Would Episcopalians/Anglicans Consider Masturbation a Sin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟106,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It doesn't come up in conversation very often.
True. Most people don't talk about it that often. I think sexuality is such a taboo topic that it just doesn't get discussed enough. What do you think about it? Do you think its a sin?

Upvote 0

pmcleanj

Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner
Mar 24, 2004
Alberta, Canada
Visit site
✟7,281.00
Faith
Anglican
The question depends on first answering "What is the nature of Sin". Foreign churches, often rooted in a history of feudalism, tend to take the view that the educated upper-class of the clerical hierarchy can be trusted to answer such philosophical questions, and the broad class of the laity can be given rules to follow which cover the required behaviour at an appropriate level for those who spend their lives hewing wood and drawing water, instead of contemplating angels and pin-heads.

Deep in Anglican past -- farther into the past than the Roman and Byzantine establishment, however, we have historical roots sunk into the Celtic church, with the ancient Celtic (and, for that matter, Anglo-Saxon) belief in an independent yeomanry and universal (if oral) education. On the rocky shores of the Hebrides, everyone is a philosopher whether shepherd or fisherman or spinster. That's why it's said that in any room containing ten Anglicans, you will find at least eleven opinions.

I believe Sin is anything that breaks or weakens our relationship with God. And since Christ has told us that whenever we feed or clothe or comfort another person, we are feeding and clothing and comforthing Him, anything that breaks or weakens our relationships with "the least of these little ones" weakens our relationship with Him and comes under that same definition.

Does pleasant comfortable friction in the privacy of your solitude break any bonds of relationship? It may -- if you are doing it *instead* of relating or serving or enjoying another person. It may, if in your imagination you are indulging in adulterous or lustful or base thoughts. But only you and God know what is going on in your imagination. So you must examine your own conscience.

Interestingly, I have heard that in the hyper-uptight Victorian era, it was common and completely acceptable for baby-nurses to relieve tension in their infant male charges by massaging their genitals gently to help them sleep. Of course nowadays that would lead to arrests, but an hundred years ago the person who put a sexual overtone onto an infant's normal physical relaxation-trigger would be the one who was thought sick, not the person using that technique.

So, it's all a matter of what is going on in your soul and your relationships. And like my Celtic ancestors, I'm willing to trust the laity to build their relationship directly with God without a layer of rules laid down by a hierarchy.

Reactions: pilgrimgal
Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
✟106,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have never heard it addressed in a church setting. I personally am torn between the fact that it is a natural urge universal to all people and Jesus' teaching on lusting and adultery.
Yeah that's the problem. We have Jesus' teaching on lust and adultery and how can one touch without having lustful thoughts?

Upvote 0
J

JasonV

Yeah that's the problem. We have Jesus' teaching on lust and adultery and how can one touch without having lustful thoughts?

I think you're confusing the issue. Christ condemned the lust that lead to adultery. That's it. Other forms of lust, including those within the marriage bed, are not included.

And since it is God who placed the "lust" in us , who is really to blame?

Upvote 0

No Swansong

Formerly Jtbdad Christian on every board!
Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
True. Most people don't talk about it that often. I think sexuality is such a taboo topic that it just doesn't get discussed enough. What do you think about it? Do you think its a sin?
I'm not so sure that it is really thought of here as taboo as much as it's something we just don't think to talk about it. I know it's not part of my daily thoughts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

No Swansong

Formerly Jtbdad Christian on every board!
Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Generally, I think that when the Orthodox and Rome agree on an issue, you can be pretty sure, that is the position the church has held universally (catholic) across geography and time.
However, I find it ridiculous that they both would actually have you confess this before you receive the Eucharist.
So which is it GT? They would both have you confess and it has been so across Geography and Time so would not confessing be considered a sin since it is supported by Tradition?

Upvote 0

Aymn27

Radical Reformationist
Feb 12, 2005
Lake Charles, LA
Visit site
✟19,028.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi everyone. :wave: Would most Episcopalians/Anglicans consider masturbation to be a sin or not? :confused: What is your opinion?
I've always learned that the act is not sinful but the thoughts occuring during the act are....so if you can do it without thinking about it...then no..but for the 99.9% of us who would not be able to accomplish such a feat - then..yes, it is...

Upvote 0

Aymn27

Radical Reformationist
Feb 12, 2005
Lake Charles, LA
Visit site
✟19,028.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think you're confusing the issue. Christ condemned the lust that lead to adultery. That's it. Other forms of lust, including those within the marriage bed, are not included.

And since it is God who placed the "lust" in us , who is really to blame?
God did NOT place "lust" in us..there is a difference b/ween sexuality and lust....

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
✟106,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Oh, it is clearly been seen as a sin traditionally by the church. I just think that is an error.
I agree. Just because tradition says something is a sin doesn't mean that tradition is always right.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

She

Apr 23, 2006
✟8,940.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Personally, I believe that it is wrong within marriage. That was partly why I left the RCC. Their rules regarding artificial contraception and the 'regulation of births' through NFP can leave a couple open to the temptation of solitary masturbation. I believe this to be wrong and not what marriage is intended for.

It can lead to self-love through the release of 'bonding hormones'. These hormones are released during birth and breast-feeding as well. They are intended to help us to bond with another person, not with ourselves. Unfortunately, some long-term masturbators who live on their own for decades, end up very selfish and self-absorbed.

Upvote 0

Iron Sun 254

Insane Genius
Aug 23, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Visit site
✟20,473.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Personally, I believe that it is wrong within marriage. That was partly why I left the RCC. Their rules regarding artificial contraception and the 'regulation of births' through NFP can leave a couple open to the temptation of solitary masturbation. I believe this to be wrong and not what marriage is intended for.

It can lead to self-love through the release of 'bonding hormones'. These hormones are released during birth and breast-feeding as well. They are intended to help us to bond with another person, not with ourselves. Unfortunately, some long-term masturbators who live on their own for decades, end up very selfish and self-absorbed.

That doesn't seem right. If a couple is married and one of the partners can no longer perform sexually, the other person would be forced to either cheat, force themselves on their spouse, suffer with desires they can never satisfy or get divorced. I would think remaining faithful to the person you love and satisfying yourself through other means would be better than the alternatives.

Reactions: pilgrimgal
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.