N. E. Ohio
✟1,926.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally I posted this in Eschatology, but it fits better here, so I am reprising it on this Forum.

Dear CF,
The contemplation of our own martyrdom is a very advanced and mature area of Christianity. I imagine that this will be a thread that will not draw any interest. It’s kind of like volunteering for a root canal.

Today in America we have popularized a Theology of escapism into our Eschatology. But I have read a lot of accounts of martyrs over the years and have come to some interesting conclusions. You may or may not agree with them. There are a lot of different ways that our Christian characters are tested in life. Surely the test of endurance or long suffering in situations is very significant. As are characteristics like faithfulness and so on. Martyrdom is also a test – God died for us - will we die for him? (Please I am not saying this is necessary for salvation) The martyrs all died in faith. Some think that there are crowns given for these characteristics – I don’t know. But the title of martyr, I suspect, is one that will be with you forever and ever.

The first great surprise is MARTYRDOM IS OPTIONAL The great number of accounts that I have read about - the person had a choice to be martyred or not. God gives us a freewill choice to enter martyrdom. This concept begins with Jesus himself. Before pilot and the Jews he admitted that he was God – he told the truth with full knowledge that this statement would cause his death. He had a choice to die or not to die. He chose to inflame the masses present that day on purpose because of the task that was set before him. Peter also faced the prospect of martyrdom and escaped by denying the Lord three times on the day of the cross.

The Christians in Roman days were being martyred by the thousands continually year after year - according to Eusebius. No the Roman government didn’t arrest and drag people into court using witnesses to charge them of the crime of belonging to this outlawed Christian sect. No, no, very early on - Rome devised a very simple loyalty test. Citizens were simply brought before a statue of the Emperor on a yearly basis and were required to throw a pinch of incense into the flames of a bowl and repeat the words, "Caesar is Lord and God" it was very simple. Most Christians wouldn’t do that, and so they were dealt with in a very severe manner suffering torture and death. But you see they had a choice and all they had to do to escape all of this was to say the word "Caesar" instead of "Christ." It all came down to one simple word in a sentence. No one forced them to be a martyr. I suspect that many backed out of this situation and in all probability later changed their plight in succeeding years.

Many stories of martyred Christians tell of their refusal to renounce Christianity – in most all cases that I have seen they were given a choice. Granted, once the choice is made you may or may not get a chance to change the verdict. Polycarp was given a chance to renounce Jesus before they burned him at the stake – his words are probably coming to your remembrance. The road from Ephesus to Pergamum was known as the "Martyrs Way" because those who did not swear allegiance to the emperor were sent from all of Asia Minor to the Roman Procouncel who resided in Pergamum - where Satan's seat is - for final judgment. High level Roman officials like the Procounsel had the "Ius Gladii" that is - the right of the sword; and could actually have anyone killed on the spot without a trial. After sentencing the Christians were then sent to the seaport of Ephesus via the martyrs way to be shipped to the arenas of Rome and points west.

One example from recent history. I have a video tape of a reenactment of a group of people in a repressive country – I don’t remember which one – where a small Church meeting was taking place and a group of armed guerrillas burst into the hut where they were meeting. They forced the people there under the pain of death to renounce their Christianity by the act of spitting on the Bible – one by one they all did so - all except one young lady who instead wiped the spittle off of the cover of the Bible with her sleeve and she was immediately shot through the head and died. She had a choice you see. There was only one martyr that day out of about eight people. So anytime you read an account of a martyr always look for the choice – it’s probably there somewhere.

Because we have a choice - it naturally follows that IT HAS TO BE GOD WHO ARRANGES OUR MARTYRDOM. Nobody plucks any of his people out of his hand without his knowing. He arranges these situations on purpose just to give you this opportunity to be a martyr. And if you can receive it – you can ask him for this experience – if you want.

No, I wouldn’t be concerned about martyrdom because the general rule seems to be one of choice – so you know that you can always opt out if you want to – just like Peter did before Pentecost. Will God forgive you for your denial? He did Peter. And he also told Peter 70 X 7 times he should forgive - remember. All of this is a real comfort, which puts one at peace about this subject. The decision will be made on that day of opportunity – a day where you will have the grace necessary to do what would please him - for Precious in the eyes of the Lord is the death of his Saints.

So why should anyone fret and worry over some imaginary tribulation sometime in the future? God only gives us grace to face today. The grace to face tomorrow will not be given until tomorrow. A fearful imagination is not a godly thing. The four riders of the Apocalypse were very active during the Roman period. But as a principle, history has shown them to be riding all through history to this day.

My late first generation Christian mother-in-law came through the depression and then into the second world war. She believed that it was then the end of the world then because of all the bloodshed and violence. Christians have always believed that when things get bad enough this will precipitate the Lords return. Not so – he will come only when he has determined to do so. I have seen where Christians going back to the time of Domicletion believed that when things got bad enough then the Lord would come to save them in the second coming - hasn't happened yet. And who knows – it may finally happen like the Church has always believed it would - someday.

Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.