Canada
✟7,615.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
that really it..... this is not a church for the Bible belt...... my assessment is that this is most a church of first generation Christians... and more gen-X and gen-Y people. IF you've been in church most your life or have a multi-generations of christians in your family thsi is likely not a church for you....
I loved to have a church in Edmonton like this..... but most churches here are a decade behind

Upvote 0

Bella Vita

Sailor in the U.S.N
May 18, 2011
✟10,239.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I love Driscoll and I connect with his teachings a lot. He is not a cult his church is moving and growing at a rate that other churches only dream of God is obviously blessing the ministry. Not only is it growing but it is growing in an area that is extremely hard to reach and has the highest amount of non-believers in the country. If you personally aren't comfortable that is fine move on to something else but you shouldn't go around labeling ministries as cults that is a little extreme.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Matariki

Love the Lord with all your heart, soul and MIND
Jan 24, 2011
New Zealand
✟8,620.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Its a mega church with a comedian preaching. Think of it as you will. I don't think its a cult, I've seen cults in person, his church and his preaching doesn't fit the criteria. I listen to him once in a while.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 24, 2011
Seattle, Washington
✟7,671.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just posted my experience on a Marshillrecovery blog under the comments for God's Special Angel. (sorry it will not let me post this link yet because I have just joined)

I really like this blog because it is more focused on the recovery from spiritual abuse rather than debating if Mars Hills is a cult.

I will note that when I was sent the church discipline letter by email that I did ask the leaders of the Mars Hilll church that I was attending if Mars Hill was a cult. I let them know that I had left the Mormon church ten years before a milestone birthday and before 9/11. I told them that their actions were reminding me of the Mormon church and that it was causing me a lot of pain. And I urged the leaders to use the Holy Spirit. There was no response from the leaders. So I emailed them back and told them that I no longer wanted to be part of the church. And then a couple of days later, the Christian friend that was included in the Church Discipline Letter emailed and said "It is with a heavy heart that you are leaving, are you sure that you are not running away." It was like she was not thinking for herself and was told what to say. That friend had told me that before when I told her that I wanted to go to another community group--are you sure that you are not running away.

And I did get a response from leader of the second community group that I was in that said, "Regardless if you got a response back from Mars Hill or not, it is important to know that Mars Hill is not a cult. Cults (like Mormonism) don't worship Jesus as God NOR emphasize true repentance from sin or GRACE and freedom from sin through the Cross."

I have to be honest that it is going to take time for me to heal from my "Mars Hill" experience. I went through spiritual abuse there, and they just kept saying that it was their way of loving me.

It is something that we really have to give to God. And in the end, it is about God's glory.

Upvote 0
Sep 24, 2011
Seattle, Washington
✟7,671.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All of us have to start somewhere, even with our first post. JM, both of us are children of God. Have you been to Mars Hill?

This is about spiritual abuse. I am not laughing. I was really hurt at this church. This is about the truth. This is not about attacking a minister. I really wish this never happened at Mars Hill. And I have attended Mars Hill.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bella Vita

Sailor in the U.S.N
May 18, 2011
✟10,239.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Keep in mind there are two Mars Hill Churches both are very popular mega churches. So people here need to make sure they are talking about the right one. Driscoll's Mars Hill is located in Seattle Washington. Rick Warren's Mars Hill Is a different church all together.

Upvote 0
D

dies-l

Keep in mind there are two Mars Hill Churches both are very popular mega churches. So people here need to make sure they are talking about the right one. Driscoll's Mars Hill is located in Seattle Washington. Rick Warren's Mars Hill Is a different church all together.

Rick Warren's church is Saddleback. I think you are referring to Mars Hill in GR, which was pastored by Rob Bell who will soon (if not already) be replaced by Shane Hipps.

Upvote 0

Bella Vita

Sailor in the U.S.N
May 18, 2011
✟10,239.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Rick Warren's church is Saddleback. I think you are referring to Mars Hill in GR, which was pastored by Rob Bell who will soon (if not already) be replaced by Shane Hipps.

Oh yes that is what I meant. Anyways I was just reminding people there are two LOL.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
B

Blessedj01

Christians are cultists. ;)

Wow, this is actually so interesting right now. I'm JUST about to load up a sermon from Mars Hill. I sometimes enjoy listening to Mark Driscoll, sometimes he's really knowledgeable. There's been times I wasn't so keen (like when he wore a "DJ Jesus" t-shirt, or when he said that video-games were 'stupid' but later admitted watching MMA on the television).

However, I do think these things are just honest mistakes. Or good intentions that have been carried too far until the pastor makes himself look like an idiot. You know what? I don't hold it against him. I think he's a fellow Christian like us, he makes mistakes (like us) and he's had a few muck-ups (like us), but he's fighting for the truth, like us.

There may be an element of personality cult. I don't know. I just watch the videos from time the time. The worship music -is- terrible, I've heard it, don't like it - but it's not evil in and of itself. It just sucks (imo). That's fine. I don't know what musical tastes his congregation has. Maybe they wouldn't like my rap. Who knows. Oh and maybe the church is too big for it's boots, this tends to happen in mega-churches...but let's not denounce people too quickly aye.

Anyway. My point is that I think he delivers good, on-point sermons 99% of the time. He mucked up a few times in my eyes, but just like anyone else - he can be corrected. I believe he has admitted this actually in a few sermons. That's my take.

Upvote 0
B

Blessedj01

Yeah, tends to happen in these ultra-modern, rich, massive churches. The last one I was at felt like that too. I see a bit of it in every church. In my life I have only met one pastor who spent time on me personally, who didn't just smile at me and give me the usual work-over.

I wonder if he's aware of it or if he's not. Oh and I'm not saying he is or not, but just assuming you know what you're talking about.

...guess what. This pastor who spent time on me (he even prayed for me for years, had my name on a bookmark)...he was a Baptist! ;) Oh and I can't forget the Baptist youth pastor as well! Haha. Oh man, how I miss those guys sometimes when I'm up in these trendy churches being convinced I have to tithe every five minutes.

Upvote 0