Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So I have learned much about Mary's role from Catholicism that was a big gear shift from my protestant past. Much of it is good, but at times it feels like they go overboard.

Does Orthodoxy view Mary as sinless her whole life, from birth? How does the Immaculate Conception get viewed. It seems Original Sin is viewed differently as well?

Thanks!

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So I have learned much about Mary's role from Catholicism that was a big gear shift from my protestant past. Much of it is good, but at times it feels like they go overboard.

Does Orthodoxy view Mary as sinless her whole life, from birth? How does the Immaculate Conception get viewed. It seems Original Sin is viewed differently as well?

Thanks!

she is sinless, by grace and not by nature (unlike her Son). but not because of the removal of original guilt (so we reject the Immaculate Conception), but because she cooperated with God from the beginning.

Reactions: rusmeister
Upvote 0

☦Marius☦

Murican
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2017
North Carolina (Charlotte)
✟268,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Thanks!

We don't accept the Immaculate Conception, and what Matt said was correct.

However there is no consensus over whether she never sinned, or just never sinned after a certain time (achieved early theosis)

• Agree
Reactions: Jesus4Madrid
Upvote 0