Fayetteville, NC
✟13,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My wife and I have been married for 18+ years. We have been separated since Feb. I am wanting prayer for reconciliation. I registered for Christian Forums to ask a question and get counsel from other believers and for prayer for the following. My wife confessed to me in April that she committed adultery in March of this year. It was very painful. I have forgiven her from my heart. My issue that I deal with in a large part is jealousy. But I have been struggling with wanting to know who the other person was. It consumes me at times and comes into my mind without warning at times. Is it proper for me to want to know who the other person is? Should I even be concerned about it? How do I handle it in light of scriptural truth. The only thing that comes to mind immediately is that verse in Hebrews, "whoremongers and adulterers, God will judge. What should be my attitude towards all this?

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My wife and I have been married for 18+ years. We have been separated since Feb. I am wanting prayer for reconciliation. I registered for Christian Forums to ask a question and get counsel from other believers and for prayer for the following. My wife confessed to me in April that she committed adultery in March of this year. It was very painful. I have forgiven her from my heart. My issue that I deal with in a large part is jealousy. But I have been struggling with wanting to know who the other person was. It consumes me at times and comes into my mind without warning at times. Is it proper for me to want to know who the other person is? Should I even be concerned about it? How do I handle it in light of scriptural truth. The only thing that comes to mind immediately is that verse in Hebrews, "whoremongers and adulterers, God will judge. What should be my attitude towards all this?
Hi; you don't need to answer this, but you might want to review what your mutual attitude and practice was towards each other in the time prior to when she strayed. Now that you have forgiven her, what can you guys learn from this period prior to when she stayed? You don't need to tell us if you used different beds, for example.

Prayer and the Scriptures together is so valuable.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,064,847.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Father I pray blessings on this request, this marriage, restoration, and for a victorious life that will bring you glory in Jesus name I pray. Also taking these needs before God in prayer on the bbnradio.org Family Altar program... BBN Program Schedule

Upvote 0

Truthfrees

Site Supporter
May 20, 2015
✟277,188.00
Faith
Word of Faith
praying for you to heal from this trauma

wondering who it is would be a natural question

finding out who it is might do more harm than good

jealousy is also natural

it's these kinds of things you need healing for

praying for God to mend all that has been broken by her infidelity - and also to heal the issue that caused her infidelity

praying that when both you and your wife are healed you will have an amazing relationship

when a relationship is too good to throw away we have no choice but to get beyond the issue

but it has to be done with God's healing power - because without God's healing power the hurt/pain will create mistrust - and mistrust will breed anger - and that kind of thing will also destroy the relationship

prayers and blessings my friend

Upvote 0

jajejllc

Aug 21, 2017
Fayetteville, NC
✟13,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
praying for you to heal from this trauma

wondering who it is would be a natural question

finding out who it is might do more harm than good

jealousy is also natural

it's these kinds of things you need healing for

praying for God to mend all that has been broken by her infidelity - and also to heal the issue that caused her infidelity

praying that when both you and your wife are healed you will have an amazing relationship

when a relationship is too good to throw away we have no choice but to get beyond the issue

but it has to be done with God's healing power - because without God's healing power the hurt/pain will create mistrust - and mistrust will breed anger - and that kind of thing will also destroy the relationship

prayers and blessings my friend

I have forgiven my wife from my heart the best I know how to forgive. Our courtship over 18 years ago was built on me reading the Bible to her. Shortly after we were married, anger that had been pent up inside me from an abusive childhood came out and I humiliated and hurt her much. This cycle continued on and off throughout the years but to a lesser degree. I struggled with inappropriate contentography, which obviously hurt her much. I have been to many counseling sessions and recovery program for all the hurts I was dealing with and for my inappropriate contentography issue. God has done much healing in my life and given me freedom from my past. But through the process, my wife was hurt deeply and her default is to get away and leave. I love her much and want our marriage to be reconciled to the glory of God. Not sure what else to say. A specific issue I was dealing with recently was the "who was it" issue. Thanks for the replies. Any further counsel grounded in the truth of God's word is appreciated.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have forgiven my wife from my heart the best I know how to forgive. Our courtship over 18 years ago was built on me reading the Bible to her. Shortly after we were married, anger that had been pent up inside me from an abusive childhood came out and I humiliated and hurt her much. This cycle continued on and off throughout the years but to a lesser degree. I struggled with inappropriate contentography, which obviously hurt her much. I have been to many counseling sessions and recovery program for all the hurts I was dealing with and for my inappropriate contentography issue. God has done much healing in my life and given me freedom from my past. But through the process, my wife was hurt deeply and her default is to get away and leave. I love her much and want our marriage to be reconciled to the glory of God. Not sure what else to say. A specific issue I was dealing with recently was the "who was it" issue. Thanks for the replies. Any further counsel grounded in the truth of God's word is appreciated.
1 Corinthians 7 is a relevant passage. Her frustration may include that you expressed your interests in another direction instead of in her direction. You don't need to tell us, but think how this aspect may affect her thinking still.

Upvote 0

Truthfrees

Site Supporter
May 20, 2015
✟277,188.00
Faith
Word of Faith
amen

so hurt on both sides

and our hurts sometime do start with our childhood experience - so they are deep rooted

the good thing is that the whole sorry mess is NOT impossible for God to heal

these kinds of things look hopelessly complicated to us, but continued prayer does for sure get answered by God - with amazing results

praying for you and your wife for healing of her and your - emotions - memories - fear - mistrust - anger - woundedness - unforgiveness - shame/guilt - confusion - poor self image - destructive compulsions

also praying that as you are separated at this time that your hearts will grow found due to absence - and that both of you can grow closer to God

praying protection and healing of your marriage - Mark 10:9, MAtthew 19:6, Psalms 91, Isaiah 54:17

Upvote 0

jajejllc

Aug 21, 2017
Fayetteville, NC
✟13,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
amen

so hurt on both sides

and our hurts sometime do start with our childhood experience - so they are deep rooted

the good thing is that the whole sorry mess is NOT impossible for God to heal

these kinds of things look hopelessly complicated to us, but continued prayer does for sure get answered by God - with amazing results

praying for you and your wife for healing of her and your - emotions - memories - fear - mistrust - anger - woundedness - unforgiveness - shame/guilt - confusion - poor self image - destructive compulsions

also praying that as you are separated at this time that your hearts will grow found due to absence - and that both of you can grow closer to God

praying protection and healing of your marriage - Mark 10:9, MAtthew 19:6, Psalms 91, Isaiah 54:17
Thank you much. I desire prayers, especially for the manner you have stated. I love my Saviour. He has been so good to me. I want Him to be honored through all this. He deserves all the glory.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thank you much. I desire prayers, especially for the manner you have stated. I love my Saviour. He has been so good to me. I want Him to be honored through all this. He deserves all the glory.

See if you guys can work it this way also:

"Thank you much. We desire prayers, especially for the manner you have stated. We love our Saviour. He has been so good to us. We want Him to be honored through all this. He deserves all the glory."

Upvote 0

jajejllc

Aug 21, 2017
Fayetteville, NC
✟13,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
See if you guys can work it this way also:

"Thank you much. We desire prayers, especially for the manner you have stated. We love our Saviour. He has been so good to us. We want Him to be honored through all this. He deserves all the glory."
Wow. That is good. That is my hope. "We" and not "I". I will work on the "We". Thank you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jajejllc

Aug 21, 2017
Fayetteville, NC
✟13,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You don't need to tell us, but figure also what for her would be ideal sleeping arrangements for both of you.

:prayer:
Well for knowledge of the situation, I am currently renting a room from an older lady in our neighborhood and have been since Feb. I moved out in Feb, because my wife said she was going to leave. To keep her from leaving the home and the children, I decided to move out instead. She is against me moving back into the house at this time. She is in our home with our five younger children and continues to homeschool them. She is an awesome woman. I still interact with the children at our home.

Upvote 0

Bluerose31

Christian Flower
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
US
✟419,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am very sorry that she committed adultery. I am praying for you, that God heal you in your heart. That is beautiful that you were able to forgive her. Forgiveness is a very hard thing to do often times. I think you should not be concerned who she committed adultery with. I hope your wife repents in her heart for the sin she committed. I will pray for the reconciliation of you both.

• Prayers
Reactions: Pilgrim
Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My wife and I have both come from horrible childhoods before the authorities wanted to hear about it. Family matters were just that and no one touched them. We have had to do work out a lot of recovery of those damages psychologically along with becoming new creations in Christ spiritually. Our marriage of over 42 yrs has been a rough and hard-working relationship with a lot of pain in its wake; but it remains grounded in Christ. If you have time and a desire to read to find answers to your questions and the others you are not aware of yet which you will also be asking, maybe you could find something helpful here, we have:

• "Changes That Heal" by Dr. Henry Cloud (His intro is real good)
  • "Life's Healing Choices" John Baker
  • "Seven keys to Spiritual Renewal" Stephen Arterburn and David Stoop
  • "Healing of Damaged Emotions" David A. Seamand
  • "Boundaries: When to Say YES, When to Say NO, To Take Control of Your Life" Dr. Henry Cloud and
Dr. John Townsend

• "Addicted to "Love"" Stephen Arterbun
  • "Every Man's Battle" Stephen Arterburn and Fred Stoeker

The first five are more relative to personal growth, esp helpful for adult victims of child abuse and the last two includes the same audience plus others but focuses on inappropriate contentography and other addictions. Minereth/Meyer New life Clinics decades ago has transformed into just New Life Clinics and are a nation wide group of clinics with outpatient and inpatient counseling grounded in God's Word and Prayer. One can be referred there by a local counselor. They use or did use the seven step book above several years ago. If you or your wife are victims of sexual abuse from childhood, may I also suggest "The Wounded Heart: Hope for Adult Victims of Childhood Sexual Abuse" Dr. B. Allander. A few of these books are designed to process through in a small group and have an accompanying workbook but one can use alone.

Please, please, remember that one cannot successfully work through an addiction without having one to be accountable to. Very, very few can do this without a human being one and not just the One. Also, maybe you should ask yourself if the reason that you have this obsession to know who he is is so that you can target your anger at him and not the real source of her feeling that she had to go outside of the marriage relationship to find that which was missing in the marriage. Knowing and hating him will do absolutely nothing to fix the problem. I am not advocating self-hate but hating THAT (behavior) which causes pain and damage/destruction to you and her. Even though we may be able to point at all kinds of major faults in the other we have ours, too. Part of a marriage relationship is realizing and accepting that. We each must account to God and have our own unique struggles or challenges which He will help us through. Some may last a lifetime but it does get better. But there ARE some which MUST be dealt with in order for the relationship to survive and stand; ones which affect trust, loyalty, and sexual intimacy. These must be accelerated and if need be, that is what New Life Ministries and other counseling (Christian) can help with. A lot of people who came from abused homes did not learn how to healthfully dialog, compromise, negotiate, examine one's self, and such and need outside professional help by one's trained with this. May I make a STRONG suggestion that you NOT go to anyone whose major degree was not in Psychology or Psychiatry.
There is none, no not one righteous and deserving of heaven. God says that for anyone to sin with one of the Commandments that they have violated them all. In God's eyes, one who takes the Lord's name in vain is as bad as a murder who is as bad as a liar who is bad as one who dishonors their parent. I have heard it said that the ground is level at the cross; we all come covered in sin. You may have harder struggles to battle but you have the same all powerful and redeeming Lord that any iconic Christian does and NOTHING is impossible for Him. And the apostle Paul did say that those who have to struggle and wrestle harder with sin have a closer or deeper relationship with God, the Loving and most Gracious Father. I'm sorry for rambling on. I hope something here is helpful. Jim

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LastAcorn99

Sep 15, 2016
Colorado Springs
✟34,262.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I’m so sorry to learn about the challenges you’re facing in your marriage, friend. I know that being a victim of infidelity is very painful. I’d strongly suggest that you seek the help of a marriage counselor to help you navigate this challenging time. Know that I’ll be praying for you and your wife, asking the Lord to bring healing and restoration to your relationship in His perfect timing. May God’s grace and peace surround you, sustain you, and guard your heart and mind as you seek a way forward through this dark and troubling time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jajejllc

Aug 21, 2017
Fayetteville, NC
✟13,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am very sorry that she committed adultery. I am praying for you, that God heal you in your heart. That is beautiful that you were able to forgive her. Forgiveness is a very hard thing to do often times. I think you should not be concerned who she committed adultery with. I hope your wife repents in her heart for the sin she committed. I will pray for the reconciliation of you both.
Thank you.

Reactions: Bluerose31
Upvote 0

jajejllc

Aug 21, 2017
Fayetteville, NC
✟13,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My wife and I have both come from horrible childhoods before the authorities wanted to hear about it. Family matters were just that and no one touched them. We have had to do work out a lot of recovery of those damages psychologically along with becoming new creations in Christ spiritually. Our marriage of over 42 yrs has been a rough and hard-working relationship with a lot of pain in its wake; but it remains grounded in Christ. If you have time and a desire to read to find answers to your questions and the others you are not aware of yet which you will also be asking, maybe you could find something helpful here, we have:

• "Changes That Heal" by Dr. Henry Cloud (His intro is real good)
  • "Life's Healing Choices" John Baker
  • "Seven keys to Spiritual Renewal" Stephen Arterburn and David Stoop
  • "Healing of Damaged Emotions" David A. Seamand
  • "Boundaries: When to Say YES, When to Say NO, To Take Control of Your Life" Dr. Henry Cloud and
Dr. John Townsend

• "Addicted to "Love"" Stephen Arterbun
  • "Every Man's Battle" Stephen Arterburn and Fred Stoeker

The first five are more relative to personal growth, esp helpful for adult victims of child abuse and the last two includes the same audience plus others but focuses on inappropriate contentography and other addictions. Minereth/Meyer New life Clinics decades ago has transformed into just New Life Clinics and are a nation wide group of clinics with outpatient and inpatient counseling grounded in God's Word and Prayer. One can be referred there by a local counselor. They use or did use the seven step book above several years ago. If you or your wife are victims of sexual abuse from childhood, may I also suggest "The Wounded Heart: Hope for Adult Victims of Childhood Sexual Abuse" Dr. B. Allander. A few of these books are designed to process through in a small group and have an accompanying workbook but one can use alone.

Please, please, remember that one cannot successfully work through an addiction without having one to be accountable to. Very, very few can do this without a human being one and not just the One. Also, maybe you should ask yourself if the reason that you have this obsession to know who he is is so that you can target your anger at him and not the real source of her feeling that she had to go outside of the marriage relationship to find that which was missing in the marriage. Knowing and hating him will do absolutely nothing to fix the problem. I am not advocating self-hate but hating THAT (behavior) which causes pain and damage/destruction to you and her. Even though we may be able to point at all kinds of major faults in the other we have ours, too. Part of a marriage relationship is realizing and accepting that. We each must account to God and have our own unique struggles or challenges which He will help us through. Some may last a lifetime but it does get better. But there ARE some which MUST be dealt with in order for the relationship to survive and stand; ones which affect trust, loyalty, and sexual intimacy. These must be accelerated and if need be, that is what New Life Ministries and other counseling (Christian) can help with. A lot of people who came from abused homes did not learn how to healthfully dialog, compromise, negotiate, examine one's self, and such and need outside professional help by one's trained with this. May I make a STRONG suggestion that you NOT go to anyone whose major degree was not in Psychology or Psychiatry. In our wake are several community social workers and fellow Christians at church and even staff at church who surely meant well but did more damage than good and caused serious set backs and one could have destroyed the marriage: he was accused of having "unprofessionally intimate relations" with my wife and another woman and was allowed to just resign from that community health board and go work at a private secular Psychiatrist's office a few miles away. A church staff member totally ignorant of what was involved with the internal damages and struggles and having given just a "simple" verse to follow and it would fix everything almost got one of us to leave the church. One terrible but true way too many times than not is a saying I used to hear, "The Church is Good at Shooting Its Wounded." Wanting to erroneously justify themselves people (everywhere, not just the church) feel a compulsion to seek out those worse off than them and point them out and judge them thinking that they have somehow thwarted notice of their sins. NOT! God sees and knows all. He is all-present and all-knowing along with all-powerful. There is none, no not one righteous and deserving of heaven. God says that for anyone to sin with one of the Commandments that they have violated them all. In God's eyes, a coveter is as bad as a murder. I have heard it said that the ground is level at the cross; we all come covered in sin. You may have harder struggles to battle but you have the same all powerful and redeeming Lord that any iconic Christian does and NOTHING is impossible for Him. And the apostle Paul did say that those who have to struggle and wrestle harder with sin have a closer or deeper relationship with God, the Loving and most Gracious Father. I'm sorry for rambling on. I hope something here is helpful. Jim
Thank you for all the counsel. I will look into the resources mentioned. I am currently counseling with my Pastor that is also a licensed counselor with a doctorate degree related to this. My brothers and sisters have been very supportive. I want to operate in truth and not look on the circumstances.

Upvote 0

jajejllc

Aug 21, 2017
Fayetteville, NC
✟13,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’m so sorry to learn about the challenges you’re facing in your marriage, friend. I know that being a victim of infidelity is very painful. I’d strongly suggest that you seek the help of a marriage counselor to help you navigate this challenging time. Know that I’ll be praying for you and your wife, asking the Lord to bring healing and restoration to your relationship in His perfect timing. May God’s grace and peace surround you, sustain you, and guard your heart and mind as you seek a way forward through this dark and troubling time.
Thank you for your prayers.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

I would steer clear of asking your wife "who it was". It sounds, as you stated above, that she was severely wounded in many many ways from your abuse to her over 18+ years, before February, when you separated. I'm praying for your wife that she is able to get the counseling and support she needs to heal, and that you get solid counseling as well, and separately. Praying that God's will is done in each of your lives.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Pilgrim
Upvote 0