Matt 16:18 - Binding and Loosing, Keys of the Kingdom - Lutheran compared to Catholic

Markie Boy

Supporter
Oct 28, 2017
United States
✟375,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Coming from a Catholic background (and not wanting to go back), I am looking for a new home church. I am wondering how Lutheranism explains this one, as I don't believe in Apostolic Succession as a passing on of this power to bind and loose.

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟321,755.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Coming from a Catholic background (and not wanting to go back), I am looking for a new home church. I am wondering how Lutheranism explains this one, as I don't believe in Apostolic Succession as a passing on of this power to bind and loose.

While you're waiting, this might help:

Apostolic succession - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟393,838.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, I think we can consider Matthew 16:19 in a few steps:

Our Roman Catholic friends hold that the Keys belong to the Pope as the head of the church. The claim is that Jesus gave the Keys to Peter and to his followers. This idea that the Keys are bound up to the supposed Papal office is not true, for in John 20:19-23, we find Christ giving the Keys to all His disciples, breathing on them the Holy Spirit.

Now, regarding Apostolic Succession, it's possible to make appeals to tradition. But note here, first of all, that there's a question of (1) which tradition, (2) a belief in that the office of Bishop is by divine right, and (3) a belief in Holy Tradition. These are all part of the same thing, but here I'm highlighting three problems in their own right, and all of which have no foundation in the Holy Scriptures. So, to speak simply, we can't find the doctrine of Apostolic Succession in the Bible. It's an idea that developed over time, and it really only makes sense to believe in it if we believe in an Oral Tradition outside of the Bible, which we, Lutherans, don't. That is, we can be certain that the Scriptures are the true words of God, but it's impossible to be certain about what in tradition is of God and what is of man. So, this is why tradition must always be governed by God's Word.

So, we reject the theory of Apostolic Succession, but we do hold to Apostolicity, as we confess in the creed: "I believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church." And the reason we confess that the Church is Apostolic is that it’s built on the foundation of the Apostles and Prophets, with Christ Jesus as the Cornerstone. It’s also Apostolic given its doctrinal and historical connection with the Apostles, and that it continually sets forth the doctrine of the Apostles, remains steadfast in the teachings, and carries the Apostolic mission of preaching the Gospel to the whole world.

We can appreciate that the early Church rightly stressed the importance of Apostolicity, especially against heretics and schismatics. However, Apostolicity should not be understood as a transmitting of divinely instituted authority or hierarchy, for this has no real Scriptural support, and is in fact, even an idea refuted by some of the Church Fathers.

Returning to Matthew 16:19 and John 20:19-23, then, who does our Lord give the Keys to? He gives them to His disciples, who are the foundation of the Christian church (Ephesians 2:20). So by this, we can understand the giving of the Keys more broadly, namely, that they are given to the Church, and that they are connected with the Holy Spirit, whom God graciously gives us in our Baptism and through His Word. So this means that the office of the Keys belong to all Christians, but especially to the Pastoral office for the public declaration of the Gospel.

Simply, exercising the Keys is to call sinners to repentance and to declare the Gospel of Jesus to the contrite. And this is given to the whole Church, but is also demanded of those who serve in the Pastoral office, whose duty it is to proclaim God's Word.

Many words here, but hopefully this helps!

The grace and peace of Christ to you!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟393,838.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
That makes sense - once again Daniel9v9. So essentially the Keys are the Gospel - which all Christians are to have, and the Gospel is the Key to the Kingdom? Without it you don't enter.

I think that sums it up pretty well — that's great! Though maybe it can be helpful to think of the Keys, in that they open and close, as exercising Law and Gospel. The Law condemns (Galatians 3:10, 1 Timothy 1:9, Romans 2:12), that is, it's not a preaching of forgiveness but of judgment. But the Gospel declares the forgiveness of sins and peace with God won for us by Christ (Romans 1:16, Ephesians 1:13-14, Ephesians 2:8-9).

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
For all practical purposes, the office of the keys are exercised normally through the ministry of the pastor, and are similar to how they are understood in Roman Catholicism. The pastor of course doesn't have the power to send people to Hell, but they do retain the ability to arbitrate theological matter in the congregation, hear confession, give advice or penances, and in extreme cases, to excommunicate someone from the sacraments or from fellowship.

Upvote 0

JM

Coram Deo.
Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟738,496.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
2 Corinthians 5:11-21

Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences. For we commend not ourselves again unto you, but give you occasion to glory on our behalf, that ye may have somewhat to answer them which glory in appearance, and not in heart. For whether we be beside ourselves, it is to God: or whether we be sober, it is for your cause. For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead: And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again. Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more. Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation; To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation. Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God. For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

Upvote 0