Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hello everyone! To those of you who don't know me my name is Dillon and I used to be a United Methodist but switched church membership to the Church of the Nazarene. I am currently in the process of beginning ordination within the church and barring nothing catastrophic happens will anticipate getting my local minister's license next month. The first steps in ministry of course always begins with getting the right education. For becoming an Elder in the Church of the Nazarene there are three education paths that are available but for the sake of this thread I just want to focus on two. The first path is obtaining a Master of Arts in Pastoral Ministry which is a two year program which is becoming more popular in seminaries. The next path is the classical one which I'm sure everyone is familiar with which is getting a Master of Divinity. So some questions I just wanted to ask Pastors, Lay Ministers, or really anyone who has some sort of experience in this sort of field are which degree field would you recommend and what are the pros and cons of each degree program? Ultimately I just want to get the best degree which would help prepare me for a lifetime of commitment to Christ and the church. Any and all advice is welcome especially from other denominations in the Wesleyan tradition.

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,935.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm an Anglican, so take my comments for whatever you feel they're worth...

I'm not familiar with the MA (Pastoral Ministry) but after looking at some course outlines just now, the shorter and less comprehensive course does seem to have some things missing which I would feel are important. (No Biblical languages, little or no church history, no homiletics, just for a start).

Of course the questions of "How much study is enough?" And "What is absolutely essential?" can be endlessly debated, but I'd be inclined to doubt that a two-year programme is going to equip you as much as you would like. (Of course, no degree can ever fully equip you, and part of ministry is a commitment to ongoing professional development, but it's about giving yourself a good solid starting point).

I don't know if that's helpful, but I'm happy to talk more about my experience or answer any questions I can, if you'd like.

Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟936,880.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm not clergy, but I have served in various capacities on committees considering extending a call to clergy candidates. I must say I'd have a bias toward M.Div. It's sort of the gold standard, if you will, or at least that which is more familiar to most people. This is a subjective statement obviously, completely lacking in objective review of courses as Padiske has done above. It's sort of like would you prefer to have your heart surgery done by a medical doctor or doctor of osteopathy? Both might be competent, but one rings better to most ears, if for no other reason due to increased familiarity.

There's my opinion, chocked full of biases.

Upvote 0

Rawtheran

Lightmaker For Christ
Jan 3, 2014
Ohio
✟46,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm an Anglican, so take my comments for whatever you feel they're worth...

I'm not familiar with the MA (Pastoral Ministry) but after looking at some course outlines just now, the shorter and less comprehensive course does seem to have some things missing which I would feel are important. (No Biblical languages, little or no church history, no homiletics, just for a start).

Of course the questions of "How much study is enough?" And "What is absolutely essential?" can be endlessly debated, but I'd be inclined to doubt that a two-year programme is going to equip you as much as you would like. (Of course, no degree can ever fully equip you, and part of ministry is a commitment to ongoing professional development, but it's about giving yourself a good solid starting point).

I don't know if that's helpful, but I'm happy to talk more about my experience or answer any questions I can, if you'd like.
Thank you for the share! I actually got saved in a Church of England when I was 16. I'd be more than happy to hear about your journey.

Upvote 0

Rawtheran

Lightmaker For Christ
Jan 3, 2014
Ohio
✟46,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm not clergy, but I have served in various capacities on committees considering extending a call to clergy candidates. I must say I'd have a bias toward M.Div. It's sort of the gold standard, if you will, or at least that which is more familiar to most people. This is a subjective statement obviously, completely lacking in objective review of courses as Padiske has done above. It's sort of like would you prefer to have your heart surgery done by a medical doctor or doctor of osteopathy? Both might be competent, but one rings better to most ears, if for no other reason due to increased familiarity.

There's my opinion, chocked full of biases.
Still things to take into consideration, thanks for the feedback!

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am an elder in a Messianic congregation. I have been in contact with Wesley Seminary (Indiana Wesleyan University) on their Master of Ministerial Arts program. I will probably be starting the program late spring or summer term.

100% of the course work is applicable to an Mdiv should I want to go that route.

FYI, they can do their program on line, and there are tuition breaks for being in ministry even part time (or volunteer) and for ministering in a Methodist or Church of Nazarene congregation.

Upvote 0

Rawtheran

Lightmaker For Christ
Jan 3, 2014
Ohio
✟46,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You are already attending a church of the hardens, so you have a source of advice in the minister serving there what does he say?
For my Pastor the choice to go into ministry was a second career so he did not go to seminary but instead completed his coursework through a certification course. His advice was to pretty much pick an educational path that would be the best for my situation. The reason I came on here is because there are many ministers and others who have an MDIV or a Masters degree of some sorts that applies to ministry so I was just seeking their advice to help consider my options.

Upvote 0

Rawtheran

Lightmaker For Christ
Jan 3, 2014
Ohio
✟46,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am an elder in a Messianic congregation. I have been in contact with Wesley Seminary (Indiana Wesleyan University) on their Master of Ministerial Arts program. I will probably be starting the program late spring or summer term.

100% of the course work is applicable to an Mdiv should I want to go that route.

FYI, they can do their program on line, and there are tuition breaks for being in ministry even part time (or volunteer) and for ministering in a Methodist or Church of Nazarene congregation.
Dave, congratulations! I really appreciate you giving me a heads up! I actually don't live too far from Marion, Indiana where Wesley Seminary is located so I will for sure check it out!

Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums