• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Massachusettes sees at least 80 deaths from Covid among the vaccinated

Discussion in 'News & Current Events (Articles Required)' started by Aldebaran, Aug 11, 2021.

1. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Star Power!

+8,675
    Non-Denom
    Single
    "Rare" breakthrough infections are sickening and killing people in Massachusetts.

More than 5,100 Massachusetts residents have tested positive for COVID-19, despite being fully vaccinated against the virus, and at least 80 of them have died, state health officials said Tuesday night.

The latest update from the state Department of Public Health comes as coronavirus metrics continue to creep up in the Bay State while the more contagious delta variant keeps spreading in the U.S.

The so-called breakthrough cases — where fully vaccinated individuals test positive for coronavirus — have so far been rare, but are possible. And should even be expected, per the CDC.

As of July 17, a total of 5,166 breakthrough cases had been reported to the state DPH. Of those, 272 people were hospitalized and survived. Of the 80 people who died, 23 died without being hospitalized; 57 died following a hospital stay.
    More Than 5,100 Breakthrough COVID Cases Reported in Mass.; at Least 80 Have Died

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Ponderous Curmudgeon

Ponderous Curmudgeon Well-Known Member

+469
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    Yeah, so, do you have a point? As vaccination becomes more prevalent, then so will disease amongst the vaccinated. This is simple math. Nothing here is an argument against vaccination, in fact it is exactly what one would expect with a vaccination hesitant community.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. Sketcher

Sketcher Born Imperishable

+8,021
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    Given the population density of Boston especially, I am not surprised.

4. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Star Power!

+8,675
    Non-Denom
    Single

"Safe and effective"=5,166 sick and 80 dead.

5. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints! Supporter

+5,550
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
  6. rambot

rambot Senior Member

+8,789
    Christian
    Married
    CA-Greens
    Did you not include all relevant data to try and prove a point?

7. iluvatar5150

iluvatar5150 Well-Known Member

+19,743
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    From your article:
    0.0018% of the vaccinated population.

Covid has killed 18,121 people in Massachusetts, or 0.263% of the entire population. IOW, unvaccinated Massachusetts residents roughly 145x more likely to die from covid than vaccinated residents.

Are you so bad at math that you think an improvement of 14,500% is not effective? Or are you being deliberately, dishonestly contrarian?

• Winner Winner x 15
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member Supporter

+8,825
    United Kingdom
    Baptist
    Private
    Come on OP, you may not want it yourself but twisting or just flat out misunderstanding statistics isn’t helping anyone

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. dzheremi

dzheremi Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian

+11,792
    Oriental Orthodox
    Private
    This thread is embarrassing. :doh:

Good thing the OP's misunderstanding of statistics has no actual effect on the efficacy of the vaccine.

10. Nithavela

Nithavela Cool catchphrase goes here

+15,524
    Germany
    Other Religion
    Single
    I agree, this is horrible. Without the vaccine it would be 51660 sick and 800 dead.

11. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member Supporter

+8,825
    United Kingdom
    Baptist
    Private
    Very embarrassing indeed.

12. rturner76

rturner76 Domine non-sum dignus Supporter

+2,241
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Green
    You're good at math. I never got through algebra and I barely got through decimals/percentages with many errors.

Can you unpack some of these equations for someone with GED-level math? I want to be able to help people understand the risks involved with not getting vaccinated. Straight-up mathematics might bring some people around.

13. Ponderous Curmudgeon

+469
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    First, there are lots of old school vaccines, so far none of them have performed as well as the mRNA vaccines. see sinovax or gamelya etc.
    Beyond that, are you trying to hype Geerd whatshisnames universal vaccine that we are just supposed to wait for?

14. Ponderous Curmudgeon

+469
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    Thank you for saving me a few minutes on the innertubes.

15. renniks

renniks Well-Known Member

+2,983
    Christian
    Married
    I think we better drop the word "rare". Obviously it's not rare at all to get covid even if you are fully vaxed.

16. Elliewaves

Elliewaves Untouchable internet saint

+1,892
    Non-Denom
    Engaged
    I thought the OP was vaccinated herself?

17. Subdood

Subdood Well-Known Member

+18,798
    Christian
    Married
    Yeah, but that's what - 80 out of 495.3 million billion trillion gazillion Massachusetts residents?

80 out of that?

I mean, c'mon. That'd only be a relevant statistic if the 80 were being paid less than minimum wage and were non-white transgendered students who think Karl Marx invented economics and are still living in their parent's basement with 'free' room, board, internet and wifi and worried if their girlfriend is pregnant or not.

Tragic though their deaths might be to local community organizers itching to meet their annual quotas, 80 is otherwise hardly a number of concern.

/ :tonguewink:

(PS. Thanks for the OP)

18. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints! Supporter

+5,550
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    I have no idea who/what that is.

Valneva and Sinovax only have emergency use outside of the USA.
    Our own CDC says that deactivated vaccines* are better for people with "immune dysregulation" (like my family), but they are not available here. Less of their design is experimental, and we would get them if they were available.

*Valneva is expected to have a quality advantage over Sinovax, but we would even take the latter over current choices. And mRNA vaccines haven't been studied for immune dysregulation, specifically.

19. ThatRobGuy

ThatRobGuy Part of the IT crowd Supporter

+10,530
    United States
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Others
    This is all great news!

Based on the numbers you're posting, the vaccinations are having a definitive positive effect.

Mass. keeps pretty detailed records of their vaccination statistics.

So, of the 5 million vaccinated residents of Mass. (or 70% of the pop.), there have been only 5100 cases of covid breakthrough infections (0.1%), with only 272 people being hospitalized (0.005%), and 80 people dying (0.0015%)

Sounds like the vaccines are doing the exact thing they were aimed at doing, which is greatly reducing the severity of covid for the overwhelming majority of people who get it.

The Mass. stats for the vaccinated are looking way better than the stats for the unvaccinated.

What the data you've posted shows, is that if one is vaccinated against covid, covid is less dangerous to them that the flu.

Thanks for sharing this info!

Hopefully the stats you've posted here, showing the irrefutable benefits of vaccination, will encourage everyone to make the right decision and get vaccinated.

Keep up the good work!

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  20. Ponderous Curmudgeon

+469
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    Sorry, I was referring to https://vaxopedia.org/2021/03/14/who-is-geert-vanden-bossche/
    I will spend some time since I am ignorant of Valneva being a typical USAian. Though the understanding seems to be that the mRNA vaccines are a significant step forward from tradiitional vaccine production methods.