• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Mary as Co-redemptrix

Discussion in 'Mariology & Hagiography' started by polishbeast, Jul 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. polishbeast

polishbeast Servant of Jesus

+62
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Republican
    Mother Teresa of Calcutta, "Of course Mary is the Co-redemptrix - she gave Jesus his body, and his body is what saved us."

I think this pretty much sums it up. Thoughts, or comments?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Uphill Battle

Uphill Battle Well-Known Member

+914
    Non-Denom
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    thoughts: uh-oh.

comments: Ant hill has now been kicked.

3. E.C.

E.C. Well-Known Member

+907
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Engaged
    One could then argue that she is Co-second-person-of-the-Trinity.

But, that would not be correct, would it?

4. MamaZ

MamaZ Guest

+0
    What did Mary do to redeem mankind?

5. MamaZ

MamaZ Guest

+0

6. MamaZ

MamaZ Guest

+0
    What did Mary do to redeem mankind? We can also then say Adam is co-redemtrix..

7. Kristos

Kristos Servant

+780
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I think Paul is more of a co-redemptrix

1Co 9:22 To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.

Not really - I'm just messin'

I think Theotokos is sufficient.

8. Dark_Lite

Dark_Lite Chewbacha

+889
    Catholic
    Single
    Co-redemptrix is such a terrible term to describe the role of Mary. It's too far open to misinterpretation given the meaning of "redeem" today.

9. MrPolo

MrPolo Woe those who call evil good + good evil. Is 5:20

+692
    Catholic
    Private
    Very true. I see responses here to that effect from those who don't even know what this term means.

For educational purposes, here is a good article explaining this term. Scroll to What Does Co-Redemptrix Really Mean? and also read One Redeemer and Savior.

10. MamaZ

MamaZ Guest

+0
    We have no co-redeemer..

11. Uphill Battle

+914
    Non-Denom
    Married
    CA-Conservatives

Why would you say that Theotokos is not sufficient? I understand what Catholics really MEAN when they say Co-Redemptrix. I understand that there is no intention to supplant/supercede/match the redemption that is soley at the hands (and feet, and side) of Christ. However, does it not "toe the line?"

is it not really a superflouous title, one that if thought out clearly, might be considered a bad idea?

(take for example, the Canadian Reform Alliance Party.... they didn't think things through before chosing the name. Nothing like having a CRAP button on your lapel.)

and since it could be rightly said of the whole geneological line of Mary, the same? Mary's dad? Co-redeemer. Christ would not be in this world if Mary wasn't fathered by him, etc... etc...

It seems, IM(ns)HO quite unneccessary, and a source or unneccessary conflict.

12. buzzini

buzzini Newbie

+6
    Non-Denom
    what is it with the desire to elevate human activity of any kind to match the supernatural work of God? For God the unfathomable lower Himself to become man. yet some of us so desire to match such miracle with human merit? If God choose, can't He not came out of a rock rather then Mary?

13. MrPolo

+692
    Catholic
    Private
    I think you meant to reply to Kristos. :)

14. MrPolo

+692
    Catholic
    Private
    :swoon:

15. Uphill Battle

+914
    Non-Denom
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    nope, you... just a poorly worded first sentence.

replace that with "Why would you not consider Theotokos as sufficient?"

16. Mary of Bethany

Mary of Bethany Only one thing is needful. Supporter

+998
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    It's not that, correctly understood, it's necessarily wrong, but why does Rome go beyond what is necessary and make such declarations where no declaration of dogma/doctrine is needed?

Co-Redemptrix, Co-Mediatrix, Dispenser of All Graces, etc., etc. These are all problematic, and do more to cause over reactions to the other extreme.

Mary

17. MrPolo

+692
    Catholic
    Private
    Well, first, it should be noted, the co-redemptrix idea is not yet dogma. It is a widespread theology and may be defined as such some day.

Second, the Church does not determine what is "sufficient" per se. I do not get that attitude here and elsewhere of people saying "such and such is sufficient" or "we don't need to delve into such and such further", etc... Transubstantiation is another subject where you see this attitude. The Church is subject to the movement of the Holy Spirit. If the Holy Spirit so moves to Church into a particular understanding, then the Church will articulate it. The Church's response is not "We don't need to know that", but rather "Yes, Master, be it said as You wish." So if God wishes to say, "Look at My sovereignty. Look at how I operate through my creatures, especially the woman I desired to deliver Personified Salvation to the world," then we say, "Amen!"

Now of course, others here to not believe the Catholic bishops have the unique charism as the ones protected from error by the Spirit, but that's a different subject. [​IMG]

18. Uphill Battle

+914
    Non-Denom
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    indeed it is! Thanks for responding. I won't drag the rest of it into a debate.

19. E.C.

E.C. Well-Known Member

+907
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Engaged
    I have to third the "it is not necessary" sentiment.

Afterall, Theotokos as a title was deemed (for lack of a better word) 'necessary' in the 5th century when a certain Nestorius began to say that because the Theotokos could not possibly bear God into the world, she is only Christokos and that Christ was not united in one body.

Really, where along the line of the last 1,600 years, give or take a few, has it become necessary for 'co-Redemptrix'?

Define Catholic.

20. prodromos

prodromos Senior Veteran Supporter

+8,832
    Australia
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    No. Rocks had no need of salvation, humanity did. To take on our nature so it could be nailed to the cross, go to Hades and burst its gates from the inside to destroy deaths hold over humanity, He had to receive His human flesh from a human.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.