Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
As far as i see, she is always in the company of others close in the group who followed Jesus and helped to support His mission.
A grateful devoted woman from whom Christ cast out seven demons.
So upon what basis have all the stories be constructed about her having a relationship with Him, even that they married and had children. Is there any evidence to suggest any such thing in the Bible? I don't think she is even mentioned much at all. I suppose human imaginations are prone to filling in the blanks?

Benam

Site Supporter
Apr 18, 2017
BC
✟678,402.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
There is nothing in the bible to even suggest that Jesus and Mary Magdalene had any sort of romantic relationship, and I don't believe they did.

However, I wonder... What would be the implications if they were? Marriage is normal, healthy, created and encouraged by God. Men of Jesus' age would have been expected to be married I imagine. Some of his disciples were married. Would it harm his ministry in any way to find out he was married? Children would be out of the question, I think, as then we'd have people claiming to be a direct descendent of Jesus and therefore Devine in some way (heck, I've seen people claim this anyway). Just curious.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As far as i see, she is always in the company of others close in the group who followed Jesus and helped to support His mission.
A grateful devoted woman from whom Christ cast out seven demons.
So upon what basis have all the stories be constructed about her having a relationship with Him, even that they married and had children. Is there any evidence to suggest any such thing in the Bible? I don't think she is even mentioned much at all. I suppose human imaginations are prone to filling in the blanks?
Jesus appeared to Mary Magdalene after his resurrection. Jesus asked her not to embrace him as he was going to return to his Father. Mary Magdalene may have been Mary of Magdala a town near Capernaum on the shore of the Sea of Galilee. Some stated Mary was married to Jesus, others that she was a harlot. Neither of these theories are supported by scripture.

Luke 7:36 One of the Pharisees invited him to eat with him. He entered into the Pharisee’s house, and sat at the table. 37 Behold, a woman in the city who was a sinner, when she knew that he was reclining in the Pharisee’s house, brought an alabaster jar of ointment. 38 Standing behind at his feet weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears, and she wiped them with the hair of her head, kissed his feet, and anointed them with the ointment. 39 Now when the Pharisee who had invited him saw it, he said to himself, “This man, if he were a prophet, would have perceived who and what kind of woman this is who touches him, that she is a sinner.”

40 Jesus answered him, “Simon, I have something to tell you.”

He said, “Teacher, say on.”

41 “A certain lender had two debtors. The one owed five hundred denarii, and the other fifty.42 When they couldn’t pay, he forgave them both. Which of them therefore will love him most?”

43 Simon answered, “He, I suppose, to whom he forgave the most.”

He said to him, “You have judged correctly.” 44 Turning to the woman, he said to Simon, “Do you see this woman? I entered into your house, and you gave me no water for my feet, but she has wet my feet with her tears, and wiped them with the hair of her head. 45 You gave me no kiss, but she, since the time I came in, has not ceased to kiss my feet. 46 You didn’t anoint my head with oil, but she has anointed my feet with ointment. 47 Therefore I tell you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven, for she loved much. But one to whom little is forgiven, loves little.” 48 He said to her, “Your sins are forgiven.”

Mary may have been the sinful woman who anointed Jesus in Luke 7 in as much as Mary was described as anointing Jesus with perfumed oil in Bethany described in the Gospel of John. An unnamed woman anointed Jesus at the home of Simon in Bethany as reported in the Gospel of Matthew. Mark wrote about an unnamed woman anointing Jesus in Bethany.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
It didn't happen. The Bible itself would have Jesus no longer sinless if he had sex even in marriage for one reason:
when you have sex God sees you as ONE, such that you are spiritually connected to that person and that connection would introduce the sinful nature of Mary into Jesus spiritual nature through the voluntary act.
Any taint of sin would negate the power of the cross and our salvation would be forfeit. As we have already heard of Jesus performing a miracle at a wedding I would think if he got married it wouldn't be a secret but rather celebrated also and mentioned. Once you are married in the culture of the time the bible equates an obligation to give your wife children and even goes as far as to say that a widow with no children her husbands brother must make her pregnant if no other men were available to marry her. I know that during Jesus time that they were trying their best to pin any argument on him to negate his ministry and it is very likely if Jesus married it would be known and that her uncleanness would be brought to the front when people insist he is without sin.

Reactions: Grace2022
Upvote 0

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Interesting. That when a person has sex God sees them as one. What about all the people who sleep around, they often don't even know their partner's names and no intention of commitment or love. It explains how such behaviour is so destructive to the souls of all concerned. Such emptiness results. By seeking 'love' like that, they must know deep down that they can never find it like that. How must prostitutes feel, or strippers and such? That they have no souls. They get paid. Both they and their clients lose all that is of value. Such misery in the pursuit of happiness for a brief time.

Anyhow, it is impossible that Jesus would ever have involved himself with any woman. Totally out of the question.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
Interesting. That when a person has sex God sees them as one. What about all the people who sleep around, they often don't even know their partner's names and no intention of commitment or love. It explains how such behaviour is so destructive to the souls of all concerned. Such emptiness results. By seeking 'love' like that, they must know deep down that they can never find it like that. How must prostitutes feel, or strippers and such? That they have no souls. They get paid. Both they and their clients lose all that is of value. Such misery in the pursuit of happiness for a brief time.

Anyhow, it is impossible that Jesus would ever have involved himself with any woman. Totally out of the question.
A man that can allow himself to be crucified should easily be able to resist the temptation to have sex.
IMO as much as Jesus loved people to marry a woman knowing he is going to die before the children are adults is to leave her struggling as a widow. If I was engaged to a woman and found out I only had 6 months to live I wouldn't want her to have my children, I wouldn't even marry her at all it is somewhat selfish to do so.

• Informative
Reactions: Benam
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I suppose human imaginations are prone to filling in the blanks?

That and the need for attention will get Christ married every time.

Interesting. That when a person has sex God sees them as one. What about all the people who sleep around,

God sees them as 1, 2, 3, 4, and so on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,620.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Yep
Mark 4:18 And others are the ones sown among thorns. They are those who hear the word, 19 but the cares of the world and the deceitfulness of riches and the desires for other things enter in and choke the word, and it proves unfruitful.

Upvote 0