Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Interesting that God built the line of Jesus through an adulterous affair and then a polygamous marriage...Bathsheba and David.
God the Father even allowed a sinful human being like mary to have his Holy and unblemished child. didn't negate the fact that mary was a fallen son or daughter in adam like the rest of us.

david was punished and the child they had died.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
even though he left her...

i explained to you why He overlooked it.

you consider this a big enough deal to say what is plainly layed out in scripture is not saying what it's saying because.......mu' feelz.

No, I read the Word of God and don't see legalism but rather the condemnation of legalism. I see what Jesus said...two commandments ... love God and love your neighbor ... and test against those. Punishing a person for the sins of another is not God's nature and isn't even the teaching of most Christian religions. I don't know of any but I will leave room for some legalistic sect of Christianity.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
God the Father even allowed a sinful human being like mary to have his Holy and unblemished child. didn't negate the fact that mary was a fallen son or daughter in adam like the rest of us.

david was punished and the child they had died.

Only their first one. Solomon was also their child.

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
see what Jesus said...two commandments ... love God

can't say anyone is doing that who refuses to abide by His ruling on divorce and remarriage. I didn't write matthew 5:31-32 or matthew 19:9, nor did I write john 14:23-24

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Only their first one. Solomon was also their child.

doesn't negate the fact that he was punished by losing his first born, having his family corrupted and God killing people in his kingdom for what he did. doesn't seem like God overlooked that though He did ultimately show him mercy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Burn4U

Jun 28, 2019
Queensland
✟1,122.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Private
The thing is, are we talking Old Testament or New Testament teachings? The Old Testament justifies just about ANY reason that divorce and marriage is allowed, while the New Testament does not.

The woman in question, of course has been married 3 times and well, that's an entirely red flag altogether, said that Christians tend to do away with Old Testament stuff. Perhaps it's her old school Presbyterian teaching emphasizes this.

So which Testament should we go with?
That's for you to decide, don't you think? Why follow the thing's people tell you they don't really know? If you follow other peoples ideas, then you're living their lives and not yours.

Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
To me there would be much to consider, like how much time has it been since her last divorce, how many men has she seen since then and what was the nature of those relationships.

The main reason for this is because of the damage caused in breakups. If you don't heal from it, and keep piling on more, it can really make it difficult to make good choices in future relationships and warp your view of the opposite sex and relationships in general.

If you decide to keep going with this lady, it is something that needs to be pursued very slowly and cautiously, and you need to be able to see if she has healthy relationships with friends and co-workers and family members. Be patient, but also be vigilant.

I doubt you'll continue to try though because you seem to think people who are divorced are not truly Christians, or aren't good enough as Christians. One thing I've observed about your posts and topics is that have very heavy opinions about others and base your relationship pursuits on that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Matt 5:32 KJV
But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving. for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and. whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

Actually, if you read the words of Jesus. The first sin that starts this whole domino affect puts the sin on the husband who divorces his wife (except when she sexually cheated). It says she has committed adultery by being divorced (or is it implying that she will likely remarry). It doesn't say that only if she gets remarried. I think the weight of the sin of adultery is on the MAN who put his wife away.

Is the church teaching this? Do you associate with men who are divorced and not actively attempting to reconcile with their ex-wives? Have you actually confronted divorced men about the importance of trying to win their ex-wives back and love them the way they are commanded to?
If he causes her to commit adultery, then the assumption is that she will remarry, and thereby commit adultery. And the second man commits adultery, clearly. I'm not going to encourage anyone to be the second man. Just because one person starts a domino effect of sin doesn't mean that others who sin in response are off the hook.

I don't remember where it says that if you were cheated on, it is okay to remarry. I thought it was just okay to divorce.
Funny, that me, someone who is legally allowed to remarry is more compassionate and less judgemental of a person who has a failed marriage. Maybe it is because I do understand how hard it is to stay married in a society that encourages and accepts giving up. I am not willing to stand in front of God on day and say that I judged someone who left a marriage that harmed him/her and their kids. I am not judgmental enough to refuse to love someone who is divorced. This falls under legalism and can't see how it fits under the two commandments given by Jesus...to love the Lord, your God and to love your neighbor .. I'd be afraid to marry an older person who thinks that they are "better" because they haven't divorced ... either with the sin of having sex outside of marriage .... or pious virginity. It would be hard to live with someone who values pride over compassion. And there is nothing particularly pious about a virgin who is only a virgin out of lack of opportunity.
Good luck finding that perfect mate who is as sinfree as you are. Marriage is genuine hard work. Personally, I'd have no problems considering marrying someone who is humble about the failure of their marriage. I don't feel prideful enough to believe that anyone, including myself, has not made a lot of mistakes in life and has lost the chance to love and be loved.
You have your opinion, I have Scripture.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'll leave this here:

Is it a Sin to Marry a Divorced Person?

Towards the end...

So let's just put a cap on all of this. Because we are broken, we sin, but we are forgiven through the grace of God. Divorce is not the unforgiven sin; unbelief is. You have to search your own heart, asking God if this is the woman for you. If her past and how she divorced is a problem for you, then you shouldn't marry her. God will tell you what is right for you. Remember, guilt is from the enemy and conviction is from God.
The "she" failed to Biblically justify her position that marrying a divorcee is OK. And she talked about the unforgivable sin, which really has nothing to do with this. Can divorce be forgiven? Yes. Can remarriage be forgiven? Yes. But you have to repent of them. And repenting of an adulterous relationship is painful and disruptive for everyone involved. Therefore, don't put yourself in that position where you would have to repent of it.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
It occurred to me. I've always wondered why there are SO many divorced Christians out there? I mean, how can you call yourself "Christian" if you had jumped on the band wagon with the rest of the world because you married a piece of crap spouse that abuses you, drugs, and whatever else?

People marry for many reasons (emotions, folly, finances, pregnancy, etc.) which rarely are revealed in general discussions.

I once had a woman admit that her pastor refused her marriage request. She didn’t heed his counsel and sought someone who would. They’re divorced and she admits the error.

Mistakes happen. I’m not advocating divorce and I’ve never married. While I acknowledge my ambivalence about divorced prospects and children; in some respects the bias seems unfair.

I’ve made my share of mistakes but they aren’t the sort that limit my marriage options. Is it fair to hold the same against someone else? I don’t know.

Sometimes you have to focus on the other qualities which meet your needs to gauge the flaw in its proper guise.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
No, just sent her away when he was her provider.

He deserted her after promising to love her as himself and becoming the head of the family.

That is a horrible way for a woman to sin. I think all women should repent of marrying men who might divorce them.

Upvote 0

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟186,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
He deserted her after promising to love her as himself and becoming the head of the family.

That is a horrible way for a woman to sin. I think all women should repent of marrying men who might divorce them.

The thing is, the main "out" she has is when he (the one that "sent her away") starts to get involved with another woman. Which he is already and that relieves her of her obligation to be faithful to him anyway.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

The sin on her part is marrying another man afterward. And he sins, too. And the original husband sins. It's not that hard to get
when you read the text honestly.

• Agree
Reactions: S.O.J.I.A.
Upvote 0