• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Math question, not sure where to ask this, possible explaining help?

Discussion in 'General Hobbies and Interests' started by Galadriel, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Galadriel

Galadriel Lady of Light

+82
    Christian
    Married
    Hi there
    I am re-learning some math (on my own, no teacher or tutor), and having trouble understanding how they got the correct answers to this question. I've been looking all around the internet for similar problems with explanation, but not finding it. This is a question given on Khan Academy.

The question is: Rob spent 25% more time on his research project than he had planned. He spent an extra h hours on the project. Which two below represent the hours actually spent on it?

a) 4h
    b) (1 + 25/100)h
    c) 1.25h
    d) 5h
    e) (h/0.25)1.25

It gives the correct answers as choice d and e.

So h is the extra hours spent on the project.

In the explanation given, it sets it up as planned to spend h/25% hours, and actually spent is h/25% + h hours. I do not understand why h is divided by 25%. Wouldn't it be 25% of the hours planned plus the extra h hours to get total hours spent on the project? That would be set up as .25(hours planned) + h. This obviously is not correct though. I feel stupid for not getting this but it is really stumping me. Anyone able to give clarification?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Residential Bob

Residential Bob Active Member

+272
    United States
    Christian
    Single

3. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints! Supporter

+4,356
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    While the OP is true, it seems quite convoluted.

Let t = the amount of time he intended to spend on the project.
    He actually spent
    • 1t + 0.25t =
    • (1 + 0.25)t =
    • 1.25t
    h = 0.25t, so
    • xh = 1.25t
    • x = 1.25t/h =
    • 1.25t/0.25t =
    • 5 * 0.25t/0.25t =
    Therefore, 1.25t = 5h

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  4. devin553344

devin553344 I believe in the Resurrection

+2,198
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    oops. I believe that answer is d or 5h. Dividing h by 0.25 gives a growth factor of 4 which is h/0.25 or h*1/0.25 then multiplying times 1.25 yields 5h again

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  5. usexpat97

usexpat97 kewlness

+1,572
    Presbyterian
    Single
    Try it with some hard numbers. He planned to spend 4 hours. He spent 25% more than planned, which is 5. H is 1.

6. Porpoise

Porpoise Member

+353
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    When I first looked at this I assumed h was the hours he planned to spend on it, so I was confused at first. Then I noticed it says "he spent an extra h hours". So h is not the hours planned but the extra hours, which means h is .25 (of the time he planned to spend). The actual amount of time spent is 1.25 of the planned hours.

d) 5h -----------> 5 (.25) = 1.25
    e) (h/0.25)1.25 ------------> .25 / .25 * 1.25 = 1 * 1.25 = 1.25

7. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints! Supporter

+4,356
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    Answer e is just a more convoluted expression of answer d.

8. usexpat97

usexpat97 kewlness

+1,572
    Presbyterian
    Single
    Certainly, but you can eyeball it: 4h x 1.25 = 5h.

9. paul1149

paul1149 that your faith might rest in the power of God Supporter

+4,924
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    US-Republican
    I also find this convoluted, but the way they got h/.25 is:
    • h = .25t
    • h/.25 = t (divide both sides by .25 to solve for t )

10. JackRT

JackRT Well-Known Member Supporter

+16,130
    Canada
    Unorthodox
    Married
    Perfect!!!

11. usexpat97

usexpat97 kewlness

+1,572
    Presbyterian
    Single
    But is this more convoluted than real life? Make it an oddball number, 42%.

If h= the 42%, then you have to divide by .42 to get how much he thought he would spend. That's h/.42 . (h/.42)(1.42) would be it. Although I think (h/.42)+h is simpler. A little algebra will prove the two are the same.

12. icxn

icxn Bραδύγλωσσος αἰπόλος μαθητεύων κνίζειν συκάμινα

+861
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    If 25% is h then 100% is 4h. Add the extra h and you get a total of 5h spent. Also 1.25/0.25 = 5 so options d and e.

13. Galadriel

Galadriel Lady of Light

+82
    Christian
    Married
    Thank you for the help! I will have to study your answers. It is a really oddball way of doing it isn't it? I think that was throwing me off so much, couldn't get from the logical way to the convoluted way they had it in the answers.