packermann

Nov 30, 2003
Northwest Suburbs of Chicago, IL
✟45,845.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Republican
Okay, but his mother was the issue here and you were suggesting that he treated her better than the Scriptural records him doing.

That is your interpretation. My interpretation, which is the interpretation of Christians for 2,000 years, is that Jesus crowned her in heaven ( Revelation 12). In heaven, our Lord showed how He really felt about her. It matters not how we are treated in this world; it only matters in heaven when we receive a crown of glory.

I still have to wonder if you aren't just making that up.

I have to wonder you say this because you have no logical counter-argument.

Then to be effective at that--to be accurate, even--you would had to have made your case USING typical Protestant denominations.

The problem is that your criteria is subjective. What is a typical Protestant denomination?
Of the largest American denominations include Southern Baptist and Assemblies of God. I don't recall you mentioning them. And why should that be the criteria? Who decided that?

Arguably, not a single one of the religious bodies you chose to use as evidence of your claim is Protestant. They're just not Catholics.

As I told you, I never said that these religious bodies were Protestant - which by your argument is an impossibility. And I agree because of your circular argument. Protestants believe in the deity of Christ. So any body that rejects the deity of Christ cannot be Protestant. But the problem is that you do not have a magisterium who can determine what a true Protestant church must believe. It is all a matter of opinion.

Upvote 0

Alistair_Wonderland

Apr 14, 2018
New Philadelphia
✟28,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Please do!

I cannot speak for all Catholics. Most Catholics do not take their Faith seriously. They only know their Faith by hearsay. My own sister thinks that the Eucharist is only a symbol and that abortion is OK. But the Catholic Church officially that Mary had no other children. That does not mean that Jesus could not have had brothers. Joseph could have been widower and had children from that marriage. The is a document written in the second century, the Protoevangelium of James, that says this. So it seems that this was the belief of the Early Church.

Another theory is that in that Jewish culture there was no word for cousin, so they would use the word "brother" or "sister". Mark 6:3 show Mary having a sister named Mary, which makes more sense if the word "sister"means "cousin".

Like the previous answer, I cannot speak for all Catholics. I cannot say all believe this, but they all should - since this is what the Church teaches.

The second question is a little trickier. It is God's sovereignty versus man's responsibility. It is all by God's grace, but we still have a free will. It is a mystery. St. Augustine said that when we pray we should pray as if it all depended on God and when we work we should work as if it all depended on us. So I would sat it was all by the grace of God and yet she was always free to say yes or no to God. But I would lean more towards it being God's doing.

This is the same thing that atheists say about us Christians in general - that Jesus is an intermediary between us and an angry Father. But the Father sent His Son to die on the cross, and we Catholics believe that Jesus gave us His mother to be our mother as well. It is not that Mary loves us more than Jesus does.She could never love us more than Jesus. But Jesus understands our psychological make-up. He knows how comforting it is to have a mother.

My father and mother both loved me. But my father was more stern on me than my mother was. He had to. I understand that now. And even though Jesus loved me that He died for me, the Bible makes it clear that we must all stand before the judgment seat of Christ. Jesus have have to judge me. Although He is all-loving he is still all-just. But Mary will not be my judge. She is like my human mother, only more so. But it is Jesus who gave me His mother.

I also agree that a non-devotion to Mary does not mean a Christian is going to hell. But it tremendously helps me to love Jesus. And I am not saying that I love Jesus more than any Protestant. I try not to compare myself with others. I only compare myself to my old self. I love Jesus more than before. I believe a devotion to Mary would help anyone. That does not mean that they without Mary are not better Christians than I am with her. That is definitely possible. There was a lot of bad stuff in me that the Lord had to work with.

Thank you very much. This was very informative, and has helped to clear up some incorrect thinking I (and many other Protestants) have been taught. God bless, and peace out, homie!

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That is your interpretation.

There's not much "interpretation" required. Anyone familiar with the Gospels knows the events I had in mind. It's not that I prefer it that way, but it's undeniable; and we could, if you wish, go through all the relevant moments in Christ's life in order to show that it is so. We could then talk over how they might some us something other than the apparent coolness that Jesus showed towards his mother.

As I told you, I never said that these religious bodies were Protestant - which by your argument is an impossibility.
Take another look at that post.

You wrote: "But large segment of liberal Protestantism denies the deity of Christ. Look at the Unitarians. And the founders of the Jehovah Witnesses, Mormons, non-Trinitarian Adventism and Christian Science were once Protestants.

Upvote 0

His student

Jan 10, 2019
Northwest
✟48,602.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In Luke 1:43, Elizabeth calls Mary the mother of her Lord. Among Jews, there is only one Lord, the great I AM, Yahweh, the One who delivered the Israelites from Egypt, the One who created the heavens and the earth. Elizabeth, being filled with the Holy Spirit, said that Mary was carrying in her womb their Lord God.
Elisabeth did not say that Mary only bore a human who would later become God, or that she bore a human that would later become God, or that she only bore the human nature of the God. No! A mother is not a mother of a nature. A mother is a mother of a person, in this case, a divine person.
As they like to say at Geico, "everyone knows that".
This does not mean she is is the mother of the Trinity. She is the mother of the second Person Trinity. But that does not mean that she is less of the mother of God. Jesus is not one-third God. That would make him a demigod. But the Bible say He is fully God. Colossians 2:9 says that all the fullness of Deity dwells in Jesus.
Certainly the scriptures are clear that all the fullness of Deity dwells in Jesus.
The doctrine of the Trinity is debatable.
But she is the mother of the Lord. And what son would treat his mother as if she was just a servant. I know that if my mother was still alive and I somehow came into a lot of money, I would want my mother to live in my mansion with me. And she would be in the room right next to me. And I would expect any servants we have would treat her with the same respect they do to me. If anyone would accuse me of treating my mother any less than that I would consider it as an insult to my personally.
Which makes me think that Mary is among the elect of God and seated with Christ in Heaven with the rest of us Christians.
And yet some Christians treat our Lord as having less love for His own mother than we would have to pour own! They see that our great God and Savior is so insecure that He feels threatened if we show any love or respect to His mother! My God is too great for that!
Where on earth have you seen that? I never have seen such disrespect for Mary from the Lord in the scriptures or from believers here on earth..

Jesus had so much love and respect for His Mother that she was the last person He made earthly provision for while He hung on the cross by linking her with John for the rest of their lives.

Again - I have never seen a believer disrespect the Lord's mother.
To lower the status of Mary is to lower the glory of Jesus! Denial of Mary's divine motherhood often leads to the denial of the divinity of Christ.
Pure nonsense IMO. Mary get just as much status as the rest of us. She is likely seated with Christ in Heaven just as the rest of us are.

The denial of the divinity of Christ usually has nothing whatsoever with the person we all respect - Mary His mother.
No matter how liberal Catholic theologians may be they do not deny the divinity of Christ. .
The devil believes in the divinity of Christ - so what?
How could they deny the divinity of Christ if they believe in the Mary being the mother of God.
They cannot and obviously do not.
But large segment of liberal Protestantism denies the deity of Christ. Look at the Unitarians. And the founders of the Jehovah Witnesses, Mormons, non-Trinitarian Adventism and Christian Science were once Protestants. See The Rise of Protestant Liberalism | Tabletalk for liberal Protestant theologians who denied the deity of Christ.
But large segment of liberal Protestantism denies the deity of Christ. Look at the Unitarians. And the founders of the Jehovah Witnesses, Mormons, non-Trinitarian Adventism and Christian Science were once Protestants. See The Rise of Protestant Liberalism | Tabletalk for liberal Protestant theologians who denied the deity of Christ.
Absolutely right.
There is a Catholic saying: Know Mary, know Jesus; no Mary, no Jesus. The less we see of Mary the less we see of Jesus.
Obviously no Mary, no Jesus, Unless of course God had placed His special favor on Jane instead of Mary.

The second statement is simply silly. Like John the Baptist - she would certainly desire to decrease that the Lord might increase. Being the Godly person she is - she would no doubt agree wholeheartedly.
But having a high view of Mary gives us an even higher view of God.
Not necessarily.
Mary said that her soul magnifies the Lord (Luke 1:46). When I say "praise Mary!", she then says "PRAISE JESUS"!
What a silly twisting of the scriptures.
When I think of her sinlessness, I think of the awesome majesty and purity of God. God cannot stand sin at all. It is repugnant to Him. He was not going to tolerate being in the womb of a sinful woman for nine months. No way! She must be pure as He is pure. When I think of the perpetual virginity, I again think of the utter holiness of God. No sinful man could approach the habitation of God. The ark of the covenant contained the Ten Commandments. No man could open it or even touch it! It was holy. How much more could no sinful man touch the woman who bore God! Joseph feared God too much to ever try this! All this made me see God in all His holiness. And it showed me His love.
Pure heresy. Mary would be turning ove in her grave if she could.
He did not just impregnate her and then after cast herself aside and just treated her like one of her servants.
No ones says He did. Read His words from the cross to her and to the Apostle John.
No. First of all, the angel did not come to announce to her that she will be pregnant with the Son of God. Gabriel come to propose. To impregnate her without her permission would be rape! Instead, she must consent. She could freely say "yes" or "no". God gave Adman and Eve a free will. They chose to say "no". Think of all of the hardships in this fallen world because of their "no" to God. But whereas Eve said "yes" to the devil Mary said "yes" to the angel. As Even contributed to our fall, Mary contributed to our redemption. In a small way, yes, compared to what Jesus did. But she contributed. If she had said "no" to the angel then maybe God had an alternate plan. Or maybe not. Maybe her disobedience would be the last straw for God, and He will let us perish in our sins. After all, He did not come to redeem the devil and his demons. He did not have to save us. Or maybe, since God is outside of time, He knew beforehand that Mary would say yes. Whatever! I imagine that all the angels were waiting to hear her answer.
Not that you surprise me - giving as much authority to traditions as the Word of God as you group does. But this simply goes beyond what the scriptures tell us.
He will always treat her like His beloved mother. He crowned her as the Queen of Heaven - with twelve stars as a crown on her head and clothed with the sun (Son) . See Revelation 12. What love He had for her! It gives me comfort that He treats His mother the way we would expect a good son to treat his own mother. It comforts me in knowing that I, too, will be loved - not in the same way but I will still be loved. So Mary has not detracted away my love for Christ. Instead, she has magnified it.
You have obviously been taught not only what is not in the scriptures but in some respect out and out heresy.
God cannot stand sin at all. It is repugnant to Him. He was not going to tolerate being in the womb of a sinful woman for nine months. No way! She must be pure as He is pure. When I think of the perpetual virginity, I again think of the utter holiness of God.
If she was sinless she would not have had to bring the offering for atonement specified in Leviticus 12:8 which was spelled out for us in Luke chapter 2 that she did.

The perpetual virginity of Mary is so un biblical as not even deserve further comment.

Your leaders have led you astray.

No doubt Catholics will agree with your assessment. No doubt most believers in the authority of the scriptures will reject your assessment.

No need to get back to me. Since you will be guided by scripture alone it would be like casting pearls before swine (no offense - it's just a term the Lord coined for us - you'll find it in the scriptures along with the other things I have pointed out to you)

I just wanted the opportunity to tell you that your beliefs are not only not correct but that you teaching them to other believers will garner you a more strict judgment than if you had kept themselves between you and the leaders of your cult.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Jesus fulfilled the 4th Commandment perfectly. I dont think any human could comprehend the way in which He treated His mother.
I would be willing to bet that Jesus treated both of His parents with the utmost respect, as it is commanded... Mary was His mother but still needed salvation from Him, as we all do.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I would be willing to bet that Jesus treated both of His parents with the utmost respect, as it is commanded... Mary was His mother but still needed salvation from Him, as we all do.
Agreed, but mere respect is not the issue that was raised in this thread.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Please do!

I cannot speak for all Catholics. Most Catholics do not take their Faith seriously. They only know their Faith by hearsay. My own sister thinks that the Eucharist is only a symbol and that abortion is OK. But the Catholic Church officially that Mary had no other children. That does not mean that Jesus could not have had brothers. Joseph could have been widower and had children from that marriage. The is a document written in the second century, the Protoevangelium of James, that says this. So it seems that this was the belief of the Early Church.

Another theory is that in that Jewish culture there was no word for cousin, so they would use the word "brother" or "sister". Mark 6:3 show Mary having a sister named Mary, which makes more sense if the word "sister"means "cousin".

Like the previous answer, I cannot speak for all Catholics. I cannot say all believe this, but they all should - since this is what the Church teaches.

The second question is a little trickier. It is God's sovereignty versus man's responsibility. It is all by God's grace, but we still have a free will. It is a mystery. St. Augustine said that when we pray we should pray as if it all depended on God and when we work we should work as if it all depended on us. So I would sat it was all by the grace of God and yet she was always free to say yes or no to God. But I would lean more towards it being God's doing.

This is the same thing that atheists say about us Christians in general - that Jesus is an intermediary between us and an angry Father. But the Father sent His Son to die on the cross, and we Catholics believe that Jesus gave us His mother to be our mother as well. It is not that Mary loves us more than Jesus does.She could never love us more than Jesus. But Jesus understands our psychological make-up. He knows how comforting it is to have a mother.

My father and mother both loved me. But my father was more stern on me than my mother was. He had to. I understand that now. And even though Jesus loved me that He died for me, the Bible makes it clear that we must all stand before the judgment seat of Christ. Jesus have have to judge me. Although He is all-loving he is still all-just. But Mary will not be my judge. She is like my human mother, only more so. But it is Jesus who gave me His mother.

I also agree that a non-devotion to Mary does not mean a Christian is going to hell. But it tremendously helps me to love Jesus. And I am not saying that I love Jesus more than any Protestant. I try not to compare myself with others. I only compare myself to my old self. I love Jesus more than before. I believe a devotion to Mary would help anyone. That does not mean that they without Mary are not better Christians than I am with her. That is definitely possible. There was a lot of bad stuff in me that the Lord had to work with.
Jesus' brothers were younger than Him. Joseph was, as it is believed, to have been a widower and older than Mary. There is no mention of other children but it does mention His younger brothers.

Do you really think that, in that time period.. a man would have taken on a wife who would not bear him children? Seriously, in those days, your daughters earned you a dowry, and your sons supported you and your wife in your old age. They also helped in the family business.

I can understand that Joseph was convinced by the Holy Spirit to marry Mary even when he was going to quietly end their relationship.... However... I cannot believe that he would be married, have no children or sexual relations with her for their entire married days.... This would be very contrary to the whole customary way of that time.

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In Luke 1:43, Elizabeth calls Mary the mother of her Lord. Among Jews, there is only one Lord, the great I AM, Yahweh, ...

If that is true, why David speaks of Lord that is not Yahweh?

Yahweh says to my Lord, "Sit at my right hand, Until I make your enemies your footstool for your feet."
Ps. 110:1

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟274,209.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I would be willing to bet that Jesus treated both of His parents with the utmost respect, as it is commanded.
a humanistic response. He just followed the law. Wow, God just doing things as good as any other Jewish boy would do. Ok God, no offense, but your nothing special.
Mary was His mother but still needed salvation from Him, as we all do
as the Church teaches.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟274,209.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jesus' brothers were younger than Him. Joseph was, as it is believed, to have been a widower and older than Mary. There is no mention of other children but it does mention His younger brothers
again, this is new novel ideas....that Jesus had brothers or sisters.
Do you really think that, in that time period.. a man would have taken on a wife who would not bear him children? Seriously, in those days, your daughters earned you a dowry, and your sons supported you and your wife in your old age. They also helped in the family business.
this doesnt describe a holy man who had a vision of an angel telling him to take Mary as his wife.
I can understand that Joseph was convinced by the Holy Spirit to marry Mary even when he was going to quietly end their relationship.... However... I cannot believe that he would be married, have no children or sexual relations with her for their entire married days.... This would be very contrary to the whole customary way of that time.
ah, so they MUST have followed what every one else does. Not a strong argument. Especially since scripture points to perpetual virginity.

Upvote 0

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It is rarely worthwhile responding to such ill informed prejudice as deepwaters post below.

But in case others are interested in biblical fact:
I will prove it wrong , starting with the first assertion.

From the annunciation Jesus was heralded as a davidic king.
He did all he could to align himself to the davidic line, so he would be understood by his Jewish audience who looked for meaning in the OT.

For example he rode a donkey as Solomon had done.

We see in OT that the MOTHER ( not spouse ) of a davidic king was given honorary title QUEEN. Jesus’s kingdom is heaven.

So like it or not the bible imputes her honorary title “queen of heaven”!! As mother of a davidic king.

Notice also in OT that Solomon gives her a throne (reinforcing queen ship) bows to her and says he will “ do whatever she asks”
So heralding the power of intercession.

We see this enacted at Cana. Where Mary demonstrates that intercession when Jesus does what she asks, but He says in effect “ not yet” when He says , ‘what have you to do with me now? My time has not yet come’

Jesus’s time has now come....

And as demonstration this is the true faith, we see in the writings of some of the fathers attending the councils that decided creed and canon ( New Testament ) who were vociferous on intercession of Mary.

Etc etc.

So the question is not why catholic’s believe it, but why does deepwater ignore the faith the early fathers were handed, and the biblical texts that underpin it?

Food for thought?

Happy Christmas

Mary is not the Queen of Heaven.
Mary is not a "perpetual virgin", she had other children.
Mary is not the "mediatrix", There is ONE Mediator between God and Man, and unless Mary hung on a CROSS and DIED FOR YOUR SIN, and rose again, then she does not qualify.
Mary is not going to meet you at your death and you are never to pray to Mary.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
again, this is new novel ideas....that Jesus had brothers or sisters.
this doesnt describe a holy man who had a vision of an angel telling him to take Mary as his wife.
ah, so they MUST have followed what every one else does. Not a strong argument. Especially since scripture points to perpetual virginity.
Firstly.. show me where Joseph was a "holy man"... He was a carpenter. Not a rabbi.
Secondly... Why would they not follow the culture of that time? Was Joseph going to get hand outs from the town? He was a working man and working men had families.. to help with the family career and support them in their old age.
Third.. Where is the chapter and verse that indicate "perpetual virginity" When Jesus had brothers?

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
And Catholics recognize that Mary was indeed saved. Saved by being protected from sin instead of saved after sinning, but still saved by the blood of Jesus. That's clear from the Magnificat and well known to Catholic theologians, the same ones who teach that Mary was sinless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Firstly.. show me where Joseph was a "holy man"... He was a carpenter. Not a rabbi.
He was enough in tune with God to receive dreams from God. As a carpenter and not a rabbi.
Secondly... Why would they not follow the culture of that time? Was Joseph going to get hand outs from the town? He was a working man and working men had families.. to help with the family career and support them in their old age.
Can a holy man work with his hands? Or does a holy man have to have soft hands?
Third.. Where is the chapter and verse that indicate "perpetual virginity" When Jesus had brothers?
You could argue that with Luther. He knew. And Calvin did too.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
And Catholics recognize that Mary was indeed saved. Saved by being protected from sin instead of saved after sinning, but still saved by the blood of Jesus. That's clear from the Magnificat and well known to Catholic theologians, the same ones who teach that Mary was sinless.
I don't care what any "magnifaicat" says... Didn't they say you could pay money to them and be forgiven?

Show me scripture... not words of men.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
He was enough in tune with God to receive dreams from God. As a carpenter and not a rabbi.
Still a carpenter... needing to work, needing a family, needing a wife who can give him children.. a wife that did just that.. ... All in the scriptures.

Can a holy man work with his hands? Or does a holy man have to have soft hands?

What?

You could argue that with Luther. He knew. And Calvin did too.
what is the chapter and verse?

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I don't care what any "magnifaicat" says...
I'm sorry. I presumed that being a Protestant and all that you knew your Bible. That you knew that the Magnificat was Mary's prayer found at the beginning of the Gospel of Luke. I didn't know that you didn't know that. Luke 1: 46-56.
Didn't they say you could pay money to them and be forgiven?
They? The Magnificat is Scripture and nothing but Scripture. At least in my Bible.
Show me scripture... not words of men.
I did and you didn't even know. The reflexive anti-Catholic thing kicked in and blinded you.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.