Matisyahu: What's going on with that guy?

Feb 20, 2004
Visit site
✟22,847.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
So, yesterday he posted 2 pics to Facebook; one wherehe has his back to the camera, showing he's no longer wearing a kippah, and another posing next to someone who is quite possibly smoking a joint (I want to give the guy the benefit of the doubt and say it's tobacco, but I've never seen anyone strike that pose with a plain ol' cigarette). What's your take on the whole thing?

Here's an article I found interesting, that could contribute to any discussion: Matisyahu’s Public Transformation: What The World Doesn’t Understand | Jewish & Israel News Algemeiner.com

xDenax

Jewish
Jul 20, 2009
United States
✟13,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I thought the Nehorai article made sense (I read it earlier today on another site). I can see it from his perspective however, not being Orthodox myself I don't have the same feelings.

About an hour again, Matisyahu said and I think it sums up how he feels.

I will try to write a couple of ideas and thoughts, but I prefer to speak in my native language, the language of the soul, Music. So I will preface this piece by asking that before prescribing judgement to some pictures, please wait and listen to my new record "Spark Seeker" from start to finish. The record is infused with both Jewish and universal inspiration, as it is a reflection of my inner landscape over the past 2 years of its making. From visions of the Bal Shem Tov to Kabbalah references, prayers in Hebrew and stories in Yiddish, this record was both a spiritual and reflective journey full of transition and growth.

That being said, I believe there is a higher level...a level where there is no divisiveness. Where there is complete unity, and that is what I am mirroring. There was a time when I felt it was necessary to show the world what I believed in through my physical appearance. I think this can be a wonderful thing, but as my faith has evolved I have come to believe there are many other ways to show my spirituality and Judaism. Ways in which our humanity is emphasized over our differences. This was my aim for the music. This was always my aim. During the making of this record I began to feel that I was shedding something, and with that I chose to shave. Just as when I was 18 and I shaved my dreadlocks to let go of my identity, I felt as if I was returning to a time prior to religion or rules or right and wrong. To a place where truth shows itself in beauty and balance and I felt it was time to walk a new path.

What that exactly means or looks like I am still figuring out, and will be for the rest of my life, I hope. To those who feel betrayed by my choices or my look, don't worry, I think they will continue to change and evolve--that is the awesomeness of life. I think that through patience, in time you will see we are still on the same team. We are ALL on the same team. I am so excited for you to hear my new record I hope it will explain and inspire so much more then my words here can.

Sincerely In Love and Truth,

Matis

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
He's seems to be very mixed up right now. I heard an interview with him where he made the statement "I'm off to shul and I'm going to be bored". I knew then he
was headed OTD. I also wonder if fame and fortune has messed with him....some
people don't handle it very well. Although it's ironic because if he hadn't been with
Chabad when he started his musical career, I don't think he would have gone far.
He would have just been another face in the crowd-the full frum get up certainly
earned him attention.

Upvote 0

yedida

Ruth Messianic, joining Israel, Na'aseh v'nishma!
Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
I read the article and followed with the comments. I have to agree with some of the comments that warn putting your faith, trust and hopes in any person is bound to result in dismay, they are only going to hurt and disappoint, whether they intend to or not.
Each of us is on a life journey and we all need to be allowed to travel as we feel we need to go. We all need assistance, not be tied to being some kind of role model for others from which we invariably are going to fail.
Let him walk where he needs to go.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hey there IITB! Long time no see! :wave:

I think we've been aware of the changes he's going through, and I don't see it as something bad. He is growing, searching, learning, and has gone from the outside in, where it counts IYAM.

We've discussed this here recently so you can check out this thread. :)

Matisyahu from mid Dec last year when he announced he shaved

Upvote 0

JRSut1000

Newbie no more!
Aug 20, 2011
United States of America
✟14,114.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
It makes me sad though because it seems he is confused like a few others have stated. I thought the article the OP posted was very sincere and I understood the emotion he felt. When you connect to someone both musically and spiritually, it's hard when you see them in a sense 'betray' some of those beliefs or go through a time of questioning. Sometimes compassion and empathy is the result, sometimes anger and grief.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't see him as questioning his beliefs but going deeper. Connecting with G-d is more than wearing certain clothing and growing a beard. (I thougth only married men had those anyway).

I also don't think anyone should base their beliefs or following G-d based on how someone else does it, no matter how much in the spotlight.

Look at how many got into Kabbalah because Madonna did it. :sigh:

Upvote 0

xDenax

Jewish
Jul 20, 2009
United States
✟13,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

xDenax

Jewish
Jul 20, 2009
United States
✟13,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It makes me sad though because it seems he is confused like a few others have stated.

I don't think he's confused. None of us stay exactly the same our entire lives. We all evolve and change. That's what he's doing but he's a public figure so we're all watching it. Goodness, I'm glad nobody watches me that closely!! ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

xDenax

Jewish
Jul 20, 2009
United States
✟13,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would bet drugs are involved. Reggae is a drug culture, and he's neck-deep in it.

Oh for heaven sake the man shaves his beard and it's because he's on drugs? How about we don't make wild speculations about his life? I have partaken the cannabis and it sure didn't make me wanna dye my hair blond and shave my beard. ;)

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Oh for heaven sake the man shaves his beard and it's because he's on drugs? How about we don't make wild speculations about his life? I have partaken the cannabis and it sure didn't make me wanna dye my hair blond and shave my beard. ;)

But did you inhale? :waaah:

Partaking and becoming a part of the lifestyle are very different things.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
That's the Amish. Here's a link about it - Why don't chassidic men shave their beards? - The Details

That being said, Matisyahu is married and has children.

I guess I've been thrown by pictures I've seen of young men with peyos only.

Thanks, I don't need a link, I am well aware of the mitzvah. :thumbsup:

And I didn't know Matisyahu was married. I'm not any kind of public figure groupie, I would only know about personal things like that if they were told to me directly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

xDenax

Jewish
Jul 20, 2009
United States
✟13,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And I didn't know Matisyahu was married. I'm not any kind of public figure groupie, I would only know about personal things like that if they were told to me directly.

I already knew he was married but I do follow him on facebook and he posts pictures of his son.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
That's like saying anyone who sings country music drinks moonshine! :D

Seriously.........

Old-style country would be more beer and whiskey. Bluegrass and banjo pickers are the moonshiners.

Watch him over the next year or two and see if his hair gets longer and he starts with the dreadlocks.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Easy G (G²);60878232 said:
He never struck me as the type to have children...but glad to know:)
I actually met him once at a melave malka. He seemed quiet, down to earth and definitely a family man.

Last edited:
Upvote 0