Oregon
✟19,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
does anyone do Martial Arts for fitness & self defense??? if so what style? this is one of my inrerests for fitness right now, if I did decide in the future to take a class or get a book on the subject i'm thinking about Judo, what styles could anyone recommend???

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I used to do wing chun kung fu and Okinawan Karate, but it has been a while. I will pick it up again in the future with my son when he is old enough, probably a kung fu style.

if I did decide in the future to take a class or get a book on the subject i'm thinking about Judo, what styles could anyone recommend???
That depends on your goals and available teachers in your area. Tae Kwon Do dojo are ubiquitous and it can be good exercise. Kung Fu styles are varied....judo and aikido are also good.

All styles can be good for what they were designed for. But what you get out of them is what you put into them, and what your goals are. I would recommend books as a supplement, to really learn properly you need a good teacher, IMO.

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
does anyone do Martial Arts for fitness & self defense??? if so what style? this is one of my inrerests for fitness right now, if I did decide in the future to take a class or get a book on the subject i'm thinking about Judo, what styles could anyone recommend???
Did you start Judo? I'm hoping to either start Judo or join a Rugby league team when all this virus stuff is over. I really think Judo amongst the most effective martial arts. Also they don't tend to "throw you" in the deep end as with some of the others I'll mention. Other's I'd recommend are BJJ, Muay Thai, Boxing or MMA if the school is good.

I think you'd have a tough time not being dumped on your head if you got into a fight with a good Judoka.

Reactions: shortangel
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I was only in one serious fight in my 77 years. I was 20 and it was an attempted mugging by three guys about my age. I took the offensive and my first punch ended it. I then had to pick tooth fragments out of my fist and stop the bleeding.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Julian of Norwich

English Catholic
Nov 10, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟81,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Tai Chi is a martial art performed in slow motion. Sped up it is very effective and deadly.

That's interesting! I've been looking to take it up (but not for the deadly part-the exercise and balance), but I haven't been able to find any classes nearby. And now, with the total lockdown becoming more sure everyday here again, I don't think it will be soon.

Upvote 0

GirdYourLoins

Nov 27, 2016
Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A lot of martial arts have different techniques and aims. Karate is more punching and kicking progressing to weapons, judo all about grabbing and throwing your opponent, Tae kwon do is primarily kicking, others vary with punching, kicking, throwing and weapons. Krav maga is a form of self defence. Probably an idea to look at what you want from it and choose that way.

Its also worth considering what the spiritual aspects of each are, some lead you very much into eastern spiritualism and religion, which I would not recommend for a Christian.

Upvote 0

Julian of Norwich

English Catholic
Nov 10, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟81,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
My teenage grandson adored Tai Kwon Do. His father was a black belt in it and he (when he had to quit) was a blue (and white?) belt. He was looking to be really good and was a natural. When his parents can afford it again I hope he takes it back up!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

now-feel-alive

Aug 16, 2020
Sterling Heights
✟7,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Assyrian Church of the East
Marital Status
Celibate
Hi, if you want to practice on your own for a while, Youtube GingerNinjaTrickster for beginner standup tutorials for taekwondo. Youtube Fighttips for beginner standup tutorials for muay thai. They break down the fundamentals of striking so that you can train your muscles to maneuver each position in flow, like a dance.

Youtube Chewjitsu tutorials for some groundwork/grappling; Brazilian jiu-jitsu. This sport is based on gaining control without having to applying much force. Judo/takedowns are part of jiu-jitsu.

Look up Jeet Kun Do for a combination of all relevant fight styles, as taught by Bruce Lee. By this time, you will know which sport is best suited for you at any given moment. Enjoy!

Upvote 0

ChristServant

Aug 23, 2020
South
✟26,634.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I would say kickboxing and some form of groundwork like Judo. This covers all bases, punching kicking and grappling.

Upvote 0

Joyous Song

Jun 5, 2020
Buffalo
✟46,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do Ti Chi twice to three times a week. I started to learn this from a book The idiots Guide to Ti Chi, and doing Ti Chi made me fit enough to start Steve Zims balanced exercise program. Yet I still do Ti Chi as it gives my developing muscles greater flexibility and reduces the chance of injury while I exercise. I strongly recommend learning either Ti Chi or Yoga. Ti Chi for people who meed to move, it flows though stances and resembles a dance or fighting dance. Yoga is poses which works for those who prefer one exercise after another and less movement.

Upvote 0

Justin-H.S.

May 8, 2020
The Shire
✟115,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Tai Chi is a martial art performed in slow motion. Sped up it is very effective and deadly.

TMAs are more romantic than effective. The entirety of the 90s showed us that. The Chinese, however, are stuck in the past. They don't like their traditional arts being shown up for the paper tigers they actually are. Basically, they got left in the dust as the rest of the martial arts world passed them by.

Effective martial arts (which stood the test of time):
  • boxing
  • wrestling (catch or greco roman)
  • judo
  • jiu jitsu
  • sambo
  • Muay Thai
  • karate
These arts are what the top level guys are all cross training in. You need decent striking and grappling. A lot of guys are mixing up Muay Thai and wrestling or jiu jitsu. If you focus on jiu jitsu for grappling, you need a decent takedown game because jiu jitsu doesn't really emphasize take downs. You'll see a lot of judo guys take up boxing as their striking, because judo is terrific for takedowns and has decent grappling. As you can guess, many D1 wrestlers who take up jiu jitsu find themselves advancing fairly quickly as soon as they get the muscle memory to disregard wrestling rules. Throw some boxing in the mix and you got yourself a deadly fighter.

Just watch any video with a Tai Chi master (or whatever TMA master) go up against a modern fighter. I wouldn't really call Tai Chi effective or deadly. It's possible that it could've been those things back in the 19th century.

It'd be akin to Floyd Mayweather fighting this guy:
CharlieMitchell.jpg

He might've been a tough dude back in the day, but there's just so many techniques now. It's an outmoded way of fighting.

I'd use TMAs more for physical exercise. I guess in an absolute pinch it'd be better than nothing at all.

Upvote 0