Mathew 19:12- Was Jesus referring to virgins?

Blexxer

Aug 3, 2018
Greenville
✟15,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I have read Mathew 19:12 and am curious to know if anyone thinks that Jesus was referring to virgins abstaining from sex. He mentions those who have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of Heaven. An eunuch could have had a sexual relationship in the past but has chosen to abstain from it.

At the same time, I read Revelation 14 where the 144,000 virgins are mentioned. While I do acknowledge that some people interpret the 144,000 as a figurative representation of the Church, I can't help but think it is to be interpreted literally. I can't help but think that these are some of those mentioned in Mathew 19:12.

Any seasoned scholars willing to voice their opinion on this matter? The reason I ask is because I did have sex once for about a minute (with a condom) without finishing. I had tremendous guilt and asked her to get off of me. I've had an earth shattering vision since then, and I can no longer see myself getting married. I'm a young 24 year old who has a zeal for the Lord. But my past, like so many others, speaks out against me.

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
I have read Mathew 19:12 and am curious to know if anyone thinks that Jesus was referring to virgins abstaining from sex. He mentions those who have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of Heaven. An eunuch could have had a sexual relationship in the past but has chosen to abstain from it..

some are eunuchs because they were born that way;

These are they who don't desire to be engaged in sex

others were made that way by men;

An example of these today, would be the divorced. Notice where he goes with this in the rest of that chapter - forbidding remarriage after divorce. Thus Paul writes, for example, "To the married I give this command (not I, but the Lord): A wife must not separate from her husband. But if she does, she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. " 1Cor 7:10,11

and others have renounced marriage because of the kingdom of heaven.

This speaks for itself.

Reactions: Blexxer
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I have read Mathew 19:12 and am curious to know if anyone thinks that Jesus was referring to virgins abstaining from sex. He mentions those who have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of Heaven. An eunuch could have had a sexual relationship in the past but has chosen to abstain from it.

At the same time, I read Revelation 14 where the 144,000 virgins are mentioned. While I do acknowledge that some people interpret the 144,000 as a figurative representation of the Church, I can't help but think it is to be interpreted literally. I can't help but think that these are some of those mentioned in Mathew 19:12.

Any seasoned scholars willing to voice their opinion on this matter? The reason I ask is because I did have sex once for about a minute (with a condom) without finishing. I had tremendous guilt and asked her to get off of me. I've had an earth shattering vision since then, and I can no longer see myself getting married. I'm a young 24 year old who has a zeal for the Lord. But my past, like so many others, speaks out against me.

The Lord refers to those who devote themselves to a life of celibacy and chastity--not that they are necessarily virgins. One can still devote themselves to celibacy and chastity even if they aren't a virgin.

Yes, I think the 144,000 is symbolic of God's People throughout history. They aren't literally virgins, just as these aren't a literal 144,000 people. The number is symbolic 12x12x1000. Twelve tribes, twelve apostles. The number 1,000 tends to often be shorthand in Scripture for "a very large number", so for example in the Psalms we read that God owns the cattle on a thousand hills, or St. Peter saying that for God a day is like a thousand years and a thousand years is like a day. Neither of these is literal, as though God doesn't own the cattle on hill 1,001, or that days are millennia or millennia are days--but rather that time is irrelevant for God, a short time and a long time are meaningless to God who is eternal and outside of time. So here we are given a figurative number of a vast multitude: these are God's people, the Church.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
God compares fornication/adultery with worshiping idols often in the scriptures. So it is entirely possible that the "virgins" are those who have not committed to worshiping other gods.

Contextually I think this makes the most sense. The Apocalypse of St. John speaks of two kinds of marks, the most infamous being the mark of the beast; but also there is the seal of God upon God's people. The way in which the Apocalypse seems to suggest that one has their loyalty either to the beast or to God would probably help underscore that there are those who have not made their allegiance to the beast--they did not offer a pinch of incense and bow down before Caesar and worshiped his image; they instead are marked by God, belonging to Christ, for their allegiance is to Jesus.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: Shempster
Upvote 0

Mark51

Site Supporter
Nov 11, 2014
✟89,056.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Read a few verses before Matthew 19:12. The Pharisees were tiring to trick Jesus. Becoming a spouse or remaining single are both honorable and a blessing. Those that have a higher spiritual calling may want to consider remaining single-unless their spouses have the same disposition. This was the primary reason why Paul-for example-remained single so the he will be able give all of his attention to his ministry. This is a basic and limit summary. Peruse 1 Corinthians chapter 7.

The account at Revelation chapter 14 is a literal number; however, “virgins” does not imply that those numbered were never married or at one time or another committed fornication-fleshly or spiritual.-1 Corinthians 6:9-11; compare Romans 4:7,8; Ephesians 2:1-7.

These mentioned-after coming to an accurate knowledge and approved by God- remaining separate from the world by keeping themselves morally and spiritually pure.-Revelation 14:1, 4; compare 1Cointhians 5:9-13; 6:15-20; James 4:4; 2 John 8-11.

Therefore, if you have the desire to marry, then pursue it with a clean conscious-in the Lord-it because this arrangement is righteous and a gift from God.

Upvote 0

Steven Heiss

Jul 28, 2018
Arvada
✟19,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

It is not meant literally, but figuratively and spiritually, within a broader, consistent metaphor.

We are to become the bride of Christ. Adultery, in this context, is engaging with another person in intimate ways that should be reserved only for the Bridegroom. Virginity, by extension, is abstaining from such practices. A virgin is one who does not place another between Him and themselves, nor accept a surrogate.

A eunuch is one who is resolved in his own mind so that he is impervious to the enticements of the harlot of Babylon, the mystery religion, or those of her daughters. She and her spawn are a snare that promise salvation and deliver distraction.

In simple terms, a spiritual virgin is a Christian who does not belong to an organized religion, and a spiritual eunuch is one who never will. The musings of others can not get a rise out of him, for he responds only to the voice of his betrothed.

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Matthew 19 (NASB)
9 And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.”

10 The disciples said to Him, “If the relationship of the man with his wife is like this, it is better not to marry.”
11 But He said to them, “Not all men can accept this statement, but only those to whom it has been given.
12 For there are eunuchs who were born that way from their mother’s womb; (birth infertility)
and there are eunuchs who were made eunuchs by men; (castration)
and there are also eunuchs who made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. (abstention)
He who is able to accept this, let him accept it.”

eunuchs...Greek 2135...eunouchos...
I.a bed keeper, bed guard, superintendent of the bedchamber, chamberlain
A.in the palace of oriental monarchs who support numerous wives the superintendent of the women's apartment or harem, an office held by eunuchs
B.an emasculated man, a eunuch
i.eunuchs in oriental courts held by other offices of greater, held by the Ethiopian eunuch mentioned in Ac. 8:27-39.
C.one naturally incapacitated
i.for marriage
ii.begetting children
D.one who voluntarily abstains from marriage

Revelation 7:4...[ The 144,000 ] ...not necessarily virgins: 12 Jewish tribes
And I heard the number of those who were sealed, one hundred and forty-four thousand sealed from every tribe of the sons of Israel:
5 from the tribe of Judah, twelve thousand were sealed, from the tribe of Reuben twelve thousand, from the tribe of Gad twelve thousand, 6 from the tribe of Asher twelve thousand, from the tribe of Naphtali twelve thousand, from the tribe of Manasseh twelve thousand, 7 from the tribe of Simeon twelve thousand, from the tribe of Levi twelve thousand, from the tribe of Issachar twelve thousand, 8 from the tribe of Zebulun twelve thousand, from the tribe of Joseph twelve thousand, from the
tribe of Benjamin, twelve thousand
were sealed.

Revelation 14:1 [ The Lamb and the 144,000 on Mount Zion ] ...not necessarily virgins
Then I looked, and behold, the Lamb was standing on Mount Zion, and with Him one hundred and forty-four thousand, having His name and the name of His Father written on their foreheads. (saved)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Steven Heiss

Jul 28, 2018
Arvada
✟19,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Revelation 7:4...[ The 144,000 ] ...not necessarily virgins: 12 Jewish tribes

I would like to know why so many people say all of the tribes were Jewish. I don't get that from reading the Bible. I have asked this of others on this site and gotten almost as many answers as I have replies. Could you explain it the way you see it? Thanks.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Mat 19:12 For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it.

G2135
εὐνοῦχος
eunouchos
yoo-noo'-khos
From εὐνή eunē (a bed) and G2192; a castrated person (such being employed in Oriental bed chambers); by extension an impotent or unmarried man; by implication a chamberlain (state officer): - eunuch.

This isn't about virgins abstaining, but men who were castrated so they could not have sex. Typically they were use to guard women to keep men away, and not be tempted to sleep with any of the women themselves. What Christ says at the end of the verse is likely a spiritual type of eunuch.

• Agree
Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
READ:

Revelation 7:4-8...[ The 144,000 ] ...not virgins: =>12 Jewish tribes
4 And I heard the number of those who were sealed, one hundred and forty-four thousand sealed from every tribe of the sons of Israel:
5 from the tribe of Judah, twelve thousand were sealed, from the tribe of Reuben twelve thousand, from the tribe of Gad twelve thousand, 6 from the tribe of Asher twelve thousand, from the tribe of Naphtali twelve thousand, from the tribe of Manasseh twelve thousand, 7 from the tribe of Simeon twelve thousand, from the tribe of Levi twelve thousand, from the tribe of Issachar twelve thousand, 8 from the tribe of Zebulun twelve thousand, from the tribe of Joseph twelve thousand, from the
tribe of Benjamin, twelve thousand
were sealed.

Upvote 0

Steven Heiss

Jul 28, 2018
Arvada
✟19,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
READ:

Revelation 7:4-8...[ The 144,000 ] =>12 Jewish tribes

What is the equation, for which this is the solution? How does one arrive at the conclusion that they are all Jewish?

(please connect the dots) _____ + _____=>12 Jewish tribes

Ten of the thirteen tribes rejected Judah and chose their own kings in Judah's stead, and they also chose priests who were not Levites, and those men worshiped idols.

They went separate ways, followed different gods and were ruled by other kings and were known by another name. They were not Jewish by lineage (genetic 'cousins' with a distant common ancestor, not progeny), by nationality (separate kingdoms/kings), nor by religion. What other reason then could there be to call them Jewish?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Mat 19:12 For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb:

These are men who were born impotent due to any one of a number of medical conditions.

and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men:

These are men who have been physically castrated (ie. their testes are surgically removed) usually before puberty.

and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake.

To me this could be either voluntary castration or voluntary celibacy.

He that is able to receive it, let him receive it.

To me this reveals the influence of the Greek philosophy of dualism on the Judaism of the day and the emerging Christianity. Some monks took this so seriously that they actually castrated themselves. This is sort of self mutilation is incomprehensible to me. If you can't handle celibacy as a monk, you should not be a monk.

Upvote 0