Big Sandy Texas
✟7,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Martin Luther King Jr. was an apostate. This is clearly revealed in a paper entitled, ‘What Experiences of Christians Living in the Early Christian Century Led to the Christian Doctrines of the Divine Sonship of Jesus, the Virgin Birth, and the Bodily Resurrection’.

In King's theology regarding the divine Sonship of Jesus, “Jesus went through a great process of development. It seems quite evident that the early followers of Jesus in Palestine were well aware of his genuine humanity. Even the synoptic gospels picture Jesus as a victim of human experiences. Such human experiences as growth, learning, prayer, and defeat are not at all uncommon in the life of Jesus.” His desire here was to stress the point that Jesus was merely human.

How then did the idea of the divinity of Christ develop? “We may find a partial clue to the actual rise of this doctrine in the spreading of Christianity into the Greco-Roman world. I need not elaborate on the fact that the Greeks were very philosophical minded people. Through philosophical thinking the Greeks came to the point of subordinating, distrusting, and even minimizing anything physical. Anything that possessed flesh was always underminded (sic) in Greek thought. And so in order to receive inspiration from Jesus the Greeks had to apotheosize him.” (Apotheosize is to elevate to the rank of a god). King emphasizes this with a quote from another source; “the church had found God in Jesus, and so it called Jesus the Christ; and later under the influence of Greek thought-forms, the only begotten Son of God.” (George Pearce Hedley).

As for the virgin birth is concerned King believed that “the evidence for the tenability of this doctrine is too shallow to convince any objective thinker. To begin with, the earliest written documents in the New Testament make no mention of the virgin birth. Moreover, the Gospel of Mark, the most primitive and authentic of the four, gives not the slightest suggestion of the virgin birth. The effort to justify this doctrine on the grounds that it was predicted by the prophet Isaiah is immediately eliminated, for all New Testament scholars agree that the word virgin is not found in the Hebrew original, but only in the Greek text which is a mistranslation of the Hebrew word for ‘young woman’.”

As for how this doctrine developed King thought that a “clue to this inquiry may be found in a sentence from St. Justin's First Apology. Here Justin states that the birth of Jesus is quite similar to the birth of the sons of Zeus. It was believed in Greek thought that an extraordinary person could only be explained by saying that he had a father who was more than human. It is probable that this Greek idea influenced Christian thought.”

He goes on to state that “a more adequate explanation for the rise of this doctrine is found in the experience which the early Christians had with Jesus. The people saw within Jesus such a uniqueness of quality and spirit that to explain him in terms of ordinary background was to them quite inadequate. For his early followers this spiritual uniqueness could only by accounted for in terms of biological uniqueness. They were not unscientific in their approach because they had no knowledge of the scientific. They could only express themselves in terms of the pre-scientific thought patterns of their day.”

On the question of resurrection King stated that “this doctrine, upon which the Easter Faith rests, symbolizes the ultimate Christian conviction: that Christ conquered death. From a literary, historical, and philosophical point of view this doctrine raises many questions. In fact, the external evidence for the authenticity of this doctrine is found wanting. But here again the external evidence is not the most important thing, for it in itself fails to tell us precisely the thing we most want to know: What experiences of early Christians lead to the formulation of the doctrine? The root of our inquiry is found in the fact that the early Christians had lived with Jesus. They had been captivated by the magnetic power of his personality. This basic experience led to the faith that he could never die. And so in the pre-scientific thought pattern of the first century, this inner faith took outward form.”

How can anyone be a Christian and deny the divinity, virgin birth and bodily resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ?

If you take away Christ’s divinity you deny His perfection and, as a result, have no ‘Lamb without blemish’ to be sacrificed for your sins. Also, you place yourself under the sentence of death that Jesus declared for such people (see John 8:24 where the ‘I am’ is, in the Greek, ego eimi, the same divine title of Exodus 3:14).

If you take away the virgin birth you say that Jesus was conceived as the sinful seed of Adam (through Joseph – Psalms 51:5 and Psalms 58:3), rather than by the Holy Spirit. Thus He was in need of a Savior himself.

If you take away the resurrection you say that God did not approve of Jesus as the Christ for that event proved that Jesus had not sinned (death could hold Him as it does sinners) and was the satisfactory sacrifice for sin. It further shows that Jesus was acceptable to God as undergoing the death that sinners deserve, and on their behalf, thus nullifying the death penalty against those who have faith in Christ (Acts 17:31, Romans 4:24-25).

King was also heretical on other issues as an honest search of the documentation will make plain. While he could legitimately represent himself as a Civil Rights worker, and leader, he was utterly deceptive in passing himself off as a Christian and, what’s worse, as a Pastor of God’s flock.

Lords Man

Feb 15, 2016
Big Sandy Texas
✟7,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
This doesn't seem to be 'denomination-specific.' But if it is, which denomination does it concern--the Baptists?
I think that all Christians would be concerned. Forgive me if I posted it in the wrong place.

Upvote 0

Lords Man

Feb 15, 2016
Big Sandy Texas
✟7,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Martin Luther King Jr seems to be much more liberal and progressive than I had previously thought. He just rose several notches in my estimation. Thanks for pointing this out.
It is sad that you are impressed with such a deceiver. I would recommend that you consider confession of your sin before God, life altering repentance, and the receiving of a new heart, one that believe and loves God.

Upvote 0

Tiny Bible

All Lives Matter. Pray BLM Learn That.
Jan 3, 2016
whyaskthat
✟19,244.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
It is sad that you are impressed with such a deceiver. I would recommend that you consider confession of your sin before God, life altering repentance, and the receiving of a new heart, one that believe and loves God.
I'd suggest you re-read your remarks there and realize they are nonsense.
One does not confess their sin before the God they do not believe in, nor would they feel compelled to that end had they not already received a new heart.

Furthermore, I'd suggest you click this link and scroll down to the header:Flaming and Goading. And read this particular rule so as to not run afoul of it as you did in your quoted remarks to JackRT above:
Stating or implying that another Christian member, or group of members, are not Christian is not allowed.

You are entitled to make your attacks on a dead man who cannot defend himself against them. However, when you attack the faith of those who do not agree with your remarks you're out of line. The repentance therefore is on you.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,916.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Martin Luther King Jr. was an apostate. This is clearly revealed in a paper entitled, ‘What Experiences of Christians Living in the Early Christian Century Led to the Christian Doctrines of the Divine Sonship of Jesus, the Virgin Birth, and the Bodily Resurrection’.

In King's theology regarding the divine Sonship of Jesus, “Jesus went through a great process of development. It seems quite evident that the early followers of Jesus in Palestine were well aware of his genuine humanity. Even the synoptic gospels picture Jesus as a victim of human experiences. Such human experiences as growth, learning, prayer, and defeat are not at all uncommon in the life of Jesus.” His desire here was to stress the point that Jesus was merely human.

How then did the idea of the divinity of Christ develop? “We may find a partial clue to the actual rise of this doctrine in the spreading of Christianity into the Greco-Roman world. I need not elaborate on the fact that the Greeks were very philosophical minded people. Through philosophical thinking the Greeks came to the point of subordinating, distrusting, and even minimizing anything physical. Anything that possessed flesh was always underminded (sic) in Greek thought. And so in order to receive inspiration from Jesus the Greeks had to apotheosize him.” (Apotheosize is to elevate to the rank of a god). King emphasizes this with a quote from another source; “the church had found God in Jesus, and so it called Jesus the Christ; and later under the influence of Greek thought-forms, the only begotten Son of God.” (George Pearce Hedley).

As for the virgin birth is concerned King believed that “the evidence for the tenability of this doctrine is too shallow to convince any objective thinker. To begin with, the earliest written documents in the New Testament make no mention of the virgin birth. Moreover, the Gospel of Mark, the most primitive and authentic of the four, gives not the slightest suggestion of the virgin birth. The effort to justify this doctrine on the grounds that it was predicted by the prophet Isaiah is immediately eliminated, for all New Testament scholars agree that the word virgin is not found in the Hebrew original, but only in the Greek text which is a mistranslation of the Hebrew word for ‘young woman’.”

As for how this doctrine developed King thought that a “clue to this inquiry may be found in a sentence from St. Justin's First Apology. Here Justin states that the birth of Jesus is quite similar to the birth of the sons of Zeus. It was believed in Greek thought that an extraordinary person could only be explained by saying that he had a father who was more than human. It is probable that this Greek idea influenced Christian thought.”

He goes on to state that “a more adequate explanation for the rise of this doctrine is found in the experience which the early Christians had with Jesus. The people saw within Jesus such a uniqueness of quality and spirit that to explain him in terms of ordinary background was to them quite inadequate. For his early followers this spiritual uniqueness could only by accounted for in terms of biological uniqueness. They were not unscientific in their approach because they had no knowledge of the scientific. They could only express themselves in terms of the pre-scientific thought patterns of their day.”

On the question of resurrection King stated that “this doctrine, upon which the Easter Faith rests, symbolizes the ultimate Christian conviction: that Christ conquered death. From a literary, historical, and philosophical point of view this doctrine raises many questions. In fact, the external evidence for the authenticity of this doctrine is found wanting. But here again the external evidence is not the most important thing, for it in itself fails to tell us precisely the thing we most want to know: What experiences of early Christians lead to the formulation of the doctrine? The root of our inquiry is found in the fact that the early Christians had lived with Jesus. They had been captivated by the magnetic power of his personality. This basic experience led to the faith that he could never die. And so in the pre-scientific thought pattern of the first century, this inner faith took outward form.”

How can anyone be a Christian and deny the divinity, virgin birth and bodily resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ?

If you take away Christ’s divinity you deny His perfection and, as a result, have no ‘Lamb without blemish’ to be sacrificed for your sins. Also, you place yourself under the sentence of death that Jesus declared for such people (see John 8:24 where the ‘I am’ is, in the Greek, ego eimi, the same divine title of Exodus 3:14).

If you take away the virgin birth you say that Jesus was conceived as the sinful seed of Adam (through Joseph – Psalms 51:5 and Psalms 58:3), rather than by the Holy Spirit. Thus He was in need of a Savior himself.

If you take away the resurrection you say that God did not approve of Jesus as the Christ for that event proved that Jesus had not sinned (death could hold Him as it does sinners) and was the satisfactory sacrifice for sin. It further shows that Jesus was acceptable to God as undergoing the death that sinners deserve, and on their behalf, thus nullifying the death penalty against those who have faith in Christ (Acts 17:31, Romans 4:24-25).

King was also heretical on other issues as an honest search of the documentation will make plain. While he could legitimately represent himself as a Civil Rights worker, and leader, he was utterly deceptive in passing himself off as a Christian and, what’s worse, as a Pastor of God’s flock.

In reading what you posted (and i did a search for it as well), what Martin Luther King Jr. wrote, is not only un-biblical, it is, as a matter of fact, seriously heretical. I would hope that he would have later accepted and embraced WHO Jesus the Christ is, and that he would have declared and testified to it.

This is the link where i found it:

https://kinginstitute.stanford.edu/...-living-early-christian-century-led-christian

Upvote 0

Lords Man

Feb 15, 2016
Big Sandy Texas
✟7,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I'd suggest you re-read your remarks there and realize they are nonsense.
One does not confess their sin before the God they do not believe in, nor would they feel compelled to that end had they not already received a new heart.

Furthermore, I'd suggest you click this link and scroll down to the header:Flaming and Goading. And read this particular rule so as to not run afoul of it as you did in your quoted remarks to JackRT above:
Stating or implying that another Christian member, or group of members, are not Christian is not allowed.

You are entitled to make your attacks on a dead man who cannot defend himself against them. However, when you attack the faith of those who do not agree with your remarks you're out of line. The repentance therefore is on you.
Thanks but I already understand the new birth as reliant upon God's sovereign election. I also understand that we are to reveal the wolves in sheep's clothing rather than trying to hide them. My remarks are in line with the truth of Scripture therefore I need no link to help me see how I might be wrong.

Upvote 0

Lords Man

Feb 15, 2016
Big Sandy Texas
✟7,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tiny Bible

All Lives Matter. Pray BLM Learn That.
Jan 3, 2016
whyaskthat
✟19,244.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Thanks but I already understand the new birth as reliant upon God's sovereign election. I also understand that we are to reveal the wolves in sheep's clothing rather than trying to hide them. My remarks are in line with the truth of Scripture therefore I need no link to help me see how I might be wrong.
Ah, pride. One of those characteristics that God hates.
I suggest you use the link. You're on a forum by privilege not by God's sovereign election.
Furthermore, Dr.King is dead. No one worships Dr.King. No one believes him Messiah. He does not teach civil rights today. The archives of his teachings are eternal for as long as the archive itself last.

Attacking a dead black civil rights activist and pastor therefore garners you what?

And claiming to know what Christians here are not so because they disagree with your remarks is not scriptural. It is immature in the knowledge of how Christ comported himself among a diverse community of persons.
Christian = Christ like.

Helps to remember that too I think. :)

Upvote 0

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Careful! My friend be careful what you tackle. I believe that no matter how he lived, it was up to his maker upon his death is he was able to stand before his LORD and if the LORD said well don. After one passes its too late to make any changes. Let those who see the good, whatever it was in him follow those points.

I believe those who are black and see things that they wish to use for a role model are able to pick and choose those elements that are worthy to admire. Black people deserve to choose those men and women who best are examples of their color to honor. Do not deprive them of this.

Were you alive when he was? Did you ever see blacks pushed to the back of the bus? Did you ever go to an eating place that divided whites from blacks? Do you have any black friends? Finally what would Jesus tell us white people to do to up lift so many who have been treated like second class citizens?

I have been a friend of black brothers and sisters for many years.

I will add its not just black people who are pushed to the back of life's buss, any people of color other than white have lived a hard life just to stay even with most white people.

Jesus was NOT white! Think about that.

Upvote 0

Tina W

Dec 24, 2014
Arizona, USA
✟20,523.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
If that's what he really wrote, it could have been written when he was young (he went to college when he was 15 yrs old) in a time when he was in his seeking God phase, or question everything phase, just before he came to know the truth. Or it could have been a writing taken out of context where he was instructed to write a paper in favor of the opposite side in which he really believes in college. Sometimes teachers tell people to do that because anyone can write convincingly about something they believe in. ;) But Martin Luther King was definitely a Christian and led by God no doubt about that. :) :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

Robinrocks

Jan 28, 2018
Montreal
✟15,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well I guess MLK was a Christian since he believed that violence and hatred could only be conquered by love and forgiveness. Btw, if someone is interested in visiting prominent places associated with life of Martin Luther KIng, there is a tour map showing where he worked and lived.

Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well I guess MLK was a Christian since he believed that violence and hatred could only be conquered by love and forgiveness. Btw, if someone is interested in visiting prominent places associated with life of Martin Luther KIng, there is a tour map showing where he worked and lived.

That guess of yours has a very solid foundation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married

I have never before read any Of Martin Luther King Jr.'s theology. He impresses me as a mature thoughtful Christian who was unafraid of expressing his thoughts openly. We need far more of the sort of Christian in our world today. I thank God for his life and work.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟366,596.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I know plenty of Atheists who would agree to that. And members of other religions, too.

This brings to mind my visit to the Cathedral of St. John the Divine in 1973. Among its many architectural splendors is a set of nineteen statues near the chancel, each representing the model Christian of each century of Christian history. The first statue is that of St. Paul. Obviously there have been more than nineteen centuries of Christian history. There is a place for a twentieth statue, but no more room after that. My guide, a deacon, said that the designers (perhaps theologians?) had determined that Christ would return prior to the end of the twentieth century (which, obviously, did not happen). He speculated that the twentieth statue would be that of Martin Luther King, Jr.

I have not had the opportunity to return to see what, if any, statue has been installed for the twentieth century. However, I see on the internet that they decided on not one, not two, not three, but four eminent figures standing in a sort of group hug.

Martin Luther King, Jr., Albert Einstein, Susan B. Anthony, and Mahatma Gandhi

gouptogether.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tz620q

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟573,016.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This brings to mind my visit to the Cathedral of St. John the Divine in 1973. Among its many architectural splendors is a set of nineteen statues near the chancel, each representing the model Christian of each century of Christian history. The first statue is that of St. Paul. Obviously there have been more than nineteen centuries of Christian history. There is a place for a twentieth statue, but no more room after that. My guide, a deacon, said that the designers (perhaps theologians?) had determined that Christ would return prior to the end of the twentieth century (which, obviously, did not happen). He speculated that the twentieth statue would be that of Martin Luther King, Jr.

I have not had the opportunity to return to see what, if any, statue has been installed for the twentieth century. However, I see on the internet that they decided on not one, not two, not three, but four eminent figures standing in a sort of group hug.

Martin Luther King, Jr., Albert Einstein, Susan B. Anthony, and Mahatma Gandhi

gouptogether.jpg
I recognize MLK on the left and Gandhi on the right. My guess is that the guy next to Gandhi is Bill Clinton. What sealed it for me is that his hand seems to be fondling the front of the guy to his right, with the shocked look on his face.

• Haha
Reactions: SolomonVII
Upvote 0