✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-
Two things that Christ and his Father value very highly are integrity and loyalty.

2Tim 2:4 . . As Christ's soldier, do not let yourself become tied up in the affairs of this life, for then you cannot satisfy the one who has enlisted you in his army.

1Tim 4:14 . . Focus upon the public reading of scripture, and to preaching and teaching.

MLK Jr was an ordained Christian minister. Had he remained faithful to his calling as per the two passages above, instead of abandoning his post for political activism, he might still be alive today.

/

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
instead of abandoning his post for political activism, he might still be alive today.

/

Doubt that holds water and not a nice thing to say.

We Christians need to be careful.

M-Bob

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,216.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-
Two things that Christ and his Father value very highly are integrity and loyalty.

2Tim 2:4 . . As Christ's soldier, do not let yourself become tied up in the affairs of this life, for then you cannot satisfy the one who has enlisted you in his army.

1Tim 4:14 . . Focus upon the public reading of scripture, and to preaching and teaching.

MLK Jr was an ordained Christian minister. Had he remained faithful to his calling as per the two passages above, instead of abandoning his post for political activism, he might still be alive today.

/

You are drawing a poor cause and effect relationship here. Of course, if you're right, Franklin Graham and Falwell Jr. are looking nervously over their shoulders today.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Root of Jesse
Upvote 0

majj27

Mr. Owl has had quite enough
Jun 2, 2014
✟82,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
MLK Jr. worked to combat the treatment of people based on race.

MLK Jr. was assassinated by a racist for fighting against racism.

It's MLK Jr.'s own fault, because because the Bible says he should have just shut up and not helped people.

lRa7O4H.jpg

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
-

/
It may be necessary, if we are to answer that question well, to decide if King was, at heart, a social activist or social worker who chose the ministry because of the opportunity to serve and change society OR if, OTOH, he was primarily a pastor who also had an interest in social justice. According to King himself, it probably was the former of these two.

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
We'll just throw Isaiah 1:17, Isaiah 58:6, and Proverbs 31:8-9 out of the bible.

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., a man who went from preaching the Word to actually living by it. How awful of him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Galaxy Hunter

Jan 11, 2018
Milky Way Galaxy
✟12,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I respect and appreciate all that Dr. King accomplished. He certainly deserves to have a holiday to honor all his accomplishments and the accomplishments of others like him. What I don't like is the businesses that take MLK day off and make their employees work on President's Day. If MLK would have accomplished more than all the presidents combined it would make sense. Let's give everybody the credit they deserve. Let's love and appreciate everybody equally.

Upvote 0

WebersHome

Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-
2Tim 4:1-5 . . In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I give you this charge: Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage-- with great patience and careful instruction.

. . . For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.

. . . But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry.

While the world admires MLK Jr as a civil rights icon, Christ disdains him a subordinate who shamefully neglected the duties of his ministry as per the apostle Paul's charge. Consequently, King's works in this world will go up in smoke as wood, hay, and stubble as per 1Cor 3:9-15.

/

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
We'll just through Isaiah 1:17, Isaiah 58:6, and Proverbs 3:8-9 out of the bible.

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., a man who went from preaching the Word to actually living by it. How awful of him.

Indeed.

I don't think King was sinless or beyond criticism but I think we should take him seriously as a Christian pastor. Just because his religion didn't line up with conservative white evangelicalism isn't a good reason to dismiss him as a "social worker".

-
2Tim 4:1-5 . . In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I give you this charge: Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage-- with great patience and careful instruction.

. . . For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.

. . . But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry.

While the world admires MLK Jr as a civil rights icon, Christ disdains him a subordinate who shamefully neglected the duties of his ministry as per the apostle Paul's charge. Consequently, King's works in this world will go up in smoke as wood, hay, and stubble as per 1Cor 3:9-15.
/

You are playing with hellfire.

King was just following Bonhoeffer's example. At some point you get tired of bandaging the victims of injustice and you must break the wheel that crushes them in the first place. The idolatry of racism has no place in a Christian's soul.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It looks like you are referring to my post above, although there's no quote included. But if that's so, there is nothing in your reply that relates to what I wrote there, you know.

if I was replying to you I would quote your post.....like I did just now.

my post responded to the OP.

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Christ disdains him a subordinate who shamefully neglected the duties of his ministry

except he didn't,

we can't read verses in scripture in isolation and out of context. the apostle was instructing timothy on how to run a church. the pastoral epistle are just that, instruction on how the church services(that met in houses at the time) are to be run by their appointed leaders. it contains instruction for women in those epistles. we don't apply those rules to women outside of the operation of the church service into greater society.

your references should not be seen as the limit of how we are to engage society at large.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WebersHome

Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-
MLK Jr wasn't just another John Q and/or Jane Doe pew warmer. He was an ordained Christian minister whose rules of conduct, and whose duties and responsibilities, are spelled out in what are commonly known as the pastoral epistles; i.e. Titus, 1Timothy, and 2Timothy.

If perchance you're a young person reading this considering studying for "the ministry" be forewarned that in order to serve Christ in accord with the apostles' instructions; you'll have to accept a status as Christ's subordinate; i.e. you cannot be his minister as a free agent. Should you choose to go off on your own agenda like King did, you'll be charged with dereliction of duty and branded a deserter.

/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
It was actually people like Dr. King that forced me to take Christianity seriously as an adult, instead of continuing to avoid Christianity as irrelevant. That the Gospel is more than just selling gullible people pie in the sky, but that it should also have something to say about ethics in the real world and be able to motivate us to speak truth to power.

Upvote 0

WebersHome

Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-
Ordained Christian ministers are first and foremost shepherds whose responsibility is the care of Christ's sheep-- not the world's sheep. In other words: it is Christ's wishes that his ministers be congregational leaders rather than social leaders.

1Pet 5:1-4 . .To the elders among you, I appeal as a fellow elder, a witness of Christ's sufferings and one who also will share in the glory to be revealed:

. . . Be shepherds of God's flock that is under your care, serving as overseers-- not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not greedy for money, but eager to serve; not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock. And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away.

/

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WolfGate

Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,216.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Before I was a civil rights leader, I was a preacher of the Gospel. This was my first calling and it still remains my greatest commitment. You know, actually all that I do in civil rights I do because I consider it a part of my ministry. I have no other ambitions in life but to achieve excellence in the Christian ministry. I don't plan to run for any political office. I don't plan to do anything but remain a preacher. And what I'm doing in this struggle, along with many others, grows out of my feeling that the preacher must be concerned about the whole man."

Why Jesus Called A Man A Fool. Delivered By Dr. MartinLuther King Jr. at Mount Pisgah Missionary Baptist Church, Chicago, Illinois, on 27 August 1967.

Upvote 0

WebersHome

Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-
Why Jesus Called A Man A Fool. Delivered By Dr. MartinLuther King Jr. at Mount Pisgah Missionary Baptist Church, Chicago, Illinois, on 27 August 1967.

Rom 16:17-18 . . I urge you, brothers, beware of those who cause divisions and put obstacles in your way that are contrary to the teaching you have learned. Keep away from them. For such people are not serving our Lord Christ, but their own appetites. By smooth talk and flattery they deceive the minds of naïve people.

One of Christ's sneakiest opponents isn't a person; rather, it's a persuasive teaching method called sophistry; which Webster's defines as a reason or an argument that sounds correct but is actually false; viz: subtly deceptive reasoning or argumentation. Sophistry is typically rational and sensible; but the thing to keep in mind is that faith believes what's revealed to it rather than only what makes sense to it.

According to Eph 4:11-14 the very reason that Christ endows some of his faithful followers to speak for him is so that the rest of his faithful followers may have access to true premises upon which to build their faith.

It ain't what you know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.

(Mark Twain)

/

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
You're quoting from Paul. Paul would not approve of you using him to criticize King. Racial hierarchies were completely alien to the equality he saw among Christians.

Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

WolfGate

Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,216.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-
One of Christ's sneakiest opponents isn't a person; rather, it's a persuasive teaching method called sophistry; which Webster's defines as a reason or an argument that sounds correct but is actually false;
/

Describes your OP, which a quick second glance shows contains a complete lack of thought or common sense. The rest of your posts are no better.

You have misused scripture to try and support a bias that you have. Dr. King's own words contradict your premise. While he was an imperfect man, the sacrifices he made and fruit his life showed support his words. I believe you are stepping on dangerous ground.

Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0