Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I already posted this and it hasn’t shown up so I’ll try it again. When I was Catholic a lot of reverence was for Mary. I own several Miraculous Medals (google it). Do Lutherans ever pray to Mary or wear a Miraculous Medal?

I have not heard of such a thing for Lutherans - will be interesting to see what they say.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have not heard of such a thing for Lutherans - will be interesting to see what they say.
I saw a beautiful one for sale online but I don’t want to give people the wrong idea that I’m Catholic by wearing one.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I posted this in the other thread, but I will put it here too :)

Reverence, most definitely. Pray to...no, Lutherans do not in the same way that a Roman Catholic would. One might find some early references to praying to the saints, but over time even Luther advised against it. From the Apology to the Augsburg Confessions:
yet it does not follow that they are to be invoked; although our Confession affirms only this, that Scripture does not teach the invocation of the saints, or that we are to ask the saints for aid. But since neither a command, nor a promise, nor an example can be produced from the Scriptures concerning the invocation of saints, it follows that conscience can have nothing concerning this invocation that is certain. And since prayer ought to be made from faith, how do we know that God approves this invocation? Whence do we know without the testimony of Scripture that the saints perceive the prayers of each one?
But as for buying the medal...it would depend on what you get out of it and why you want it. If you simply want it for the beauty of it, then I don't see a problem.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I posted this in the other thread, but I will put it here too :)

Reverence, most definitely. Pray to...no, Lutherans do not in the same way that a Roman Catholic would. One might find some early references to praying to the saints, but over time even Luther advised against it. From the Apology to the Augsburg Confessions:

But as for buying the medal...it would depend on what you get out of it and why you want it. If you simply want it for the beauty of it, then I don't see a problem.
If I bought it I’d be tempted to start praying to Mary. Also, when wearing one I feel like I have some sort of protection, Lutherans may call it superstition, but I grew up in a Catholic household and area where most people were Catholic. We lived near my parish/school so I spent a lot of time there riding my bike, playing on their playground or watching softball and baseball games and practices. Old habits are hard to break.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's tough, if I am honest I sometimes miss the devotional aspects of the Catholic church as well. Perhaps replace the Marian devotion with something focused on Jesus? Maybe a small sacred heart medal or similar? I think it is right and appropriate to give high respect for Mary, the Theotokos, the Mother of God, but prayers should be directed to the Godhead alone. Icons etc. are good for reminders of the saints, to how they lived their lives, but they are not to be prayed to by Lutheran theology.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's tough, if I am honest I sometimes miss the devotional aspects of the Catholic church as well. Perhaps replace the Marian devotion with something focused on Jesus? Maybe a small sacred heart medal or similar? I think it is right and appropriate to give high respect for Mary, the Theotokos, the Mother of God, but prayers should be directed to the Godhead alone. Icons etc. are good for reminders of the saints, to how they lived their lives, but they are not to be prayed to by Lutheran theology.
Ok.well I do have a nice cross I bought about a year or year 1/2 ago.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,375.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
If I bought it I’d be tempted to start praying to Mary. Also, when wearing one I feel like I have some sort of protection, Lutherans may call it superstition, but I grew up in a Catholic household and area where most people were Catholic. We lived near my parish/school so I spent a lot of time there riding my bike, playing on their playground or watching softball and baseball games and practices. Old habits are hard to break.
Luther once wrote that only those with strong faith should use the Rosary so as not to fall into error. I have a beautiful Icon of Mary on our dining room wall, but we do not pray to her.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Luther once wrote that only those with strong faith should use the Rosary so as not to fall into error. I have a beautiful Icon of Mary on our dining room wall, but we do not pray to her.
I have a lot of rosaries, too. I inherited some from my mom and bought some myself. I’m keeping them, though, because I want the ones that belonged to my mom, and mine are just beautiful to look at.

When I was Catholic I had one on my rear view mirror. After I became Lutheran I missed the rosary so I made (with a lot of help) another thing to hang on my mirror. It can be used as a necklace, too. It’s clear and pale green crystal AB beads with a simple cross on it.
We have a hobby store near here that has a huge section for jewelry making. They can make it for you, you can take the beads etc. home and make them yourself, or do like I did....I strung the beads and cross myself in the store and then they put on the clasp etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0