USA
✟14,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Lol; you don't marry Jesus when you become a nun, if that's what you're asking. That's bridal mysticism. It's not literal. You join him in a union by devoting your life to Him, which can be compared to marriage especially in the context of female monasticism. You will almost never see a comparison like that in male monasticism(monkhood). Another example of this kind of mysticism in vocation is when a Priest is ordained he marries the Church (at least in the Latin Rite. Eastern rite priests can get married).

To answer your question: no, you don't have to be a virgin but you must be celibate, and if you're going to be a Catholic nun then yes, you will have to be Catholic. There are Orthodox, Anglican and Lutheran(??) nuns as far as I know of.

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm curious on how to marry Jesus. Do you have to be Catholic and be a virgin?

Actually, while I'm not arguing with your above responses, I'd say there is nothing wrong with practicing a little Christian mysticism, so long as you don't twist scripture in order to do it.

But for starters, no. You don't need to be a nun or a virgin to reflect what the bride of Christ should be with your life. Simply work towards adorning yourself with the beauty of inner holiness and devotion to Him. Spend your time with Him, and express your love and admiration for Him. Give your time to siting at His feet, and letting Him teach you His word. And ask to experience His presence during worship and prayer. If you ask for these things long enough and ardently enough, you can rest assured that He will come to you.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm curious on how to marry Jesus. Do you have to be Catholic and be a virgin?
Well, the Church is the Bride of Christ. I never quite understood the concept of marrying Jesus. We (Orthodox) do have women who dedicate themselves to God and commit to be virgins their entire lives, just as we have men who do that. The early Church actually had an order in the Church for virgins. You can see the scriptural support for that in Paul's epistles.

Marrying Jesus on the other hand - I've only heard of that concept in the Roman Catholic Church. We, as members of the Body of Christ, are already His Bride. Yes, virgins can be consecrated to be dedicated solely to God and not be married to anyone else here on earth.

Please don't consider this to be a judgment but rather some thoughts on the matter. :) Consecrating and dedicating your life to God is a special act to do. We all have our own vocations and paths - and I pray that you are able to follow yours as God guides you.

Upvote 0