United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
. . .

I’m not validating celebrity. I am speaking from the vantage point of public visibility that can be used for good and His glory.

We are called to be the light of the world. And to let that light shine. That Light is Christ. Regardless of the platform.

• Agree
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
We are called to be the light of the world. And to let that light shine. That Light is Christ. Regardless of the platform.

That is the perspective I’ve been walking out since I came to faith. I gave Him free reign over my gifts and talents. I agreed to be a light and utilize my knowledge, skills and resources for His glory.

There are souls at stake. If it means writing an encouraging word, jumping on a stage, or building a business I’m all-in. He fashioned a beacon. I won’t diminish that for anyone.

Yes is powerful when you mean it. :)

Reactions: Petunia
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
@LaBèlla - I agree with you that the source of our discernment and confirmation is the Spirit of God, but here I like to think we are just believers in Christ, at varying stages of our walk with Christ, just talking, sharing, and sometimes arguing main points...

If there is a point that someone introduces I've never heard, in order to understand how that point fits in with the truth I usually pray on verses and understandings and wait for the Holy Spirit to lead me.

But I think only a few here are trying to assert their authority in Scripture, most I think are just normal people walking with Christ however we've seen it to date, as individuals..

• Friendly
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
@LaBèlla - I agree with you that the source of our discernment and confirmation is the Spirit of God, but here I like to think we are just believers in Christ, at varying stages of our walk with Christ, just talking, sharing, and sometimes arguing main points...

I understand what you’re saying. That’s why I specified where the perspective hails from. There is a measure of familiarity in Christian circles that I don’t possess within my person. My conception of relation isn’t better or worse. Just different.

Intimacy and trust are important as is wisdom. Even with persons like myself whose propriety is more tempered; God can utilize it. I am able to minister to others with similar sensibilities and those whose dispositions are private. I understand them.

I’m not quick to validate. The notion we’re all believers has never sunk into my spirit. I’m not wired that way. I participate on an Internet forum with a Christian theme. That’s the truth. To go beyond that to suggest what anyone is or isn’t would be inappropriate in my mind. Only He knows that. :)

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I understand what you’re saying. That’s why I specified where the perspective hails from. There is a measure of familiarity in Christian circles that I don’t possess within my person. My conception of relation isn’t better or worse. Just different.

Intimacy and trust are important as is wisdom. Even with persons like myself whose propriety is more tempered; God can utilize it. I am able to minister to others with similar sensibilities and those whose dispositions are private. I understand them.

I’m not quick to validate. The notion we’re all believers has never sunk into my spirit. I’m not wired that way. I participate on an Internet forum with a Christian theme. That’s the truth. To go beyond that to suggest what anyone is or isn’t would be inappropriate in my mind. Only He knows that. :)

Unless someone proves to me they are in a belief system that is not of my God, if someone says they are Christian I must assume they are..

The reason for this is I don't know anyone's heart, and it's not for me to judge people, just be a friend to some or something similar.

So I guess I'm opposite you there.. you go in with disbelief, and I belief until proven otherwise..

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
The reason for this is I don't know anyone's heart, and it's not for me to judge people, just be a friend to some or something similar.

So I guess I'm opposite you there.. you go in with disbelief, and I belief until proven otherwise..

I don’t know anyone’s heart. Nor do I go in with disbelief. I don’t have an opinion at all. Judgment requires scrutiny. I can relate to you as one of His creations in kindness without knowing the truth. I don’t need to know you’re a believer to administer grace.

• Useful
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Good is subjective. I wouldn’t listen to a passerby that I randomly encountered. Why would I accord the same to a virtual identity? I don’t know you.

I’m not trying to put you on the spot. But in all truth your statements shouldn’t carry weight at all. I can neither see or test your fruit. I would not partake before it occurred.

To me, that sounds reasonable.

None of the above apply. I would never listen to you. I don’t know you.

Right. Exactly. That makes my point. I say the same about Marty Samson and think everyone else would be better off taking a similar approach with celebrity pronouncements.

Thus, I am incapable of embracing advice from strangers (celebrities or otherwise) without a directive from Him. I must know the tree. I can’t set that aside. Not even in this space. In a perfect world we’d all turn to Him. :)

Ok. Sounds reasonable to me.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Right. Exactly. That makes my point. I say the same about Marty Samson and think everyone else would be better off taking a similar approach with celebrity pronouncements.

Things of God bear fruit. We can’t blindly assume the words we hear have His blessing or anointing. We need the Holy Spirit’s input. Although the topic is celebrities it applies to everyone. :)

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure why you are angry with me. I did not attempt to correct you, nor do I typically do so. We all have pet peeves. It does not mean that I am peeved with you personally, or that I did not read your post.

However, I decided to remove my post since you found it to be personally harmful.

It was that you as a Christian really did not need to even make such a remerk following someone else's remark.

I appreciate your consideration. :wave:

• Friendly
Reactions: bekkilyn
Upvote 0

Alien Lotus

Jul 8, 2019
Mid-Atlantic USA
✟5,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, I don't know what is the right Church.
Eliminate the wrong one's first by their broadcast examples. Hillsong, Joel Osteen, John Hagee, TD Jakes, Paul Crouch, Rick Warren (RW invented the heresy, Chrislam. The combination in his mind of Christianity & Islam. Rick should be advised to never ever visit Muslim Sharia ruled countries and preach that else he'll never be seen alive again), Chuck Smith, Benny Hinn,Jimmy Swaggart & the entire Swaggart family & their Son Life broadcast ministry, Joyce Meyer, Kenneth Haggin (look at his eyes. They're like a snakes eyes). And more.

"how to find a true Christian church" search results at DuckDuckGo

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Sure, that has happened in some Christians/churches/denominations- it is the opposite extreme what has happened in some of the more extreme "spirit-filled" churches. In both cases the truth of the words of the bible points to their error, however.

I didn't read Cooper diminishing the role of the Holy Spirit. I read him countering those who diminish the role of the Bible and allow every feeling they have to be interpreted as the guiding of the Holy Spirit, even if it contradicts biblical truth.
I thought it was a good speech, but that does not change my analysis of how the suggestion to improve things will appear when applied overall.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Another tragic decision. However, it is unsurprising. The reality is that around 95% of churchgoers are not in fact born again. How can you lose something that you never had? On the other hand, how can you be "unborn" again? I would be delighted if all who claimed to be saved made their calling and election sure. Unfortunately the wimpy (and unbiblical) "invite Jesus into your heart" evangelism leads to a shallow and lifeless "Christianism". It's easy to turn away from that. The assurance of God's word is that He will keep all who are His safe and secure no matter what.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: JustRachel
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Eliminate the wrong one's first by their broadcast examples. Hillsong, Joel Osteen, John Hagee, TD Jakes, Paul Crouch, Rick Warren (RW invented the heresy, Chrislam. The combination in his mind of Christianity & Islam. Rick should be advised to never ever visit Muslim Sharia ruled countries and preach that else he'll never be seen alive again), Chuck Smith, Benny Hinn,Jimmy Swaggart & the entire Swaggart family & their Son Life broadcast ministry, Joyce Meyer, Kenneth Haggin (look at his eyes. They're like a snakes eyes). And more.

"how to find a true Christian church" search results at DuckDuckGo
I'm disappointed to find another comment that slanders Rick Warren. He did not "invent" Chrislam, it's been around for a very long time. I've heard Rick Warren's original statement. It does not promote Islam. I do not know Rick Warren. Some of the other people you mention are false. Please don't make the mistake of repeating unsubstantiated allegations. Slandering people is not acceptable to God and you will bring judgement on yourself. "Discernment" on the basis of your doctrinal prejudices is also dangerous. Worse still is simply repeating other people's assessments.

Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Alien Lotus

Jul 8, 2019
Mid-Atlantic USA
✟5,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm disappointed to find another comment that slanders Rick Warren. He did not "invent" Chrislam, it's been around for a very long time. I've heard Rick Warren's original statement. It does not promote Islam. I do not know Rick Warren. Some of the other people you mention are false. Please don't make the mistake of repeating unsubstantiated allegations. Slandering people is not acceptable to God and you will bring judgement on yourself. "Discernment" on the basis of your doctrinal prejudices is also dangerous. Worse still is simply repeating other people's assessments.
What about Rick's own words? Believe those?
When Warren has said in his speeches before Muslim groups that Christians and Muslims worship the same God? They don't. Islam's Koran states that Allah has no son. That means no Jesus. That means, no, we don't worship the same God when Islam's God came into view nearly 600 years after Christ.

Chrislam Starts To Spread In America
rick_warren_and_cat_stevens_yusuf_islam_chrislam.jpg

You knew this day was going to come, when the liberal “love gospel” preachers who, desiring to fill their seats and bank accounts, would find a way to merge apostate christianity with the Devil’s religion of Islam. That day is here.

Rick Warren, founder and pastor of Saddleback Community Church in Orange County California, addressed the convention of the Islamic Society of North America. Warren stated that Muslims and Christians must work together to combat stereotypes, promote peace and freedom, and solve global problems. Christians and Moslems – faith mates, soul mates and now work mates! Chrislam!

“Before we “shake your hand” in responding to your letter, we ask forgiveness of the All-Merciful One and of the Muslim community around the world.” – Rick Warren in a speech to Muslims. (Here)

Click here to read the full article...

Speaking to a crowd of nearly 8,000 Muslims at the Islamic Society of North America’s annual convention in Washington D.C., Saddleback Church Pastor Rick Warren called on Muslims and Christians to form an interfaith coalition to combat prejudice and stereotypes. While Fourth of July revelers staked out seats to watch fireworks at the nearby Capitol Building, Warren addressed convention-goers – some of them from Orange County Muslim student associations – about the need for mutual respect.

Rick Warren builds bridge to Muslims – Orange County Register
(excerpt)"...
Warren has faced criticism from some evangelicals for his outreach to Muslims. Late last year, he issued a statement flatly denying rumors that he promulgates what critics term “Chrislam,” a merging of Islam and Christianity.

The “rumor is 100 percent false,” Warren wrote at Pastors.com, a website he founded that provides practical advice to church leaders. “My life and ministry are built on the truth that Jesus is the only way, and our inerrant Bible is our only true authority.”

Polls show that evangelicals are 30 percent more likely than other Christians to hold a negative view of Islam, according to the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life. Polls also show that evangelicals overwhelmingly favor converting Muslims to Christianity and are more likely to believe that Islam encourages violence.

Warren has repeatedly encouraged evangelicals to set aside such views, arguing that Christians are obliged to treat everyone with love and respect, regardless of faith.
"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Personally I think Rick Warren is misguided but well-intentioned. Countless Christians believe the myth that Allah and God are the same thing. Judaism is little better than Islam. Two sides of the same coin. I am vehemently anti-Islam but Christians must show love. Muslims are turning to Christ in great numbers in Iran and other majority Muslim countries. It is not because Christians are railing at Islam. It is because they see the love of Christ in believers who are prepared to die for Christ's sake. Personally, I'd not have one Muslim in Australia. But how can I witness to people who are not here?

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Does anyone else find it ironic, that you're just giving this guy more attention, by talking about him here just because he was a celebrity? If he was just one more Christian kid that went off and lost his faith, like thousands of others, what does it really matter if he was a singer or not?

Reactions: Yekcidmij
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Thank you for that. I hope and pray that you are right. But I have no right to judge because I left the Lord as well. But I am coming back.

But some of his questions are questions that I still ask today. I still question God about why he sends people to hell. But I also recognize the I have no right to question him. So I understand why he felt the way that he feels.

But I am trying to come back because of that fear of hell and wrath. And some Christians will tell me that I am wrong for obeying God out of fear, or wanting to obey God out of fear. But then I ask, why would God would send people to hell if he didn't want us to obey him out of fear?

So, there's a lot of things that I don't understand about God. And I understand how he feels.

May I suggest that you ask God for a revelation of His love for you? Hell is not God's choice and it was created for the devil and his angels. Those who refuse God's love share Satan's fate. Yes, the fear of God is the beginning of wisdom. I got born again for the most selfish of motives. Over the last 48 years, I've come to know God in ways that I did not know were possible and I now know "What a Friend we Have in Jesus" is not just a nice old song. Suppose you had a dear friend that passed away. A few months later, you have a birthday party. Do you invite your friend? Of course not, he is dead and buried. We are spiritually dead to God. We must be made alive before we can enter His home. Jesus came to make dead people live (John 10:10) not "bad" people "good". Depend on God's love for you. Yes, there are many questions. All will be clear when we see Him face to face. Until then, we may just have to trust His eternal goodness, mercy, grace - and love.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Since a non Christian cannot renounce Satan and be free from him, you could say that a Christian cannot renounce God and be free from him too.
Fair comment. I think 1 John 2:19 applies in many cases, possibly this one also. I'd have to speak to Marty Samson to be sure. I believe that we will see a mass exodus from the Church. I hope and pray for that to happen. We need real believers, not those who are only Christians in name only.

Reactions: JustRachel
Upvote 0