Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
From your article:

0.0018% of the vaccinated population.

Covid has killed 18,121 people in Massachusetts, or 0.263% of the entire population. IOW, unvaccinated Massachusetts residents roughly 145x more likely to die from covid than vaccinated residents.

Are you so bad at math that you think an improvement of 14,500% is not effective? Or are you being deliberately, dishonestly contrarian?

Why are you questioning my math? All I did was post what the article said. Take up any issues about math with NBC.

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"Safe and effective"=5,166 sick and 80 dead.
Ironically, "one death is just too many" when it came to the actual virus killing people, so we were expected to take drastic measures, yet when 80(or any number of people) die from vaccines, it's "a small insignificant number".

I'm so exhausted by the vaccine cult.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Subdood

Jul 14, 2008
Cloud 8.95
✟44,468.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ironically, "one death is just too many" when it came to the actual virus killing people, so we were expected to take drastic measures, yet when 80 people or more die from vaccines, it's "a small insignificant number".

You wouldn't be... if only you'd get vaccinated. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I have no idea who/what that is.

Valneva and Sinovax only have emergency use outside of the USA.
Our own CDC says that deactivated vaccines* are better for people with "immune dysregulation" (like my family), but they are not available here. Less of their design is experimental, and we would get them if they were available.

*Valneva is expected to have a quality advantage over Sinovax, but we would even take the latter over current choices. And mRNA vaccines haven't been studied for immune dysregulation, specifically.

I don't personally think that's a wise delay. Inactivated viruses are not great at promoting Tcell responses which are important for COVID clearance and immune memory, and what Tcell responses they do generate (including the wrong ones) is adjuvant dependent. You might be better off with the Az or J&J vaccine, as adeno based vaccines are well studied and generate better T cell responses.

Upvote 0

Ponderous Curmudgeon

Feb 20, 2021
Newfield
✟38,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I have no idea who/what that is.

Valneva and Sinovax only have emergency use outside of the USA.
Our own CDC says that deactivated vaccines* are better for people with "immune dysregulation" (like my family), but they are not available here. Less of their design is experimental, and we would get them if they were available.

*Valneva is expected to have a quality advantage over Sinovax, but we would even take the latter over current choices. And mRNA vaccines haven't been studied for immune dysregulation, specifically.
Granted, there is much we do not know about Covid and various vaccines and in individual circumstances intelligent skepticism is warranted, that is what good doctors are for. especially those dealing with non-common problems. That said, for the general populace and you as well, it is better that we all get vaccinated that can.

• Friendly
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟650,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Ironically, "one death is just too many" when it came to the actual virus killing people, so we were expected to take drastic measures, yet when 80 people or more die from vaccines, it's "a small insignificant number".

The 80 deaths in this case aren't even from the vaccines. They're from Covid itself, AFTER being fully vaccinated.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,204,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

You do realize that when the rare case of a vaccinated person dying from covid happens, they're not "dying from the vaccine", right?

Nobody ever claimed that vaccines were 100% effective. The expectation was that they'd greatly reduce the risk of hospitalization and death from the disease...which the statistics posted in this thread show they're accomplishing quite well.

Some people will still die in car accidents even if they're wearing seat belt, that doesn't mean that seat belts don't reduce the risk of death during a car accident.

Reactions: Brihaha
Upvote 0

.Jeremiah.

Jul 26, 2021
The South
✟21,473.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Rare" breakthrough infections are sickening and killing people in Massachusetts.

More than 5,100 Massachusetts residents have tested positive for COVID-19, despite being fully vaccinated against the virus, and at least 80 of them have died, state health officials said Tuesday night.

The latest update from the state Department of Public Health comes as coronavirus metrics continue to creep up in the Bay State while the more contagious delta variant keeps spreading in the U.S.

The so-called breakthrough cases — where fully vaccinated individuals test positive for coronavirus — have so far been rare, but are possible. And should even be expected, per the CDC.

As of July 17, a total of 5,166 breakthrough cases had been reported to the state DPH. Of those, 272 people were hospitalized and survived. Of the 80 people who died, 23 died without being hospitalized; 57 died following a hospital stay.
More Than 5,100 Breakthrough COVID Cases Reported in Mass.; at Least 80 Have Died

I posted this on the other Covid thread:

“It does seem logical.

Nothing odd about it.

If 100% of a population is vaccinated, 100% of cases would be with vaccinated people.”

Also, if 10% of a population is vaccinated, most cases will be the unvaccinated.

It is just math, nothing mysterious.

• Agree
Reactions: Sodafox
Upvote 0

Subdood

Jul 14, 2008
Cloud 8.95
✟44,468.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think innumeracy has outstripped illiteracy as a problem in this country. :(
Only among 30% of the overall 120% is this actually an issue, and then only 10% of half the time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟650,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I posted this on the other Covid thread:

“It does seem logical.

Nothing odd about it.

If 100% of a population is vaccinated, 100% of cases would be with vaccinated people.”

Also, if 10% of a population is vaccinated, most cases will be the unvaccinated.

It is just math, nothing mysterious.

How many people vaccinated against Smallpox have died from Smallpox this year?

• Useful
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"Rare" breakthrough infections are sickening and killing people in Massachusetts.

More than 5,100 Massachusetts residents have tested positive for COVID-19, despite being fully vaccinated against the virus, and at least 80 of them have died, state health officials said Tuesday night.

The latest update from the state Department of Public Health comes as coronavirus metrics continue to creep up in the Bay State while the more contagious delta variant keeps spreading in the U.S.

The so-called breakthrough cases — where fully vaccinated individuals test positive for coronavirus — have so far been rare, but are possible. And should even be expected, per the CDC.

As of July 17, a total of 5,166 breakthrough cases had been reported to the state DPH. Of those, 272 people were hospitalized and survived. Of the 80 people who died, 23 died without being hospitalized; 57 died following a hospital stay.
More Than 5,100 Breakthrough COVID Cases Reported in Mass.; at Least 80 Have Died
But...but...Florida...

Upvote 0

Ponderous Curmudgeon

Feb 20, 2021
Newfield
✟38,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Interesting question, do you have any data and can you show us how this might be relevant to the current Covid situation?

Upvote 0

.Jeremiah.

Jul 26, 2021
The South
✟21,473.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

That is an irrelevant question.

IF smallpox appears, and IF people get it, it will likely be the vaccinated.

So, what was your question again?

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

.0018% isn’t rare? What is the percentage for the unvaccinated?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I think we better drop the word "rare". Obviously it's not rare at all to get covid even if you are fully vaxed.

What’s your idea of rare? Going by these numbers, the likelihood of dying from covid after being vaccinated is about 1 in 54,000.

Why are you questioning my math? All I did was post what the article said. Take up any issues about math with NBC.

No, that isn’t all you did. You put “rare” and “safe & effective” in scare quotes. Don’t be disingenuous.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟650,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Interesting question, do you have any data and can you show us how this might be relevant to the current Covid situation?

Absolutely!
The Covid vaccines are (were) claimed to be 95% effective, and yet we're still seeing hospitalizations and deaths that give it an actual effectiveness closer to 34%

As for the Smallpox vaccine, according to the CDC:
"Historically, the vaccine has been effective in preventing smallpox infection in 95% of those vaccinated. In addition, the vaccine was proven to prevent or substantially lessen infection when given within a few days after a person was exposed to the variola virus."
Vaccine Basics | Smallpox | CDC

That's right. 95%.

So I ask again, how many people vaccinated against Smallpox have died from Smallpox this year?

• Winner
Reactions: ForHimbyHim
Upvote 0