• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Mary And Martha Are Contrasted

Discussion in 'Christian Scriptures' started by Walter and Deborah, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Walter and Deborah

Walter and Deborah Junior Member

+505
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Friday 2-28-20, Adar 3, 5780 6th. day of the weekly cycle, 70th. Winter day

Luke Ten:38-42 (KJV)

Mary And Martha Are Contrasted:

38 Now it came to pass, as they went, that he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house.

39 And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word.

40 But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me.

41 And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things:

42 But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.

Love always, Walter and Debbie

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. angelsaroundme

angelsaroundme New Member

+15
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    This is one of my favorite parts in the whole Bible. Simple and yet full of meaning.

3. JackRT

JackRT OOPS!!! Supporter

+14,415
    Canada
    Christian
    Married
    And when you understand a little context the meaning becomes more interesting. Martha is scurrying around preparing a meal and is getting a little overheated because Mary is sitting at the feet of Jesus listening to him teach. Martha comes to Jesus and asks him to tell Mary to get up and help her.

The fact that she asked Jesus rather than going directly to her sister says something in and of itself. In that culture a married woman could be directed only by her husband. To go to the wife directly when her husband is present would be an insult to the husband in that very patriarchal society. We can draw each of us our own conclusions here. And yes I do believe that Mary the Magdalene and Mary of Bethany are the same person.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. angelsaroundme

angelsaroundme New Member

+15
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    Thanks for the info. Never gave much thought to that verse supporting the idea of Jesus and Mary being together. I guess people at the time might have not wanted people to know because it'd likely end up in goddess worship.