✟1,027.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
insaneinthebrain said:
...Anyone feeling the need to debate whether or not masturbation, sexual fantasy, etc. is wrong should start up a new discussion in Christian Philosophy and Ethics....

insaneinthebrain - Senior Moderator

Is it ok to do this or is it wrong? My mother is telling me that it's wrong but, I can't find anything biblical to support that. I know there is a place in the bible that says that if we turn to self-gratification instead of our husbands...it is wrong. What do you think?

invisible trousers

~*this post promotes non-nicene christianity*~
Apr 22, 2005
✟20,718.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Well, many people here have masturbated for a long time and seem to be able to get on with their lives without being smote by God.

Oh, I see you're married. I think I kind of know what you're getting at. As long masturbation doesn't affect your relationship with your husband I don't think it will be a problem.
in before the inevitable 'masturbating is a mortal sin you're going to hell' crowd

Upvote 0

holo

former Christian
Dec 24, 2003
✟77,794.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I hate these debates, but what the heck.

I think the Holy Spirit it perfectly able to guide us even in sexual areas. I don't know what you feel the Spirit is telling you, but I've never had any conviction that masturbation is wrong. Unclean thoughts, yes, masturbation, no. The Spirit will let me know if I'm entertaining unhealthy or unclean thoughts - they won't feel so good in my head, and I'll have to override the discomfort they bring, if I am to let them grow and develop.

Do what you do in faith.

Upvote 0

Shizzle

Mar 19, 2005
✟8,792.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
Masturbation isnt wrong because why wouldnt God have said it to be wrong, unless it werent wrong?
almost every argument againt masturbation has been logically/biblically refuted
http://www.christianforums.com/t1402263-why-do-you-think-its-wrong.html

I think the Holy Spirit it perfectly able to guide us even in sexual areas. I don't know what you feel the Spirit is telling you, but I've never had any conviction that masturbation is wrong. Unclean thoughts, yes, masturbation, no. The Spirit will let me know if I'm entertaining unhealthy or unclean thoughts - they won't feel so good in my head, and I'll have to override the discomfort they bring, if I am to let them grow and develop.
Where does it mention the bible about the holy spirit convicting us- i believe it does but still where. What do you define an unclean thought as? selfish, sexual, ect?

Upvote 0

constance

The littlest billy goat gruff
Apr 3, 2005
Indiana
✟29,764.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi -

You know, if you've got an itch, and your husband can't/won't scratch it for you, by all means, all things are permissible. As long as you aren't having sinful thoughts and as long as you aren't holding out on your husband, I can't see a problem in it.

Constance

Upvote 0

holo

former Christian
Dec 24, 2003
✟77,794.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Shizzle said:
What do you define an unclean thought as?

I don't, actually. I don't like to define thoughts any more than I like to define, say, foods. If you eat with offense, you sin. If you think with offense, you sin.
Also, everything is permissible, but not necessarily good for us.
When we're making rules about everything and everything, placing every single action and thought in either the "sinful" or the "OK" category, I think we miss the target by a thousand miles. That's what the pharisees and scribes did, even adding to the law they already has, and in the process drowing all that can be called love and compassion. Jesus intedded for us to be free from all that.

Upvote 0

holo

former Christian
Dec 24, 2003
✟77,794.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
shaytay,
if you can't do it without feeling guilty, I suggest you seek the Lord for the strenght not to do it.

btw, the whole conscience thing can be quite difficult to handle. After all, I may feel guilty even if I know I'm doing the right thing. For some of us, our conscience has been made hypersensitive by legalism.

Also, I wouldn't say anything is wrong just because it's self-gratifying. In that case candy has to go, too... and the temple of God has to make do with denim pants and a cap on top, so I'm not so sure we're to take it that way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HelpyHelperton

May 16, 2005
✟504.00
Faith
Christian
yeshuaskid said:
Is it ok to do this or is it wrong? My mother is telling me that it's wrong but, I can't find anything biblical to support that. I know there is a place in the bible that says that if we turn to self-gratification instead of our husbands...it is wrong. What do you think?
I think if you can have your spouse take care of the desire, that is the best method.

BUt in the case they cant, then personally I feel its best to just take care of it, letting them know of course, rather than ever possibly being in a position to be tempted by someone else.

Upvote 0
L

ladybug01

Where does the Bible say it is ok to touch? Where does the Bible say that the Holy Ghost will convict us all individually regarding spiritual matters and give us different answers? Truth, if it is True, cannot be contradicted. It is right in all circumstances and for every person, or wrong in all circumstances and for everyone.
What if I was to say that the Holy Ghost told me murder was wrong? Can I just come and kill you whenever I feel like it?
No! Of course not-- that's unsensical, and the Bible speaks against it, just as Holy Writ speaks against impurity. It is, futhmore, obvious that masturbation is an instance of impurity, lest we wouldn't want to hide it or feel ashamed of it.

Upvote 0

invisible trousers

~*this post promotes non-nicene christianity*~
Apr 22, 2005
✟20,718.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Could you please justify with scripture that we are not allowed to touch? I guess it would also be nice to see examples of God smiting people for masturbating. Lucky for us it appears that the CF members here who do touch seem to be doing alright. Also, I'd like to see the direct results of the sin that is masturbating. Murder is a sin, it's kind of ruining the life of the person you just killed. Adultery is a sin, it's kind of mean to the person you cheated on. Lying is a sin, it generally hurts the person you lied to. Masturbation is a sin, it's...well...I can't think of anything other than "because I say so!"

ladybug01 said:
Where does the Bible say it is ok to touch?
I don't know. Where does the bible say it is ok to eat a delicious steak for dinner? Where does the bible say it is ok to take a long bath and relax? The bible is not a book that lists only permissible things we can do.

Upvote 0

JamesCarter

Feb 25, 2005
Lexington, Ky
✟8,053.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The apostle Paul asserted in 1 Corinthians, "You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body."

I suppose the issue becomes - is masturbation consistent with glorifying God in our bodies. Paul also says that we are not our own. So, is masturbation compatible with God's ownership of our bodies and His glory? I don't think so. I am at a loss as to how the act could glorify God.

My own feeling is that Scripture only clearly affirms sexual activity between a man and his wife.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
ladybug01 said:
Where does the Bible say it is ok to touch? Where does the Bible say that the Holy Ghost will convict us all individually regarding spiritual matters and give us different answers? Truth, if it is True, cannot be contradicted. It is right in all circumstances and for every person, or wrong in all circumstances and for everyone.

You're going to have to take this up with Paul.

1 Corinthians 10:23-33
23 Everything is permissible— but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible— but not everything is constructive.
24 Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others.

25 Eat anything sold in the meat market without raising questions of conscience,

26 for, The earth is the Lord's, and everything in it.

27 If some unbeliever invites you to a meal and you want to go, eat whatever is put before you without raising questions of conscience.

28 But if anyone says to you, This has been offered in sacrifice, then do not eat it, both for the sake of the man who told you and for conscience' sake
29 the other man's conscience, I mean, not yours. For why should my freedom be judged by another's conscience?
30 If I take part in the meal with thankfulness, why am I denounced because of something I thank God for?
31 So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
32 Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God—

33 even as I try to please everybody in every way. For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.

Here we have Paul discussing the issue of eating meet that had previously been offered to idols in idol worship before it ended up in the butcher shop. Some Christians thought it was fine to eat (as does Paul) but other Christians clearly think it is wrong. And while Paul tells us to be concerned about what others think, he does not tell the non-eaters to start chowing down, and he does not tell the eaters that they must stop.

There is not, according to the Bible, one correct thing to do here.

There are some actions that clearly are always wrong, but obviously not all actions. I think that scripture's silence on the matter makes it clear that mastrubation is not an issue about which Christians need to march in lock-step.

shataytay said:
I don't know about the candy example. With touching yourself there's a certain amount of shame that goes along with it... a desire to hide it. With candy you don't really feel that embarrasment. Still, I see your point.

There are many things that are done in private not becasue of shame, but becasue they should simply be private. I have never been ashamed of having sex with my husband, but I choose to do that in a private location and hide our activities from the neighbors.

Upvote 0
L

ladybug01

Well on certain things, though I know what you are saying, it is wrong for one man to do something, while another it's fine. I can eat meat, while my brother may not be able to because he feels guilty. However, I do agree with you that masturbation is impure and shouldn't be practiced.

No, something is either right or wrong. Like I said, it cannot be both ok and not ok to commit murder. It cannot both be ok and not ok to do other things, as well.

Could you please justify with scripture that we are not allowed to touch?
Mastubation includes lust for another's body. It always involves some form of fantasy. That is explicitly condemned by Christ and the Prophets.

I guess it would also be nice to see examples of God smiting people for masturbating. Lucky for us it appears that the CF members here who do touch seem to be doing alright. Also, I'd like to see the direct results of the sin that is masturbating.
I guess it would also be nice to see examples of God smiting people for murder, adultry, lying, stealing. The claim that "God smiting people makes something a sin" does not hold water.

Murder is a sin, it's kind of ruining the life of the person you just killed. Adultery is a sin, it's kind of mean to the person you cheated on. Lying is a sin, it generally hurts the person you lied to. Masturbation is a sin, it's...well...I can't think of anything other than "because I say so!"
It trains the person to receive instant gratification and to view his sexual partner as one capable of doing anything for him. That leads to an unhappiness in marriage, and possibly adultry. Besides, all sin hurts God.

1 Corinthians 10:23-33
23 Everything is permissible— but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible— but not everything is constructive.

So, according to St. Paul, it's perfectly alright for me to steal your life savings? Everything is permissible, you know.
Clearly, this is not right- we must use common sense when interpreting Scripture. That everything is permissible is indeed true in instances where the actions are not in and of themselves wrong- like eating meat, but may be made wrong by certain circumstances, such as causing scandel.

Upvote 0

Shizzle

Mar 19, 2005
✟8,792.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
Masturbation cannot be wrong because:
these are the following scenarios

A- it is wrong
If it were wrong, it would have at least been in the book of leviticus where it talked against inappropriate behavior with animals and all other weird things. But it isnt mentioned or inferred to.
this scenario is not supported by reality
B- its not wrong
If it wasnt wrong, excactly this would be. Do we expect that the bible would randomly say "its okay to touch" any where? No, it doesnt do it with other things, why should it with this?
this scenario matches reality

We cannot take societys view on things, as americas puritanical-based view on sexuality. You cannot logically or biblically say that because its not talked about, its wrong. If that were the case then the bible would probaly be three times as big.

Upvote 0

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
ladybug01 said:
No, something is either right or wrong. Like I said, it cannot be both ok and not ok to commit murder. It cannot both be ok and not ok to do other things, as well.

You are ignoring the fact that the Bible has claerly addressed issues like murder, lying, stealing and gossiping. They are all sin. All the time. There is no argument there!

What we are discussing here is a matter that the Bible does not address specifically and about which Christians disagree... which is parallel to the issue Christians faced when Paul was writing letters to them, the eating of meat that had been offered to idols. Paul did not declare either camp wrong or right!

Mastubation includes lust for another's body. It always involves some form of fantasy. That is explicitly condemned by Christ and the Prophets.

WEll, thanks for sharing far more of your life and thoughts than most of us probably care to know!

I guess it would also be nice to see examples of God smiting people for murder, adultry, lying, stealing. The claim that "God smiting people makes something a sin" does not hold water.

Well, in point of fact, the Bible does give us several examples of God smiting people who committed those sins... Ananias and Sapphria,
Achan and his family, David, whose son Nathanial was taken from him becasue of his sin of murder and adultry... the list could go on.

It trains the person to receive instant gratification and to view his sexual partner as one capable of doing anything for him. That leads to an unhappiness in marriage, and possibly adultry. Besides, all sin hurts God.

I'm gong to assume that you are not married (please correct me if I'm wrong) or, if you are married, it has been for a short while. So, these things you are saying about masturbation and instant gratification and being tempted into adultry I am also going to assume you "know" becasue this is what people - youth leaders, pastors or your parents - have told you. When it comes to sex, hardly anyone tells the whole truth. They don't think it's wise for unmarried young adults to hear the whole truth. They are repeating how they were told it is supposed to be. They are telling you what they want you to do, which is not necessarily what they did or what they choose to do. Bottom line, most Christian parents are not all that comfortable with their own or other people's children being sexual beings. And so their perspective on such matters is not always very helpful.

So, according to St. Paul, it's perfectly alright for me to steal your life savings? Everything is permissible, you know.

You know full well no one is arguing that stealing is right.

Clearly, this is not right- we must use common sense when interpreting Scripture. That everything is permissible is indeed true in instances where the actions are not in and of themselves wrong- like eating meat, but may be made wrong by certain circumstances, such as causing scandel.

Again, on what basis can you say that mastrubation is in and of itself wrong? You have told us that you would be lusting if you did it, but others tell us they do not lust when they mastrubate. Clearly it would be wrong for you, but not for everyone. No one is trying to persuade you to mastrubate!

Upvote 0

Jatopian

Feb 20, 2005
Jatopia
✟8,071.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
ladybug01 said:
Really? Highlight if you are not prudish: but I have managed it without.
I have reread the New Testament several times, but I cannot find Christ condemning lust when one is not actually looking at the person.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.