• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Martial Arts & Judo

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by shortangel, May 5, 2020.

1. shortangel

shortangel Member

+53
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    does anyone do Martial Arts for fitness & self defense??? if so what style? this is one of my inrerests for fitness right now, if I did decide in the future to take a class or get a book on the subject i'm thinking about Judo, what styles could anyone recommend???

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. tampasteve

tampasteve ✞Steadfast Lutheran, Messianic leaning ✡ Staff Member Administrator CF Senior Ambassador Angels Team Supporter

+3,491
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
    I used to do wing chun kung fu and Okinawan Karate, but it has been a while. I will pick it up again in the future with my son when he is old enough, probably a kung fu style.

That depends on your goals and available teachers in your area. Tae Kwon Do dojo are ubiquitous and it can be good exercise. Kung Fu styles are varied....judo and aikido are also good.

All styles can be good for what they were designed for. But what you get out of them is what you put into them, and what your goals are. I would recommend books as a supplement, to really learn properly you need a good teacher, IMO.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. shortangel

shortangel Member

+53
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    thank you so much forv your response I will consider those styles :) any other styles????

4. Aspzan

Aspzan Well-Known Member Supporter

+668
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Single
    Did you start Judo? I'm hoping to either start Judo or join a Rugby league team when all this virus stuff is over. I really think Judo amongst the most effective martial arts. Also they don't tend to "throw you" in the deep end as with some of the others I'll mention. Other's I'd recommend are BJJ, Muay Thai, Boxing or MMA if the school is good.

I think you'd have a tough time not being dumped on your head if you got into a fight with a good Judoka.

5. Akita Suggagaki

Akita Suggagaki Well-Known Member

+1,040
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    Jiu-Jitsu, though I have not had time to really get it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. shortangel

shortangel Member

+53
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    nope i haven't joined a class yet because covid-19 cases have risen here in Eastern OR

7. Lord Give Me A Sign

Lord Give Me A Sign Newbie

+287
    Christian
    Single
    Boxing would be the easiest to practice at home. It seemed like punching was very natural for me but kicking is taking alot more time to learn. It takes a good amount of stretching and practice

8. Justin-H.S.

Justin-H.S. Retrograde

+125
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Engaged
    I do the bjj. (brazilian jiu jitsu)

9. JackRT

JackRT Well-Known Member Supporter

+15,230
    Canada
    Christian
    Married
    I was only in one serious fight in my 77 years. I was 20 and it was an attempted mugging by three guys about my age. I took the offensive and my first punch ended it. I then had to pick tooth fragments out of my fist and stop the bleeding.

10. Lost4words

Lost4words Jesus I Trust In You Supporter

+6,620
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Single
    I used to do bow wow kung fu.

11. Julian of Norwich

Julian of Norwich Anglican Catholic

+357
    United States
    Anglican
    Single
    US-American-Solidarity
    Is Tai Chi considered a martial art?

12. JackRT

JackRT Well-Known Member Supporter

+15,230
    Canada
    Christian
    Married
    Tai Chi is a martial art performed in slow motion. Sped up it is very effective and deadly.

13. Julian of Norwich

+357
    United States
    Anglican
    Single
    US-American-Solidarity
    That's interesting! I've been looking to take it up (but not for the deadly part-the exercise and balance), but I haven't been able to find any classes nearby. And now, with the total lockdown becoming more sure everyday here again, I don't think it will be soon.

14. GirdYourLoins

GirdYourLoins Well-Known Member

+693
    Pentecostal
    Married
    UK-Conservative
    A lot of martial arts have different techniques and aims. Karate is more punching and kicking progressing to weapons, judo all about grabbing and throwing your opponent, Tae kwon do is primarily kicking, others vary with punching, kicking, throwing and weapons. Krav maga is a form of self defence. Probably an idea to look at what you want from it and choose that way.

Its also worth considering what the spiritual aspects of each are, some lead you very much into eastern spiritualism and religion, which I would not recommend for a Christian.

15. Julian of Norwich

+357
    United States
    Anglican
    Single
    US-American-Solidarity
    My teenage grandson adored Tai Kwon Do. His father was a black belt in it and he (when he had to quit) was a blue (and white?) belt. He was looking to be really good and was a natural. When his parents can afford it again I hope he takes it back up!