As, then, the darnel is gathered up, and is burned with fire, so shall it be in the full end of this age,
49 so shall it be in the full end of the age, the messengers shall come forth and separate the evil out of the midst of the righteous,

Mat 24:3
And when he is sitting on the mount of the Olives, the disciples came near to him by himself, saying, 'Tell us, when shall these be? and what is the sign of thy presence, and of the full end of the age?'

Mat 28:20
teaching them to observe all, whatever I did command you,) and lo, I am with you all the days -- till the full end of the age.'

Heb 9:26

since it had behoved him many times to suffer from the foundation of the world, but now once, at the full end of the ages, for putting away of sin through his sacrifice, he hath been manifested;
=======================================
Strong's Greek: 4930
STRONGS NT 4930: συντέλεια

4930. sunteleia
a joint payment (for public service), joint action, spec. completion
Original Word: συντέλεια, ας, ἡ Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine
Transliteration: sunteleia
Definition: a joint payment (for public service), joint action, completion
Usage: a completion, consummation, end.

Cognate: 4930
syntéleia (from 4862 /sýn,
"close together with" and 5055 /teléō, "complete, consummate") – culmination (completion), i.e. when the parts come together into a whole ("consummation") – "an end involving many parts" (B. F. Westcott). See 4931 (synteléō).

4930 /syntéleia
("culminating end, finish") is not strictly "termination" but rather "consummation" (completion) that ushers in a new time-era/age (Mt 13:39,40,49,24:3, 28:20).

[The KJV is misleading by rendering 4930 (syntéleia) as "the end of the world" (i.e. when it occurs with aiōn, "age/epoch"). This expression actually means "at the "consummation of the age," i.e. when it reaches its intended climax (consummated conclusion).]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
===================
Here is Mark 13's version using #G4931

Matthew 24, Mark 13 and Luke's Temple/Jerusalem Discourses harmonized- Poll Thread

Mark 13
3 And of sitting of Him into the Mount of the Olives over against the Temple,
Peter and James and John and Andrew inquired<1905> of Him according to own
4 Tell us! when these shall be?
and what the sign whenever may be being about<3195> all these to be fully-ended/consummated< sun-teleo 4931>.

4931. sunteleo from 4862 and 5055;
to complete entirely; generally, to execute (literally or figuratively):--end, finish, fulfil, make.
5055. teleo tel-eh'-o from 5056; to end, i.e. complete, execute, conclude, discharge (a debt):--accomplish, make an end, expire, fill up, finish, go over, pay, perform.

G4931 συντελέω (synteleō), occurs 7 times in 7 verses

Mar 13:4
“Tell us, when will these things be, and what will be the sign when all these things are about to be accomplished?”
Luk 4:2
for forty days, being tempted by the devil. And he ate nothing during those days. And when they were ended, he was hungry.
Luk 4:13
And when the devil had ended every temptation, he departed from him until an opportune time.
Act 21:27
When the seven days were almost completed, the Jews from Asia, seeing him in the temple, stirred up the whole crowd and laid hands on him,
Rom 9:28
for the Lord will carry out his sentence upon the earth fully and without delay.”
Heb 8:8
For he finds fault with them when he says:[fn]
“Behold, the days are coming, declares the Lord,
when I will establish a new covenant with the house of Israel
and with the house of Judah,

Last edited:
Upvote 0

One Son

Site Supporter
Aug 29, 2016
USA
✟651,265.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Democrat

NET Bible
Heb.9:27 And just as people are appointed to die once, and then* to face judgment.

*meta <3326>
meta meta
Pronunciation: met-ah'
Origin: a primary preposition (often used adverbially)
Reference: TDNT - 7:766,1102
PrtSpch: prep
In Greek: met 131, meta 295, mey 43
In NET: with 292, after 46, After 42, to 10, later 6, in 5, against 4, among 4, his companions 4, along with 2, companions 2, on 2, With 2, confidently 2, and 2, carries 1, then 1, bringing 1, along 1, without 1, accompanying 1, when 1, afterward 1, use 1, courageously 1, in company with 1, sue 1, joyfully 1, right behind 1, later on 1, hurriedly 1, hurried 1, eagerly 1, from 1, without losing dignity 1, his own companions 1, each 1
In AV: with 345, after 88, among 5, hereafter + 5023 4, afterward + 5023 4, against 4, not tr 1, misc 32
Count: 473
Definition: 1) with, after, behind

I think this word means with.

Lk.23:39(NAS) One of the criminals who were hanged there was hurling abuse at Him, saying, “Are You not the Christ? Save Yourself and us!” 40But the other answered, and rebuking him said, “Do you not even fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation? 41“And we indeed are suffering justly, for we are receiving what we deserve for our deeds; but this man has done nothing wrong.” 42And he was saying, “Jesus, remember me when You come in Your kingdom!” 43And He said to him, “Truly I say to you, today you shall be with Me in Paradise.”

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.(2Cor.5:17).

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
NET Bible
Heb.9:27 And just as people are appointed to die once, and then* to face judgment.

*meta <3326>
meta meta
Pronunciation: met-ah'
Origin: a primary preposition (often used adverbially)
Reference: TDNT - 7:766,1102
PrtSpch: prep
In Greek: met 131, meta 295, mey 43
In NET: with 292, after 46, After 42, to 10, later 6, in 5, against 4, among 4, his companions 4, along with 2, companions 2, on 2, With 2, confidently 2, and 2, carries 1, then 1, bringing 1, along 1, without 1, accompanying 1, when 1, afterward 1, use 1, courageously 1, in company with 1, sue 1, joyfully 1, right behind 1, later on 1, hurriedly 1, hurried 1, eagerly 1, from 1, without losing dignity 1, his own companions 1, each 1
In AV: with 345, after 88, among 5, hereafter + 5023 4, afterward + 5023 4, against 4, not tr 1, misc 32
Count: 473
Definition: 1) with, after, behind

I think this word means with.

Lk.23:39(NAS) One of the criminals who were hanged there was hurling abuse at Him, saying, “Are You not the Christ? Save Yourself and us!” 40But the other answered, and rebuking him said, “Do you not even fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation? 41“And we indeed are suffering justly, for we are receiving what we deserve for our deeds; but this man has done nothing wrong.” 42And he was saying, “Jesus, remember me when You come in Your kingdom!” 43And He said to him, “Truly I say to you, today you shall be with Me in Paradise.”

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.(2Cor.5:17).
Thank you for that informative post.
The Thief on the Cross event is much discussed within Christianity today as well as on CF....

https://www.google.com/search?q=thi...KKwKHRA9B4EQrQIoBDAAegQIARAN&biw=1366&bih=626
About 1,390 results (0.41 seconds)

Why are so many Christians against annihilation in hell when scripture supports it?

Part 2
THE WICKED REMEMBER THE EVIL THEY HAVE DONE WHILE THEY ARE BURNING

*snip:

3. Lastly people will try to use the thief on the cross. There are three ways people try to use the thief on the cross.
  1. Christ and the thief went to heaven when they died.
Now when we look at the verse,
Luke 23:43
43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise.

This makes sense when taken at face value not looking at the rest of scripture. When we do though we see the error in this line of thinking. When Christ died he did not go to heaven he went to sheol/the grave.

1 Peter 3:18-19
18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

Ephesians 4:9-10
9 (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?
10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)

We know that he didn’t ascend until mid or late morning because he appeared to Mary after she left his grave and still had yet to ascend.
John 20:16-17
17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

After speaking with her he ascended and then reappeared to the disciples and told them to touch him.(John 20:19-28). So it is obvious this line of thinking cannot be the case.

2 and 3 The other two ways people try to use are basically the same with only a minor difference. One believes that when he said this he was referring to the day of judgement(1st way) and that there is a inspired comma. The second believes that he was referring not to judgment day and the resurrection but to sunday when he finally ascended, and they may or may not have a special comma. The answer to both of these is the same.

In the original Greek there was no punctuation so it would read:
43 And Jesus said unto him Verily I say unto thee Today shalt thou be with me in paradise

So we can clearly see that it is friday that he is referring to, and where did he go on friday. The answer is sheol/the grave. And the thief he spoke to went there the same day as him. Paradise is the Place thought by the ancient Jews to be the place where the righteous souls went when they died.

Paradise- Paradeisos 3857
3. The part of hell which was thought to be the abode of the souls of the pious until the resurrection.

Now we know that even today the dead still sleep(Acts 2:27-31, 1 Peter 3:18-19, 2 Peter 2:4, Psalm 16:10, Acts 7:60, 1 Cor 15:6,1 Thessalonians 4:13) and none have risen except for Christ. No man is resurrected except they be a part of the first or second resurrection.( 1 Thess 4:13-17, Acts 7:59-60, 1 Corinthians 15:6, 1 Corinthians 15:18-23,Revelation 20:11-15,Revelation 20:4-6)

If you disagree I ask that you provide strong doctrine using the word of God alone to prove me wrong, using the full sword of God not just a couple verses here or there.

May the Peace, Light, and Word of the Lord God Yahshua the Christ guide you in all things.

Upvote 0